The Sacking of John Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

If Tredders had the exact same career — cut down in his prime and all — at Collingwood or Carlton, there’d be a statue or a stand naming coming.

His non-football position of the past couple of years notwithstanding, the lack of anything actually being named after him here is baffling (one of his teammates and contemporaries, Wanganeen, has a junior medal and part of a stand at AO, etc).

There should at least be a book or a doco ffs. The club has seemingly kept him at arm's length, likely because he calls it out when we're weak and unaccountable. He's comfortably our AFL number 1 and in our all-time team, and most of us were privileged enough to watch him play. Why does the club seem to have forgotten about him?

If Adelaide Oval was being unveiled today you'd hope he'd have gotten something named after him. He might have been slightly too recently retired at the time. An award seems obvious, and we don't seem to award a leading goalkicker at all on B&F night. He's one of 3 players who would be fitting for that medal name

There should at least be a book or a doco ffs. The club has seemingly kept him at arm's length, likely because he calls it out when we're weak and unaccountable. He's comfortably our AFL number 1 and in our all-time team, and most of us were privileged enough to watch him play. Why does the club seem to have forgotten about him?

If Adelaide Oval was being unveiled today you'd hope he'd have gotten something named after him. He might have been slightly too recently retired at the time. An award seems obvious, and we don't seem to award a leading goalkicker at all on B&F night. He's one of 3 players who would be fitting for that medal name

The Mahoney-Motlop leading goalkicker award has a nice ring to it

My memory is that it was a news article where Matthews gave his footy tipping advice for the 1997 season, one of which was do not tip Port as they wont win a game (he may have also reiterated this on TV). I remember he was commentating our third game where we pumped Geelong at home (Bowen Lockwood kicked 4 from memory and was the rising star that week…sigh) and Lethal pretty quickly changed his tune after that.

Even as a young lad it was evident Port had a fairly basic gameplan in 97/98. Play Primus behind the ball which left our forward line one down. This would work more often than not at home, but we were often picked apart away. Also after beating Essendon away in 97 Pooley’s back gave out and he was the master of halving or winning 2 or 3 on 1 contests across CHF. Without him Jack’s plan fell to pieces so it was pretty evident we needed a fresher approach in the box. That’s not to say Jack didn’t do an exceptional job and in 97 had Port challenging for finals when almost everyone thought we’d be wooden spooners.
Yep, that was it, it was part of his advice on how to tip that year.

Thanks for the memory jogger.

There should at least be a book or a doco ffs.

I remember around the time he retired I reached out to the great man, and he said he wasn’t interested in releasing a book.

Which is unfortunate because I would’ve bought enough to build a fort out of.

Jack did mention quite recently that 8 or 9 years or so might be the shelf life for a coach, especially if you hadn't had success, and by that time he found that he was probably starting to outstay his welcome with the board - that's about how long his coaching stints with PAFC were, albeit supremely successful.
Funny thing, that concept.

There's a very good local coach in Broken Hill that believes 3 years in the max someone should coach for. He had 4 different stints, winnings flags in all bar one (which included the two seasons cancelled by corona), so yes, after 3 years even if he was coming off back to back flags, he would take a year or two away then see if the club still wanted him back after that.

That's a tinpot local footy league.

Obviously not everyone will agree with that approach, but * me dead. How can an amateur posses this sort of insight and opinion about his role, while everyone at Port including Hinkley just believes Hinkley is as fresh as ever?

The writing was on the wall with Choco in 2004 - grand final minimum, or your job is gone. He should have played the 'remember how bad we were in 2000!' card and got a gig for life like Ken. Instead, he just went out and coached the team to a premiership. Then got sacked 5 years later. What a dunce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back