Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for Nicks…

Do you view Curtin as a 1v1 defender?

If the answer is YES then the follow up question is..
Why did we waste pick 8 on this type of player particularly after what happened with McAsey?

If the answer is NO then the follow up question is…
Why are you playing him as one?
Exact view i have. We know from the SANFL hes not a last line of the defence key back so why play him like that in the AFL instead of trying to utilise his strengths.

Question for Nicks…

Why did we waste pick 8 on this type of player particularly after what happened with McAsey?

Nicks doesn’t rate him. Simple as that. Clearly was reluctant to debut him. That’s not the way you treat young players. You back them in.

Kid should do a JHF and request a trade to WC at the end of the season, be the best thing for his development.

Nicks sees him as KPD and Nicks will be our coach for as long as the eye can see.

After all of Nicks mistakes we haven't sacked him, we've bloody extended him so he aint going anywhere.

Question for Nicks…

He's either the worst coach in the AFL or close to it.

Question for Nicks…

He didn’t play him as a KPD, the lions dragged him by positioning his player deep to expose him. Took Nicks too long to wake up to it.

The issue for Curtin is he isn’t a KPD, he’s not nimble enough to play on small half forwards. They don’t see him as a mid. So they don’t know what to do with him. Personally I’d play him at half forward.

He didn’t play him as a KPD, the lions dragged him by positioning his player deep to expose him. Took Nicks too long to wake up to it.

The issue for Curtin is he isn’t a KPD, he’s not nimble enough to play on small half forwards. They don’t see him as a mid. So they don’t know what to do with him. Personally I’d play him at half forward.
I thought we might sub Walker as he was looking cooked and move Curtin forward for a try.

Burns mentioned in an interview in the past week or two that Curtin plays like a taller Birchill so they must be aware of his rebound abilities. Its so odd they say this s**t but none of it translates to their game day role...
It is becoming really clear there are big gulfs in the beliefs of both Burns & VB when it comes to ideologies and players compared to Nicks.

Nicks is doing a bit of a Robinson Crusoe in the box, a bit like what Pyke was doing in his twilight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guy looks off the pace. Needs more time to develop. Can’t rush kids.
I'll go with playing out of position.

Played juniors as a midfielder his whole career till a growth spurt last year where his coaches went. Ooh, tall, let's play him as a kpd.

He's not used to defending and can't beat the leading patterns of forwards at this level. If we're playing his as a defender he's 2 years away from being there. And why the **** did we draft him. We have good kpd depth. We don't need him there. And he'll be burried

And the compensation well get from someone like butts/murray/Keane won't compensate what we used on him. Bust.

Now. If we play him in the midfield. I'll wait and see how that goes. I'd love him on a wing right now. Move him there and jones/nankervis to the flank. Could be better for the team.

Question for Nicks…

We wasted pick 8 because the philosophies of the recruitment team vs the coaching group are so different they may as well work for different clubs.

I still think it's best for all parties if he requests a trade to the Eagles. He's not the right fit for us - we seem to think he's another Talia.

I still think it's best for all parties if he requests a trade to the Eagles. He's not the right fit for us - we seem to think he's another Talia.

I don't think it will happen, but I'd be open to it.

The current situation is the recipe for West Coast to start getting ideas at least.

Issue is he’s unlikely to be what he was worth to us in a trade last year.

In a side that knows how to use him he’d be good. Either as a third defender once he develops or half forward to start with.

He looked off it but that's because he was on the last line of defence every time.

When he got the ball in his hands he was actually pretty good. In the first quarter had a fend off, a side step and nice disposal.

Why we didn't move Jones back to a lockdown role on Ah Chee or Cameron, and switch Curtin to a wing I have no idea.
Nicks

In what way do we think he's another Talia? It's pretty clear the club thinks he's a half-back or a third defensive tall. If you said another Lever I'd at least understand where you're coming from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back