Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Which brings us to why did he actually want out?
My understanding is that it was two major drivers

1. Money - Was not happy that he turned down a lot of money in 2017 to re-sign with us only for us to get Gibbs through the door a month or so later.
2. Relationship with Pyke soured and I am not sure what the reasons were. They just didn't get along. Behind closed doors Pyke is a hard bastard, a really demanding coach but a fair one. Players love him but obviously Mitch didn't and the relationship was worsening as the season has progressed.

Now this is what I have heard from a current player but take it however you like. For the record, the player in question absolutely loves Pyke and believes that he will lead AFC to a premiership.

My understanding is that it was two major drivers

1. Money - Was not happy that he turned down a lot of money in 2017 to re-sign with us only for us to get Gibbs through the door a month or so later.
2. Relationship with Pyke soured and I am not sure what the reasons were. They just didn't get along. Behind closed doors Pyke is a hard bastard, a really demanding coach but a fair one. Players love him but obviously Mitch didn't and the relationship was worsening as the season has progressed.

Now this is what I have heard from a current player but take it however you like. For the record, the player in question absolutely loves Pyke and believes that he will lead AFC to a premiership.

That sounds entirely credible.

I have a problem with "1. Money". If that is what happened - so, the story would be that Mitch "turned down a lot of money" presumably from another club, signed for less than that at Adelaide, with his eyes open, and then gets pissy when Gibbs turns up - because? Because the club told him they didn't have any spare cash when clearly they did (for Gibbs)? But if the club had earmarked cash for Gibbs, then that $ wasn't available to pay any other player including McGovern, so there was no misleading involved.

Did McGovern think that somehow if we hadn't got Gibbs there would have been another $200K or whatever on the table for him?

He might have to confront the uncomfortable fact that maybe what we offered him was what we thought he was worth, and it had nothing to do with Gibbs.

- OK, maybe some would say that meant we were lowballing him, but at the time he allegedly had at least one bigger offer on the table, so he knew where he stood. Good luck to him for managing to backtrack on the poor decision on his part, and get the $ from Carlton, but I'm not sure it's a reason to be pissy at the AFC.

For the record, the player in question absolutely loves Pyke and believes that he will lead AFC to a premiership.

I really like that bit :)

That sounds entirely credible.

I have a problem with "1. Money". If that is what happened - so, the story would be that Mitch "turned down a lot of money" presumably from another club, signed for less than that at Adelaide, with his eyes open, and then gets pissy when Gibbs turns up - because? Because the club told him they didn't have any spare cash when clearly they did (for Gibbs)? But if the club had earmarked cash for Gibbs, then that $ wasn't available to pay any other player including McGovern, so there was no misleading involved.

Did McGovern think that somehow if we hadn't got Gibbs there would have been another $200K or whatever on the table for him?

He might have to confront the uncomfortable fact that maybe what we offered him was what we thought he was worth, and it had nothing to do with Gibbs.

- OK, maybe some would say that meant we were lowballing him, but at the time he allegedly had at least one bigger offer on the table, so he knew where he stood. Good luck to him for managing to backtrack on the poor decision on his part, and get the $ from Carlton, but I'm not sure it's a reason to be pissy at the AFC.

I really like that bit :)

The other odd thing about the money is that between him signing and us getting Gibbs about $1m in cap space walked out the door.

McGovern wasn't angry about us signing Gibbs, when McGovern signed we were still trying to keep Cameron and Lever at the club, when they left there was more than enough money for Gibbs. In the 2017 trade period Carlton wanted a player for Gibbs, we refused to involve wanted players in the trade, Carlton went behind our backs (which is fine) and made a godfather offer to McGovern to ask for a trade to them as part of the Gibbs deal, he did and we said no, he had the shits ever since.

McGovern wasn't angry about us signing Gibbs, when McGovern signed we were still trying to keep Cameron and Lever at the club, when they left there was more than enough money for Gibbs. In the 2017 trade period Carlton wanted a player for Gibbs, we refused to involve wanted players in the trade, Carlton went behind our backs (which is fine) and made a godfather offer to McGovern to ask for a trade to them as part of the Gibbs deal, he did and we said no, he had the shits ever since.
I'd buy that.

Much like the Boyd/Griffin shenanigans. It's also what we should have done to Carlton in the gov trade rather than take 13.

Thats called a nah * you, nah * you stand off.

At the time, we knew that Lever was going. Everyone at the club knew about it, including the players. Its why some leaders got shitty about his selection.

Cameron we knew that he was going but we wanted to convince him to stay and we had him under contract so we could exercise that right.

Interesting thing is, both McGovern and Cameron are managed by Colin Young and both are gone for more money and both left while under contract. Cameron with more class while McGovern departed like a spoilt brat.

At the time, we knew that Lever was going. Everyone at the club knew about it, including the players. Its why some leaders got shitty about his selection.
Yet McGovern , same/similar attitude is selected after injury?

Sure the AFC may have been padding the trade pick but still in any organisation you dont reward s**t behaviour ( not in mine anyway)

Cameron we knew that he was going but we wanted to convince him to stay and we had him under contract so we could exercise that right.

That's where it gets interesting. The club knows Lever is probably going to leave, maybe Cameron too but they're working on it. Maybe McGovern knows / feels pretty sure that Lever, at least, is going to go. But the club can't offer McGovern Lever's or Cameron's money, because they can't be 100% sure it's going to be there.

Interesting thing is, both McGovern and Cameron are managed by Colin Young and both are gone for more money and both left while under contract. Cameron with more class while McGovern departed like a spoilt brat.

Not to mention that Young would have known about Cameron's intentions at the same time he was negotiating Gov's contract. I dunno, maybe in that situation you'd advise your client to hold fire because the club might find it easier to meet your demands once that's sorted … ?

But really all that is moot if you believe that the club's offer to McGovern was what they were prepared to pay him, independently of any salary cap issues.

Does anyone know which players in this years draft are managed by Colin Young. Do we have any players managed by Young that have stayed long term? It might not be a bad thing to put some weighting into which managers these draftees are with :)

What, only a few weeks after signing a new contract?

Bullshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit
It's certainly weird but is it that far fetched given what we know though? When ******** McClure broke the story he said:

“Mitch McGovern signed a three-year contract extension in late August of last year, it was only a matter of weeks later that he tried very, very late in the piece to get out of Adelaide and go home to Western Australia or indeed even Victoria."

We scoffed at the time but we now know he was right about him seeking a trade to Victoria at years end.

Whatever the case, the rumour was around for a while, so gov pulled his 180 in a very short space of time. I'd say six months at most, so why not a few weeks?

It's certainly weird but is it that far fetched given what we know though? When ******** McClure broke the story he said:

“Mitch McGovern signed a three-year contract extension in late August of last year, it was only a matter of weeks later that he tried very, very late in the piece to get out of Adelaide and go home to Western Australia or indeed even Victoria."

We scoffed at the time but we now know he was right about him seeking a trade to Victoria at years end.

Whatever the case, the rumour was around for a while, so gov pulled his 180 in a very short space of time. I'd say six months at most, so why not a few weeks?
Pretty sure there were some rumors even at last year’s trade period that McGovern wanted out despite just signing a new contract a month prior.

Bullshit

Pick up a signing bonus (seeing I'm assuming all AFL contracts would have something like that in place as it's decently common in other sports) then go for another pay-rise on top of that a month or so later. Dick move, but I could picture someone eventually doing that.

Pick up a signing bonus (seeing I'm assuming all AFL contracts would have something like that in place as it's decently common in other sports) then go for another pay-rise on top of that a month or so later. Dick move, but I could picture someone eventually doing that.

Nah. I tell you why I don’t buy it

Yes, I could believe someone had buyers remorse, and a big contract could sway them. Remote but it’s possible

My difficulty is that I struggle to believe that Carlton didn’t pitch him before he signed. And if it was that, why he wouldn’t let Freo pitch him this time.

It’s not money. He could have gotten more money last time: and he could have gotten more money this time

Something happened. I don’t know what, but it’s is too unbelievable that it’s too do with size and timing of contracts

Yes, I could believe someone had buyers remorse, and a big contract could sway them. Remote but it’s possible

My difficulty is that I struggle to believe that Carlton didn’t pitch him before he signed. And if it was that, why he wouldn’t let Freo pitch him this time.

It’s not money. He could have gotten more money last time: and he could have gotten more money this time

Something happened. I don’t know what, but it’s is too unbelievable that it’s too do with size and timing of contracts

If he didn't like Pyke it's extremely credible to suggest perhaps they had a very sour exit meeting in 2017. Its no secret both of them didn't get along. Carlton also wanted McGovern back in 2016 in the initial trade bid for Gibbs. So its pretty realistic Carlton have been in constant contact with his manager since. It's highly unlikely a s**t club like Carlton can get someone like McGovern across the line without years of work. It was odd when he requested a trade to Carlton considering his excuses to get out of the Crows.

If he didn't like Pyke it's extremely credible to suggest perhaps they had a very sour exit meeting in 2017. Its no secret both of them didn't get along. Carlton also wanted McGovern back in 2016 in the initial trade bid for Gibbs. So its pretty realistic Carlton have been in constant contact with his manager since. It's highly unlikely a s**t club like Carlton can get someone like McGovern across the line without years of work. It was odd when he requested a trade to Carlton considering his excuses to get out of the Crows.

The most important thing that occurred between his signing and the trade period where they spoke to other clubs was us playing in a GF. A game that he didn't play in. I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to work out what changed his mindset.

That's where it gets interesting. The club knows Lever is probably going to leave, maybe Cameron too but they're working on it. Maybe McGovern knows / feels pretty sure that Lever, at least, is going to go. But the club can't offer McGovern Lever's or Cameron's money, because they can't be 100% sure it's going to be there.

Not to mention that Young would have known about Cameron's intentions at the same time he was negotiating Gov's contract. I dunno, maybe in that situation you'd advise your client to hold fire because the club might find it easier to meet your demands once that's sorted … ?

But really all that is moot if you believe that the club's offer to McGovern was what they were prepared to pay him, independently of any salary cap issues.
There is a much more likelihood that Carlton was seeking McGov than McGov seeking Carlton. The context in the news reporting doesn’t add up even if McGov was unhappy with his contractual obligations with the Crows.
Simply, if you’re unhappy at your club (bad environment, salary underpaid), why would you directly seek the bottom of the ladder club, and not let other clubs know to bid on you?

If he was seeking more happiness, then:
- why not the home factor?
- why not the lure of a possible premiership in the next 3 years?
- why not choose WCE for the big win: home factor, a possible premiership in next 3 years AND playing with his brother?!

Can’t see it other than the cash lure. Carlton, whilst being a very crappy team in recent years, their salary-luring capacity would be huge!

Here is what I think happened

Mitch signs with us

Mitch has end of year exit interview

Mitch leaves interview pissed because Pyke tells him to "get rid of those sideburns"

Carlton come a knocking with their "all the sideburns you want" policy

We drafted Fog.

Fog has more raw talent (as well as being given number 32 and a fan favourite) and by the end of 2019 would be pushing Gov out of the best 22. Only room for one of these two behind Tex and Jenkins. This affects his next contract.

When Gov signed Cameron had made no indication of leaving and we were never in the Fog ballpark given our ladder position and subsequent draft pick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here is what I think happened

Mitch signs with us

Mitch has end of year exit interview

Mitch leaves interview pissed because Pyke tells him to "get rid of those sideburns"

Carlton come a knocking with their "all the sideburns you want" policy

Teague leaving and going to Carlton was bigger than any other factor IMO. If he knew Teague was leaving, I doubt he would have signed a new contract.

The most important thing that occurred between his signing and the trade period where they spoke to other clubs was us playing in a GF. A game that he didn't play in. I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to work out what changed his mindset.
I remember hearing how pissed off he was when he was ruled out of the GF by Pyke after doing an intense fitness test. He thought he was right to go.

Back