Opinion Sack Hinkley 9 - I Am Become Donuts, Destroyer Of Ports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I have a really simplified version of this...

Every year you have to sell a fanbase on one of three things:

Success - You're competing for the flag. Brisbane. Collingwood. Melbourne. GWS.
Hope - You're on a recognisable path and there's a clear end goal. Carlton. St Kilda. Sydney. Adelaide. Hawthorn. Fremantle (who are starting to get antsy 4 years in).
Change - You're making gutsy decisions to get on a path. Essendon (players and captain change). Norf. Gold Coast. Richmond.

So you take those clubs away and who are you left with:
Geelong, Western Bulldogs, West Coast & Port Adelaide.

What do those four clubs have in common?

They've all won flags in the last 7 years (except Port). They all have current coaches that have a proven record of success that has taken them to multiple grand finals (except Port). Their coaches are under a lot of pressure and might lose their jobs at the end of next year (except Port, and maybe Geelong but even then I think Chris Scott would have the integrity to walk if he didn't see himself as being the guy any more).

The longest path without success any non-Port club is on is 4 years (Adelaide with Nicks and Fremantle with Longmuir).

Port is up to 11 years.

They're asking us to accept something that no fanbase in the history of the AFL has ever accepted or even been asked to accept. Not even close.
Awesome.

Maybe just maybe it illustrates why Bucks never saw ultimate success in the AFL, certainly McRae didn't approach chasing a flag as an almost unattainable mission.

We know it's hard, but that's a terrible mindset you are on the back foot subconsciously from the get-go.

Security should have sorted Bucks and Hinkley out last night.

9cRgKuFzIC8DZkV_RlhE6DhXAag=.gif

"The opposition feel it, they don't like playing at Port Adelaide" - Ken Hinkley, 2023

View attachment 1827013

View attachment 1827014

View attachment 1827016

View attachment 1827020

Universal reminder that the past eight premiers came here during that year and won, and often cite the experience as providing the inner-belief and confidence that they could go all the way:

91184332-8818-4BC4-98F8-B58E55ED47A7.jpeg

Serious question — is the club and its key figures even aware of metrics and factoids like this?

It’s frightening how often they say things that are instantly refutable.

He's the mid tier government employee who's got a few years before retirement but is entirely checked out and just wants to top up the super balance, while making everything harder for everyone else.

If he was a greyhound, well...
I don't think he's checked out, I think he believes he's doing enough to keep the job as long as he wants. It isn't that he has stopped trying, it's that he's stopped trying to be better. And any criticism to his performance isn't met with modest reflection, but outrage and indignation.

Also, he's assembled a coterie of junior staffers who think he's the ducks guts for reasons unknown.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

He's
I don't think he's checked out, I think he believes he's doing enough to keep the job as long as he wants. It isn't that he has stopped trying, it's that he's stopped trying to be better. And any criticism to his performance isn't met with modest reflection, but outrage and indignation.

Also, he's assembled a coterie of junior staffers who think he's the ducks guts for reasons unknown.

He's a creep, a creepy old man. P*SS off with the father figure mate. It's just weird and wrong on so many levels.

its pretty much a Cult down at Alberton, thats how they act anyway. It doesnt matter what the result is or how many times they fail the narrative is always Ken is some sort of messiah that is let down by others that are around him and any critisicm of Ken is dealt with harshly and quickly....I think that pretty much sums up the definition of a cult

its pretty much a Cult down at Alberton, thats how they act anyway. It doesnt matter what the result is or how many times they fail the narrative is always Ken is some sort of messiah that is let down by others that are around him and any critisicm of Ken is dealt with harshly and quickly....I think that pretty much sums up the definition of a cult
Which is precisely why the criticism needs to be maintained, and in fact escalated. The vile administration at Alberton has got off pretty lightly so far - it's time for true Port fans to ramp up the pressure on these clowns, and make life as unpleasant for them as possible: which is only fair, given the fact that, thanks entirely to them, life as a Port fan has been bloody unpleasant in recent years.

I've wanted Hinkley gone since round 2 2016 when we got smashed against the Crows. Would like to know the game when everyone had enough of him.
very close, it was about round 7-8 of 2016 where he was given a pass for 2015 but when i saw no answer for anything coming from him i knew he was cooked, i think his slogan for 2016 was we wernt playing "fast enough football" which is why we were getting beaten, it was a beginning of the workery hardery theory. The real reason was we were a team of terrible kickers that constantly turn the ball over, we got away with that in 2014 by being a surperior running team thanks to darren burgess not ken hinkley, as soon as the rest of the comp caught-up fitness wise in 2015 we were exposed as a bunch of hack kickers because we didnt have the space available to us when we had superior running. In short Darren burgess had a lot more to do with the success of 2013-2014 than what Ken Hinkley did and he's been living off that falsehood for the past 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back