Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With the game going towards more 1 on 1 contests inside 50 Fog will destroy the comp. Much like Milera we might have to wait until fitness catches the talent

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fog had some really good physicality around the ball in the first quarter. Reckon the fitness level is still a few years off. Will take another two preseasons to burn all the puppy fat.

Is there any evidence to suggest "pumping games" into a player makes them better in the long run?

Teams that do this are generally complete s**t and ruin players all the time. Melbourne, Carlton, Gold Coast, even GWS had a ton of very early picks amount to nothing.

We have elite development and specifically don't pump games into kids so I'm happy to back in that decision. Doedee being one example of only playing him when he's ready.

Is there any evidence to suggest "pumping games" into a player makes them better in the long run?

Teams that do this are generally complete s**t and ruin players all the time. Melbourne, Carlton, Gold Coast, even GWS had a ton of very early picks amount to nothing.

We have elite development and specifically don't pump games into kids so I'm happy to back in that decision. Doedee being one example of only playing him when he's ready.

The inverse is Milera there who we heavily focused getting game time into seeing he's at 44 games and looking like cementing himself as a very damaging player. To go for some fun examples of games being pumped into players quickly Dangerfield was at 43 odd games by the end of season 3. Fyfe was at 50 by the end of his third season, Martin was at 60 odd. Now Fyfe and Martin came on rather quickly, but all of them were recipients of a fair bit of trust early. Who is to say Fogarty won't either especially in a good set up which is absolutely vital to development?

The problem with your example is we are all quite aware of how a clubs set up can mess with development, and to equate with sacrificing a third tall to what Melbourne/Gold Coast/Carlton did is rather hyperbolic.

Last edited:

Didn’t Truck start as a forward but ended up a full back. They are both big and slow I struggle to see Fog getting into the forward lines much without injuries. Just seems big, not tall and Immobile. Pretty much like Truck.
He might be like Truck in statue, but he is definitely quicker and more agile than truck. By a long way.

Last edited:
The inverse is Milera there who we heavily focused getting game time into seeing he's at 44 games and looking like cementing himself as a very damaging player. To go for some fun examples of games being pumped into players quickly Dangerfield was at 43 odd games by the end of season 3. Fyfe was at 50 by the end of his third season, Martin was at 60 odd. Now Fyfe and Martin came on rather quickly, but all of them were recipients of a fair bit of trust early. Who is to say Fogarty won't either especially in a good set up which is absolutely vital to development?

The problem with your example is we are all quite aware of how a clubs set up can mess with development, and to equate with sacrificing a third tall to what Melbourne/Gold Coast/Carlton did is rather hyperbolic.
The problem with your whole argument is you suggest playing Fogarty at the expense of a proven match winner in Tom Lynch. Don't think too many are against getting matches into Fogarty but a lot of us do have problems with it being at Tom Lynch's expense. We were very keen to re-contract Tom Lynch for a reason, and given his role is quite unique in our set up it is crystal clear he's not making way for young Darcy any time soon how ever much you're wishing and a hopin'.

The problem with your whole argument is you suggest playing Fogarty at the expense of a proven match winner in Tom Lynch. Don't think too many are against getting matches into Fogarty but a lot of us do have problems with it being at Tom Lynch's expense. We were very keen to re-contract Tom Lynch for a reason, and given his role is quite unique in our set up it is crystal clear he's not making way for young Darcy any time soon how ever much you're wishing and a hopin'.

Tex, JJ and Lynch (and Betts) are locks, but that doesn't mean we have to play them every game. With some planned rests against lesser teams and possible injuries, we should be able to get games into Fog (and McAdam and Stengle). Also, would it really matter if we played 4 talls against gold coast or some other teams? I don't think Fog gets anything like a full season at AFL level, but I would be surprised if we can't plan get 10 into him. More if we play him down back to cover KPD injuries, but not sure I'm sold on that.

It's pretty misleading to suggest that 'when he's good and ready' was the rationale behind Doedee's playing, as opposed to, say, Jake Lever leaving.

We played Jake Kelly over Doedee as well so I wouldn't say Lever leaving is as clear cut of a reason as you are making it out to be.

We easily could have played him over Kelly but didn't

If there are plenty of examples of pumping games into kids both failing and succeeding, while there also being plenty of examples of not doing that both failing and succeeding, that would suggest there is no correlation between the amount of games of AFL a prospect plays, and their final success

We played Jake Kelly over Doedee as well so I wouldn't say Lever leaving is as clear cut of a reason as you are making it out to be.

Kelly was actually very, very good in 2017. No way Doedee was pushing him out of that side. It would actually be of great benefit to our side that Kelly recaptures that form again going in to this year rather than the poo he consistently served up last year.

He might be like Truck in statue, but he is definitely quicker and more agile than truck. By a long way.

My worry is that we sent him to the gym in the off season, rather than getting him to trim down and work on his aerobic traits. I dont think we need him to bulk up too much. I think he needs to stay lean and agile. He will gain body mass naturally over time, that is his build.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My worry is that we sent him to the gym in the off season, rather than getting him to trim down and work on his aerobic traits. I dont think we need him to bulk up too much. I think he needs to stay lean and agile. He will gain body mass naturally over time, that is his build.
There's a pretty big difference between size and strength though. Especially as a 19 year old kid.

But that looks like a mistake in hindsight. It goes into the debate about our overly conservative selection policies. Sure, Kelly wasn't doing anything wrong at the time. But why couldn't we identify what Doedee might have brought could have been even better.

There's a pretty big difference between size and strength though. Especially as a 19 year old kid.

I'm not saying they are the same thing. But he didn't look outsized or out muscled in his first season. He was able to compete at the level with his body size. What he lacked was endurance and perhaps the ability to repeat sprint. Why not put him on the same program that Tex has been on in the off season. Tex has trimmed down to get himself more in line with the way the game went in 2018. Fog has several years to put that strength on gradually. Right now, his main issue is not lack of strength, but lack of stamina. He could also do with a yard of pace, so if he can at least maintain his top speed for longer then it essentially eats into that potential weakness.

I'm not saying they are the same thing. But he didn't look outsized or out muscled in his first season. He was able to compete at the level with his body size. What he lacked was endurance and perhaps the ability to repeat sprint. Why not put him on the same program that Tex has been on in the off season. Tex has trimmed down to get himself more in line with the way the game went in 2018. Fog has several years to put that strength on gradually. Right now, his main issue is not lack of strength, but lack of stamina. He could also do with a yard of pace, so if he can at least maintain his top speed for longer then it essentially eats into that potential weakness.

What are you basing this on?

I
I don’t think he can lose weight. It’s his build. He did lose some body fat as his skin folds have improved but it doesn’t look like he can trim down his legs. Unfortunately he’d still need to do gym work for performance. He still needs to train for strength.

What are you basing this on?

Which part? It was an opinion. Fog doesnt need to hit the gym. I look at Gunston and Roughhead for example. Both have good strength, but neither have really bulked up too much over the course of their careers. I think Tex was a really ideal build when he first came into the competition. I think he has put on too much muscle over the years. I'd rather we looked to keep Fog as agile and lean as possible.

Which part? It was an opinion. Fog doesnt need to hit the gym. I look at Gunston and Roughhead for example. Both have good strength, but neither have really bulked up too much over the course of their careers. I think Tex was a really ideal build when he first came into the competition. I think he has put on too much muscle over the years. I'd rather we looked to keep Fog as agile and lean as possible.

What I mean is, you suggested that he needs to work on his stamina. How do you know that he hasn't, and how do you know this area hasn't improved markedly this preseason?

Just a couple of weeks ago everyone was going on about how 'he's lost his puppy fat' based on a couple of photos. Now he's been bulked up??

He's a huge unit and very little has changed. Maybe a few skin folds but nothing noticeable

What I mean is, you suggested that he needs to work on his stamina. How do you know that he hasn't, and how do you know this area hasn't improved markedly this preseason?

I’m not saying I know anything, which is why I started by saying my worry is...

AFC showed a pic with him pumping weights.

Was a pretty quiet game from him. Nothing to worry about, but nothing to suggest he has come a long way from last season in terms of that side of things.

Will be a slow burn, but while he is getting there I just hope that they focus on agility and not muscle.

Tex was playing in a legit SANFL team. But yeah, we'd be hoping to see a few goals in the twos if he plays.

The SANFL team should be a lot stronger this year.

Back