Darren Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good article in full but Djokovic's comment is telling. Our AFLW team are still taping into Darren even if our main footy department is to shy to do so.

Cahill may be modest in detailing his involvement in coaching Sinner, but his influence cannot be underestimated, nor has it gone unnoticed.

After his loss to Sinner, Djokovic praised Cahill and noted it is "very helpful" for his younger rival to have the renowned coach in his corner, given his experience in guiding players to win major titles.

Koch knows better apparently 😆

This is a good article in full but Djokovic's comment is telling. Our AFLW team are still taping into Darren even if our main footy department is to shy to do so.

Cahill may be modest in detailing his involvement in coaching Sinner, but his influence cannot be underestimated, nor has it gone unnoticed.

After his loss to Sinner, Djokovic praised Cahill and noted it is "very helpful" for his younger rival to have the renowned coach in his corner, given his experience in guiding players to win major titles.

Edit The joker's direct quote

I think his serve improved a lot. He's hitting his corners very well, and I think he up his speed, as well. Serving bigger now and more precise. Movement overall and mental part. You know, he was always very calm, very composed in the court, but I think he struggled maybe to win the big matches, you know, in the big moments. But now it's coming together for him. Of course Darren Cahill, who is very experienced coach and someone that has worked with former No. 1s in the world, obviously having him in his corner is very helpful, you know, from the mental side of things, of course, along with everything else. Yeah, he's got a great team, he's on a very good path.

Port Adelaide gets a good run in the article. Maybe Kim Williams edited :D

Outside of tennis, however, is where Cahill learned a lot about coaching as the son of an Australian rules great.

His father John Cahill is an Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee, having won 10 SANFL premierships with Port Adelaide as a coach and multiple flags as a player.

He was also Port Adelaide's foundation coach when the club joined the AFL in 1997.

Cahill junior has enjoyed a lifelong friendship with Port Adelaide's 2004 AFL premiership coach Mark Williams, whose father Fos was a legendary figure in South Australian football as both a player and coach.

Mark Williams was among the crowd inside Rod Laver Arena for Sinner's match against Djokovic, with the Port Adelaide connection having always run strong for Cahill.

"Ninety-five per cent of my coaching throughout my entire career was learned through the Port Adelaide Football Club," Cahill said.

"It's just what I was brought up with, with my dad coaching there for so many years and being successful there, and being around a club and people that experience success.

"I guess there are some habits and some cultures, and some ways of coaching that never leave you."

Outside of tennis, however, is where Cahill learned a lot about coaching as the son of an Australian rules great.

His father John Cahill is an Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee, having won 10 SANFL premierships with Port Adelaide as a coach and multiple flags as a player.

He was also Port Adelaide's foundation coach when the club joined the AFL in 1997.

Cahill junior has enjoyed a lifelong friendship with Port Adelaide's 2004 AFL premiership coach Mark Williams, whose father Fos was a legendary figure in South Australian football as both a player and coach.

Mark Williams was among the crowd inside Rod Laver Arena for Sinner's match against Djokovic, with the Port Adelaide connection having always run strong for Cahill.

"Ninety-five per cent of my coaching throughout my entire career was learned through the Port Adelaide Football Club," Cahill said.

"It's just what I was brought up with, with my dad coaching there for so many years and being successful there, and being around a club and people that experience success.

"I guess there are some habits and some cultures, and some ways of coaching that never leave you."

Reading that, you can certainly see why he wasn't a success on the club's board.

Winning is overrated.

A seed is now being sowed by the media. It’s happening

What a ******* waste that Hinkley refused to tap into his knowledge when he was on the board. Along with all the other reasons that should have been a sackable offence. Makes you want to spew up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get this man in our coaches box.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ken never even invited him in when he was a Board member.

Ken never even invited him in when he was a Board member.

The board probably wasn’t his calling at the club, but I’m trying to think of a reason why he couldn’t be a good AFL coach.

Tennis is obviously his specialty but would definitely know a bit about footy, passionate port man and excellent tennis coach on the world stage. And son of the best coach this club has ever had, and arguably the best Australian rules football coach in the entire history of the game.

The board probably wasn’t his calling at the club, but I’m trying to think of a reason why he couldn’t be a good AFL coach.

Tennis is obviously his specialty but would definitely know a bit about footy, passionate port man and excellent tennis coach on the world stage. And son of the best coach this club has ever had, and arguably the best Australian rules football coach in the entire history of the game.

There are technical traits which need to be identified and corrected for each specific sport, but outside of that, coaching is largely built on universal principles. So yeah he probably would have been a great footy coach as well.

I disagree that being on the Board wasn't a good spot for him. He was there to provide perspective from someone who has succeeded in sport at the elite level. He should have been the conduit between the footy department and the Board. Instead, he was marginalised. Never invited by Ken to work with the coaches because Ken was threatened by him.

There are technical traits which need to be identified and corrected for each specific sport, but outside of that, coaching is largely built on universal principles. So yeah he probably would have been a great footy coach as well.

I disagree that being on the Board wasn't a good spot for him. He was there to provide perspective from someone who has succeeded in sport at the elite level. He should have been the conduit between the footy department and the Board. Instead, he was marginalised. Never invited by Ken to work with the coaches because Ken was threatened by him.

The guy is a winner. What part of the footy season do we have trouble with? - the bit that matters - would make sense if you had a winner in sport on the board to invite them in......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back