Damaged Reps in the Media/Journalistic Domain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree that Watson is unable to comment without his Essendon bias shining through.

However, I'll give him credit for actually admitting that Hird had a lot to answer for on the Ch 7 panel show Tuesday night. First time I'd heard him say anything along these lines.
Bit late, she cried. As soon as the game doesn't go the way he wanted, that's when he think Hird has something to answer for.

Robbo already had no rep. His explanation for #standbyalbert on 360 was pathetic

Caroline Wilson was very good, but have never been a fan of her when she calls for players/coaches heads, she does it too often for it to be consistently accurate. Never disliked her apart from that but in general reported this saga well.

Shame File:

Chip LeGrand
Rohan Connolly
Robbo
San Newman
Bruce Francis
Tim Watson
Graham Cornes
Alan Jones

Others???

These dudes have stained their reputations badly. Horribly. Their bias and irrational angle left no doubts that they were either stupid and ignorant and/or compromised by Essendon/the AFL.
I've included Bruce Francis in there, cause his comedic role in this and what he does next is definitely worthy of discussion.

Gold Star:

Damian Barrett
Rebecca Wilson
Caroline Wilson (to a degree)
Patrick Smith
Dave Culbert

I always thought Barrett was an utter jerk. But he needs kudos for effectively breaking the story that no one wanted to touch, and sticking to his guns.
He sat there and was ridiculed by Sam Newman each week but maintained the rage - albeit in a rational and professional way.
I'd add the Bolta to the list but that assumes he had a reputation to begin with.

Agree that Watson is unable to comment without his Essendon bias shining through.

However, I'll give him credit for actually admitting that Hird had a lot to answer for on the Ch 7 panel show Tuesday night. First time I'd heard him say anything along these lines.

i give him absolutely * all credit.

makes every excuse under the sun and only changes his tack at the last moment.

One thing I've been critical of with Andy Maher is that he MC'd a lunch where Zaharakis spoke (a Marcellin event on 20 July 2013) and said that he wasn't truly scared of needles and that he was asked to go with that story.

I think it was then up to Andy to challenge the prevailing Zaharakis narrative but other than hinting at it (eg ) he hasn't done so. Maybe because he's too close to Tim Watson.

please don't give Rebecca Wilson a gold star for anything. If you spew enough opinions around eventually one of them is bound to be right.

As to Robbo it has been insane watching him on AFL360 over the years that this debacle has taken place. He really does have the emotional intelligence of a child. Gets worked up and angry, tried constantly to deflect attention away from Essendon/Hird and on to the AFL, indulged in conspiracy theories (the Essendon mother was a plant!), and any time he even attempted to ask a difficult question he'd become a fidgety, pen-playing, note-taking mess. But his WORST offence of all of that, was his CONSTANT refusal to take responsibility for his opinions in favor of blaming non-existent ghost entities:

"people think..."
"some people out there are saying..."
"people are asking..."
"to the people out there who wonder..."
"everybody is out there saying..."
"there's people out there now thinking that..."
"people question whether..."

FFS man, just be an adult and stop hiding behind imaginary third parties.

Last edited:

I decided not to have an AFL puppet/gatekeeper category.

She was knowingly correct and incessant on Hird and Essendon. She was knowingly incorrect and incessant on the players.

But at all times, she was a slave to her masters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we really condemning people for what is essentially an extension of their opinion?

OP is on the same level as the multitude of Herald Sun comments section posters that have appeared since Tuesday.

There's a difference between an opinion and an agenda.
Graham Cornes was so painful to listen to as he'd clearly drawn a line in the sand and
stuck by his mate Dank regardless. He described the Essendon saga as a storm in a tea cup!?

People like Robbo should've backed away from the very beginning. His alignment with the bombers
and obvious bitterness and resentment was clear from day one. It was near on impossible
to read anything he penned with seriousness. In the last 6-12 months it became utterly
embarrassing. The latest Rohan Connolly article on Kochie also reeks of bitterness and
resentment. As for Sam Newman, he's run with the Graham Cornes model
of 'Ahh it's nothing, let it go for god's sake". In the end Ol' Sammy became irrelevant.
He became Abe Simpson. Blah blah blah....zzzzzzzzzzz

There's a difference between an opinion and an agenda.
Graham Cornes was so painful to listen to as he'd clearly drawn a line in the sand and
stuck by his mate Dank regardless. He described the Essendon saga as a storm in a tea cup!?

People like Robbo should've backed away from the very beginning. His alignment with the bombers
and obvious bitterness and resentment was clear from day one. It was near on impossible
to read anything he penned with seriousness. In the last 6-12 months it became utterly
embarrassing. The latest Rohan Connolly article on Kochie also reeks of bitterness and
resentment. As for Sam Newman, he's run with the Graham Cornes model
of 'Ahh it's nothing, let it go for god's sake". In the end Ol' Sammy became irrelevant.
He became Abe Simpson. Blah blah blah....zzzzzzzzzzz

That's all well and good if you're prepared to apply it to journos with a differing opinion, Caro et al.

All have been guilty of pushing an agenda.

One Essendon personality who has gone up in my opinion is Lloydy. He has more reasons than most to be biased but if he was it never really showed.

Apparently he was so shocked by the verdict that he drove home to his old place instead of his new house.

That could also be due to his perceived lack of intelligence though.

Lloyd had at least one cringe-worthy moment when he said that "Jobe is such a team man he wouldn't even be thinking about his Brownlow".

Aside from that, I thought he handled himself reasonably well. He came off looking a hell of a lot better than Robbo who stunk it up something shocking.

Are we really condemning people for what is essentially an extension of their opinion?

OP is on the same level as the multitude of Herald Sun comments section posters that have appeared since Tuesday.
Of course they're being judged.

It was as clear as day what happened, even to me. And I wasn't alone - this board and many others were rife with punters who knew exactly what has happened.
Yet these 'experts' and journalists, with access, connections and resources that no one else has - got it so badly, so embarrassingly wrong.
They deserve to be shamed due to pathetic incompetence.
As I said - we all knew what happened. But these people couldn't be fagged doing a tincy wincy bit of research?
They deserve to be shamed.
The biggest story EVER in Australian sport, and these people never bothered to find out what we all knew?

How ludicrous does that sound? Almost too ludicrous to be true.
Which makes you wonder whether it was actually incompetence at all?

Or was it much, much worse than that?

Barrett broke it. Niall ended up having the best source at the end: broke Hird going and the verdict.

McKenzie's interview was used to ban the players. Christ I hope he now digs further on the AOD financials.

Caro gave great colour but behind those.

Disagree on Sam Newman, he is a caricature that has made John Newman a lot of money over the years. Robbo as well, is just an idiot that is used to appeal to idiots. If you take either of them seriously you are a mark ;)

Try as I might, I have failed to identify anyone that rates Robbo (at least way out West).

How Fox Footy thinks he adds to 360 is a complete mystery to me.

Gil exposed him for the simpleton he is when he tried to ask his hard questions without fully reading/understanding the reports and evidence provided on the PED scandal. Gerard's WTF look on occasions was priceless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back