Roast Sack Koch - Chairman of The Redeem Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Has trouble running a small business...

'Worst year that we've ever had': David Koch on family business struggles​

TV legend and self-confessed "finance nerd" David Koch has described how he had to step in personally to save his family business from going to the wall.

Koch said he and his wife Libby had to access their superannuation fund late last year or there was every possibility their business would close.

Speaking on the podcast Neil Mitchell Asks Why, Koch said he would have been financially better off over his life to concentrate on his media work and not run the small business.

"I'm like every small business owner," he said.

"2023 for me and my family business was the worst year that we've ever had.

"At the end of October, I had to put a lot of money into the business to keep it going.

"The end of 2023, I was thinking, 'God, we can't go for another year like this.'

"I was really concerned how we would get through the summer.

"Thankfully we had the best December and January we've had in the 20 years of the business, and it saved the business.

"It is really sobering. I often think to myself, 'Why do I invest in these small businesses? I should have just invested in property.'

"But I love small business. I love being involved in it. It's one of the great joys of my life."

When asked if he came close to going to the wall, Koch replied: "Yeah, absolutely."

"I had to put money into it. You can withdraw within a limit at my age out of the superfund, which I put in it.

"It kept the team together and kept us going."

FROM

This explains so much about, and confirms, the impediment that PAFC have been faced with during Koch’s tenure.

Koch has admitted here that he’s not up to the task of running the Port Adelaide Football Club.

PAFC is not a small business, is no place for a small-business minded chairman who admits to loving a business but only if it’s small … who is afraid to focus on and take the hard and ‘nasty’ decisions let alone enact them.

It exposes the weakness at the very top that is the root cause of Hinkley and his family still being with us, tells us why Koch has behaved in such an unprofessional non-football-club fashion without realising it.

Rise up Big Bob. You’re needed. There’s a chair in the corner of the board room waiting for you - the chair with your name on it.

Has trouble running a small business...

'Worst year that we've ever had': David Koch on family business struggles​

TV legend and self-confessed "finance nerd" David Koch has described how he had to step in personally to save his family business from going to the wall.

Koch said he and his wife Libby had to access their superannuation fund late last year or there was every possibility their business would close.

Speaking on the podcast Neil Mitchell Asks Why, Koch said he would have been financially better off over his life to concentrate on his media work and not run the small business.

"I'm like every small business owner," he said.

"2023 for me and my family business was the worst year that we've ever had.

"At the end of October, I had to put a lot of money into the business to keep it going.

"The end of 2023, I was thinking, 'God, we can't go for another year like this.'

"I was really concerned how we would get through the summer.

"Thankfully we had the best December and January we've had in the 20 years of the business, and it saved the business.

"It is really sobering. I often think to myself, 'Why do I invest in these small businesses? I should have just invested in property.'

"But I love small business. I love being involved in it. It's one of the great joys of my life."

When asked if he came close to going to the wall, Koch replied: "Yeah, absolutely."

"I had to put money into it. You can withdraw within a limit at my age out of the superfund, which I put in it.

"It kept the team together and kept us going."

FROM
He has a long way to go to be as good as McGuire Media.

Can he also dip into his super to help with the problem still sitting in the senior coach’s chair at Alberton?

He has a long way to go to be as good as McGuire Media.

Can he also dip into his super to help with the problem still sitting in the senior coach’s chair at Alberton?
Koch doesn’t recognise it as a problem.

He’s incapable of recognising it as a problem.

Don't mind me, I'll just be here smug in my criticism of David having a small business mindset. The problem is he has infected Port with that mindset.

Edit: I have just seen Lockhart Road got in before me with this point.

How bad is kockie with money that the has to dip into his super rather than draw on what should be a substantial savings fund given his and his wife's careers..

This is "financial genius business guru" kockie btw

He's just trying to sound like the everyman. He'd be loaded.

The headline in that Neil Mitchell podcast. Says it all really.

Why media is a 'bulls***ing job': With David Koch

they build statue's for greats - this guy deserves a gutter. legends get stands named after them - this guy should get the Koch urinal. he's the September 11 of Club Chairman's. what he's done will be spoken about for a century.

The more logical approach would have been for him to step down from all extraneous roles and focus solely on his business.

Seriously though, this is a guy who's earned millions a year for decades. This article is either a complete beat up or an indictment on his financial management skills.

they build statue's for greats - this guy deserves a gutter. legends get stands named after them - this guy should get the Koch urinal. he's the September 11 of Club Chairman's. what he's done will be spoken about for a century.
Couple of stickers int he Adelaide Oval men's during Gather Round should do it. Let Reddit do the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How bad is kockie with money that the has to dip into his super rather than draw on what should be a substantial savings fund given his and his wife's careers..

This is "financial genius business guru" kockie btw
If he declares bankruptcy he won't be able to hold a position as a company director under the Corporations Act and will have to resign from the Board. Time to deathride Pinstripe Media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back