Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fog would have no incentive to sign now for low 4. If he started the year off like he finished he’d have his suitors offering a lot more, dare say he would now already.

Our contract would have to been high enough for Fog to take himself off the market.

Beat me to it. Wouldn't have resigned early if it was only 4. Would've backed himself in for a big year instead, given how he finished off 2022.

Here’s some nice season highlights for the Fogster:

How much is he getting paid for the new contract?

Who gives. Worth every penny!

Beat me to it. Wouldn't have resigned early if it was only 4. Would've backed himself in for a big year instead, given how he finished off 2022.
Potentially by doing it early it meant we could rewrite his pay for this year too so maybe spread out it’s a bit lower per year but he gets a bit more up front than he would have by waiting and also if you consider it as original 2023 + 2 compared to 3yrs then the $$ woukd look quite different

Wonder what his Coleman odds are next season. If he puts a full season like he finished the last he could give it a real shake (if our midfield can get him the ball...)

Two extra years added to current contract ending in 2023. So a 2 year contract
The new contract supersedes the old contract. The Crows and Fog are free to allocate payments within the three years as they see fit.

So far as I'm aware, there are no afl rules stopping this approach, other than for the initial contract of a draftee.

Fog would have no incentive to sign now for low 4. If he started the year off like he finished he’d have his suitors offering a lot more, dare say he would now already.

Our contract would have to been high enough for Fog to take himself off the market.

To be fair, I said low 4 at the very most. Could be in the 3’s

To be fair, I said low 4 at the very most. Could be in the 3’s

Can you expand on your reasoning a bit?

I def don't think its in the upper end of the ranges people have posted, but key forward is a premium position and half a season exposed performance at the elite range from a young player would normally develop a market value.

I have no issues paying him something starting with a 7 we need to pay somebody considering the state of the list, particularly with the retirement of Tex coming potentially as soon as the end of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you expand on your reasoning a bit?

I def don't think its in the upper end of the ranges people have posted, but key forward is a premium position and half a season exposed performance at the elite range from a young player would normally develop a market value.

Because

1) players tend to be paid a lot less then people assume.

2) he’s coming off a contract where he’s unlikely to have been paid much more than 170K.

3) for a half season breakout, I can’t see we’ve gone nuts. I’d expect there’s still an element of prove it baked in

we’ve got him under contract for 1 more year at peanuts. Then 2 more new ones. if we were to rip up the year under his old contract - 2023, and replace it with a smooth annualisation across 3 years at a new rate, then that number would not be so high

Plus we need somewhere to go contract wise if he carries on building, which I think will be in our thinking too

Because

1) players tend to be paid a lot less then people assume.

2) he’s coming off a contract where he’s unlikely to have been paid much more than 170K.

3) for a half season breakout, I can’t see we’ve gone nuts. I’d expect there’s still an element of prove it baked in

we’ve got him under contract for 1 more year at peanuts. Then 2 more new ones. if we were to rip up the year under his old contract - 2023, and replace it with a smooth annualisation across 3 years at a new rate, then that number would not be so high

Plus we need somewhere to go contract wise if he carries on building, which I think will be in our thinking too
$170k? That’s not far off a draftees original contact isn’t it? When he resigned he was showing promise, no chance he’s on that low an amount.

What’s in it for Fogarty to re-sign now? If he starts the year like he finished off he’d have suitors galore.

Depends, can you forecast injury?
If he cops an injury early that takes out the season then maybe, but if he starts like he did, then gets injured, that’s not going to scare clubs off.

I just can’t see him being in a hurry to sign on a low contract because he’s scared of injury especially given he’s not been suspect to injury so far.

Also think you’re way short on your $170k estimate. That’s not far off a rookie contract. He started well for a young key forward.

If he cops an injury early that takes out the season then maybe, but if he starts like he did, then gets injured, that’s not going to scare clubs off.

I just can’t see him being in a hurry to sign on a low contract because he’s scared of injury especially given he’s not been suspect to injury so far.

Also think you’re way short on your $170k estimate. That’s not far off a rookie contract. He started well for a young key forward.

2 things:

1. IF is doing a lot of lifting there. That’s the point

2. It’s not a low contract.

2 things:

1. IF is doing a lot of lifting there. That’s the point

2. It’s not a low contract.
You’re basically saying players sign for unders thinking they might get injured a year out when there is no indication of that happening across the league.

It is when you’re a promising key forward, you’ve got a year to run on your contract and if he showed similar form clubs would come running. Plus there’s more money on its way with new TV rights deal.

You’re basically saying players sign for unders thinking they might get injured a year out when there is no indication of that happening across the league.

I’m saying risk is a factor in every contract ever signed. I’m also saying a contract isn’t unders just based on inflated guesswork

It is when you’re a promising key forward, you’ve got a year to run on your contract and if he showed similar form clubs would come running. Plus there’s more money on its way with new TV rights deal.

He’s got to back it up now, and this contract is designed to take him to free agency where he’ll see real money if all goes well.

Back