Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I’ll preface this by saying that this is a rant/melt lol.

I am now symptomatic (fever etc.) and my doctor told me to get a PCR test done because it’s very likely that I have COVID. OK, it is what it is.

We all know about Victoria’s (or Australia’s) rapid antigen test shortages. As expected, I could not find anything.

So, I decided to comply with my doctor’s recommendations and get a PCR test done. I wake up in the morning, go there about 7:20am. Long line, but I expected that. I ended up waiting for 6 hours until about 1:20pm while having a fever etc., which was way longer than expected. As long as I get tested, then I have achieved the outcome that I was seeking, right?

After all that waiting, I was in the first 15-ish cars in the line. I then noticed that the queue was moving quicker than before. Was it because people were getting tested quicker? No. It was because they decided to shut down the site! I asked why and they said that this was ‘due to flooding’ of the site (OK, I’ll admit that was a bit flooded and not the best conditions for the workers, but I think it was a bit of an exaggerated response for the amount it flooded). I asked what the alternative was, and they said that I needed to go to another site near my area. That place probably has a longer wait time because that suburb is even more populated than mine!

Wtf I feel so annoyed now. I waited there for 6 hours :'( It’s also the first time I ever went to get tested for COVID and it went like this.

I’m not mad at the workers, but I’m disappointed at the general fallout of increased COVID numbers here in Australia. I find it very chaotic (at least in the Eastern side of the country) when I really expected it all to go smoothly.

Did anyone else experience the same thing in Victoria or other parts of the country?

My last test was a bit over 2 hours in the car waiting, which is not ideal with a 5 year old.
That was bad enough but it seems I was one of the lucky ones.

I’ll preface this by saying that this is a rant/melt lol.

I am now symptomatic (fever etc.) and my doctor told me to get a PCR test done because it’s very likely that I have COVID. OK, it is what it is.

We all know about Victoria’s (or Australia’s) rapid antigen test shortages. As expected, I could not find anything.

So, I decided to comply with my doctor’s recommendations and get a PCR test done. I wake up in the morning, go there about 7:20am. Long line, but I expected that. I ended up waiting for 6 hours until about 1:20pm while having a fever etc., which was way longer than expected. As long as I get tested, then I have achieved the outcome that I was seeking, right?

After all that waiting, I was in the first 15-ish cars in the line. I then noticed that the queue was moving quicker than before. Was it because people were getting tested quicker? No. It was because they decided to shut down the site! I asked why and they said that this was ‘due to flooding’ of the site (OK, I’ll admit that was a bit flooded and not the best conditions for the workers, but I think it was a bit of an exaggerated response for the amount it flooded). I asked what the alternative was, and they said that I needed to go to another site near my area. That place probably has a longer wait time because that suburb is even more populated than mine!

Wtf I feel so annoyed now. I waited there for 6 hours :'( It’s also the first time I ever went to get tested for COVID and it went like this.

I’m not mad at the workers, but I’m disappointed at the general fallout of increased COVID numbers here in Australia. I find it very chaotic (at least in the Eastern side of the country) when I really expected it all to go smoothly.

Did anyone else experience the same thing in Victoria or other parts of the country?

Testing is a shambles.

You also have to wait 4+ days to get a result at the moment if you manage to get tested.

Technically you're supposed to isolate until you get a negative result.

In your case, where you're likely positive and symptomatic, I'd just assume it's a positive and stay home for the week and skip sitting in the car for 6 hours to be told you need to stay home for the week 5 days later.

Finally have to get one done.

Booked in online this morning for 10:30am test tomorrow, will be in the first few tested for the day with no long waits maybe 5-10 minutes and have my results back within 24-48 hours.

I'm one of the very very fortunate ones.

Testing is a shambles.

You also have to wait 4+ days to get a result at the moment if you manage to get tested.

In your case, where you're likely positive and symptomatic, I'd just assume it's a positive and stay home for the week and skip sitting in the car for 6 hours to be told you need to stay home for the week 5 days later.

Yeah I would do the same. They were not prepared for these sort of numbers and other states (hi QLD) adding in their testing requirements for travel was not helpful.

Plus now we are seeing what happens when a large amount of the workforce are out isolating or ill.

Testing is a shambles.

OK, I see. I’ll just get tested when I become asymptomatic or a week has passed. That’s how it works yeah? Thanks for the advice!

Well, unless something very short comes up or I receive a rapid antigen test somehow. I don’t think I’m prepared to wait for another 6 hours again

OK, I see. I’ll just get tested when I become asymptomatic or a week has passed. That’s how it works yeah? Thanks for the advice!

Well, unless something very short comes up or I receive a rapid antigen test somehow. I don’t think I’m prepared to wait for another 6 hours again
Most people I know are doing that so obviously the actual numbers are 2 to 3 times what is being reported
Not sure but you might be eligible for $450 dollars if employed and get a pcr positive test then isolate

Most people I know are doing that so obviously the actual numbers are 2 to 3 times what is being reported
Not sure but you might be eligible for $450 dollars if employed and get a pcr positive test then isolate
Yeah I’m not sure because I usually work from home, but I think my work has something in place for those getting tested so I’ll just see what they say.

Anyways, I ended up going to the Melbourne Showgrounds this morning and getting PCR-tested there. It’s so much quicker with the wait only being a little over an hour. Better than the 6-hour wait time here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back