Toast Dale Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for Dale the Great to hang up the boots. I do not think the club can afford the tape to hold him together a true warrior until the end. We must find a position on the coaching staff for him next season you do not often find his qualities just to good to let go to an opposition club.

Last edited:
I hope Dale doesn’t try a comeback if it’s an ACL. Not many players play great footy at 37 and certainly not when they’ve missed a few seasons with knee injuries. Always thought M Boyd would have been better off pulling the pin after the flag (though his reasons for going on were sound).

To come from playing VFL reserves at 22 to being a 250 game, AA premiership player is an outstanding career. It’s sad that today went the way it did but he’s a bulldog legend and I’d probably prefer he went out like that than doing long term damage trying to squeeze out another season.

One bloke I would never write off is Moz.

ACL or not to already say that is the end of this man is disrespectful to the legend
You can't be serious. His body is done as has happened to many great dogs before him. Age catches even our greats.

I love this guy like all you do, i love the greats before him equaly.

He walks with a premiership medalion and that one only highliht that is bulldog history.

You can't be serious. His body is done as has happened to many great dogs before him. Age catches even our greats.

I love this guy like all you do, i love the greats before him equaly.

He walks with a premiership medalion and that one only highliht that is bulldog history.

Any mere mortal I would say it’s done with certainty and that may end up the case here with Moz

But until I hear it from his mouth I won’t be surprised if he gives it another crack.

Basically 3 ACL injuries inside 18 months. Moz might not get to make the call.

Gutted for him. You’ll never hear a bad word spoken about him and it’s super rare to say that in today’s day and age. Ultra reliable player who always has a smile on his face and gives his time to anyone and everyone.
Watching on the telly, morris was coaching the guys on the bench when he came back up from the rooms. He knew at that point what most know now..... he is a great bulldog and always will be.

100% agree. Would love for him to be back next season as a backline coach, and to keep him around the club in a full capacity. Genius footballer and one of the best defenders i've ever watched. Will be an asset for our future KPD's to learn from and to have in our coaches box I would expect.

Seeing him in a Bombers or St. Kilda polo or something similar next year would make me sick.

"DALE Morris's return to football on Sunday was a story of many layers.
It had chapters on mindpower, medical defiance and one of potential sporting fairytale as the 36-year-old, one of the top shelf AFL good guys, found himself back at the highest level after damaging an ACL in the pre-season.
But the storyline with which it ended on Sunday at Marvel Stadium against Fremantle was a career-ending one for Morris as well as a cautionary one – for Richmond's Alex Rance who, like Morris, has spent the past four months immersed in the most unlikely of comebacks from a torn ACL."

Vintage Barrett. What an absolute scumbag, already burying the great man before we even know that it's an ACL for sure. As much as it's probably time for Moz to hang up the boots (for the sake of his body only), I hope he goes around once more just to stick it up that worm.

Mrs dw and I went and watched The Keeper tonight, the story of the German PoW Bernhard (Bert) Trautmann who became one of the greatest goalkeepers ever in English football with Manchester City. It's a surprisingly good movie and worth watching, especially for you Man City supporters.

He famously played out the last 17 minutes of the 1956 FA Cup final against Birmingham City - with a broken neck if you don't mind. He made several courageous saves in that time, diving at the feet of his opponents. They won 3-1. AFter an x-ray he discovered a few days later that he'd come within millimetres of quadriplegia or even death and was laid up in a full body cast for weeks. He was told he might never play again but went on to play 545 games, retiring in 1964 at age 42.

I kept thinking of Dale Morris. He too has been a player with steely resolve who has defied conventional medical wisdom, common sense and the laws of anatomy. Played through a spinal fracture to taste victory in the biggest event on the calendar.

What a legend.

I proposed to my now wifey just before the 2016 Best & Fairest dinner (Grand Final was still the highlight for me that year, but wifey is satisfied it was the best week of my year!). I was introduced to Moz by a mate who mentioned we just got engaged & it was all smiles & congratulating me & my partner - he made me feel like I was the one who played in a Grand Final! Testament to the character of Moz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"DALE Morris's return to football on Sunday was a story of many layers.
It had chapters on mindpower, medical defiance and one of potential sporting fairytale as the 36-year-old, one of the top shelf AFL good guys, found himself back at the highest level after damaging an ACL in the pre-season.
But the storyline with which it ended on Sunday at Marvel Stadium against Fremantle was a career-ending one for Morris as well as a cautionary one – for Richmond's Alex Rance who, like Morris, has spent the past four months immersed in the most unlikely of comebacks from a torn ACL."

Vintage Barrett. What an absolute scumbag, already burying the great man before we even know that it's an ACL for sure. As much as it's probably time for Moz to hang up the boots (for the sake of his body only), I hope he goes around once more just to stick it up that worm.
Nothing in the article you quoted was disrespectful to dale morris.

Hate barrett all you like but hate him for valid reasons.

Nothing in the article you quoted was disrespectful to dale morris.

Hate barrett all you like but hate him for valid reasons.
Stating that someone's career is over as fact (bolded bit), before they have declared so themselves, is highly presumptuous and disrespectful. Doing so to someone like Moz, who has made a habit of defying his career from ending, makes one look like a fool, on top of the disrespect. I stand by my reasoning, and reckon that Moz deserves better.

Forgot to add earlier, up by 6-7 goals and this bloke RUNS off the field after potentially doing his ACL so the Dogs aren't short a player for a second. Probably bleeds red white and blue as well.
All the best to Dale Morris. As already has been stated, Bulldogs need to keep him as a defensive development coach, to help with the young bunch of talks we now need.

Sad way to bow out, absolute warrior for the club, was one of my fav. dogs players for sure, will always be remembered for that tackle on buddy that lead to the sealer in the '16 grand final, as others have said hopefully they can give him a role at the club as backline coach or something so he's still around.

In hindsight, he probably should have had surgery. Bone broth is all very well as a supplement but traditional medicine is best.
Probably being picky here but bone broth is the traditional medicine. Knee reconstructions are a modern thing. If they'd had them in the 1950s John Coleman would have played on and kicked another 1000 goals.

Dogs_R_Us said: In hindsight, he probably should have had surgery. Bone broth is all very well as a supplement but modern medicine is best.

Probably being picky here but bone broth is the traditional medicine. Knee reconstructions are a modern thing. If they'd had them in the 1950s John Coleman would have played on and kicked another 1000 goals.

My mistake, amended! Thanks, dogwatch.

I don't know if it was a front or not but Morro's face said it all. I Think he is a man who has come to the realisation and that if he could sneak in a few more games he'd be happy to see how it goes, but he looked like a fulfilled man, one who was at peace with it all. He will still be around the club, I have no doubt coaching and mentoring in some way. The man is a gem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back