Autopsy Cox forward

Remove this Banner Ad

King Huskii

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why play Cox forward

He's our best key back while we have Hughes and McDonald back against quality forwards?

Erasmus is sitting on the pine as sub while Hughes is costing us goals through turnovers.

Soo

I paid no attention to anything during the pre-season. Was Cox forward actually a thing or was this just for matching up against Brisbane?

It's why I hated Pearce forward when we tried it. You don't want these intercepting statues twirling around doing forward patterns and running and jumping at the ball all game. They're defenders. End of story.

Didn't work imo.

Might've helped keep their key defenders busy and get Treacy and Amiss a few more goals but Cox himself didn't have much impact.

If Cox went back when McDonald was injured then he wouldn't have injured himself leading for a mark up forward. Young didn't need to go back he could have stayed midfield for more drive

If Cox went back when McDonald was injured then he wouldn't have injured himself leading for a mark up forward. Young didn't need to go back he could have stayed midfield for more drive

Bailey Banfield played the rest of the game as a defender. Seemed weird when Cox was there and we were 30+ points up.

I like Cox forward, especially with Jackson in the ruck.

Cox has done his hammy playing CHB, being nudged in the back didn't help today, but think he was still at risk of doing it playing in the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That hammy could have happened forward or back, to a lesser extent, in training too.

I'm fine with him being a swingman, though I don't think his forward craft merits it. A one trick pony, too big to be pushed around, lacks other necassary forward skills.

I think we're always better off with a resting ruck than Cox as 3rd tall (forward), unless swung forward midgame due to dire need.

I have no problem with him forward, I genuinely think he could do some damage

The real problem is he was clearly underdone, this was bleedingly obvious when we didn't send him back after the McDonald injury. (Was already cooked by that time in the game)

Then we lost a player and he didn't get subbed which seems like it was the plan (sending Fyfe forward, Erasmus into his role seemed to be the plan after subbing cox)

Instead cox was running around cooked by midway through the third

It looks like poor judgement on the s&C side of things but I disagree it was poor judgement playing him forward

I remember Freo playing Brennan cox as a forward back in 2018.... Mixed results though.

18 goals and 14 behinds in 14 games in 2018.

Easily his best game up forward was when freo beat the crows by under a goal. Cox kicked 4 goals that day.

I remember Freo playing Brennan cox as a forward back in 2018.... Mixed results though.

18 goals and 14 behinds in 14 games in 2018.

Easily his best game up forward was when freo beat the crows by under a goal. Cox kicked 4 goals that day.
thats pretty good considering his age then. Not everyone can be Amiss

All too long ago to accurately recollect.

But, I thought we tried to give him a tonne of supply during the early part of the rebuild. His decision making was too slow for him to bring the smalls into it, plus not as nimble as the kpd's on him and being 2nd to the ball a bit much.

Hence repurposing him as a defender and continuing our hunt for tall forwards.

All too long ago to accurately recollect.

But, I thought we tried to give him a tonne of supply during the early part of the rebuild. His decision making was too slow for him to bring the smalls into it, plus not as nimble as the kpd's on him and being 2nd to the ball a bit much.

Hence repurposing him as a defender and continuing our hunt for tall forwards.
Yeah he doesn't move/pass the eye test as a forward. He's 100% an intercept defender.

I really don’t understand why we played cox forward. I know it’s hindsight hero stuff, but he was always going to be underdone and forcing him to chase Andrews around all day was clearly a mistake. Parking him in the D50 as an intercept marker would have been less taxing physically with McDonald chasing Hipwood.
Given we have the triple Js up forward when Darcy comes back, there’s no reason to play Cox forward again.

I really don’t understand why we played cox forward. I know it’s hindsight hero stuff, but he was always going to be underdone and forcing him to chase Andrews around all day was clearly a mistake. Parking him in the D50 as an intercept marker would have been less taxing physically with McDonald chasing Hipwood.
Given we have the triple Js up forward when Darcy comes back, there’s no reason to play Cox forward again.
And play three talls down back? Not a good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back