Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Books etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Love the clickbait. Yes it's a weird new variant with a lot of mutations but nobody yet knows if it is a problem or just a curiosity.
While you are right about click bait, I know there have been several variants around since Delta and not one of them was considered dangerous enough to be named.
And to me that’s a big red flag.

Hyakutake

All Australian
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
While you are right about click bait, I know there have been several variants around since Delta and not one of them was considered dangerous enough to be named.
And to me that’s a big red flag.
Absolutely, but they also named Gamma and it really didn't amount to much.

We are a lot further along in vaccination now than when the earlier mutant strains came to the fore, even Delta, and nobody yet knows how good Omicron is at causing disease. One of the reasons I'm less concerned in some ways when people talk about a strain with lots of mutations is that lots of mutations generally means one of infectivity or virulence gets reduced - at some point the changes impact on the virus' ability to either get into you or to cause harm. If Omicron is as they speculate more infective, theres a good chance it may also be less prone to cause severe disease. Coupled with increased vaccination rates I'm still cautiously optimistic.

TradeDraft

Premium Platinum
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad