Meet Up Ports vs Sydney (sack Hinkley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something like the 'Chocco for Baghdad' sign? We have been here before.

Can I pose a question to the moderators? Is this supposed to be a preview of the upcoming Port V Sydney game or another sack Hinkley thread ?
I defy you to find a thread on this board that doesn’t contain 'sack hinkley' regardless of the initial subject.

And yet Hayes won’t be playing because as per our club’s twitter feed:

Port Adelaide FC

@PAFC
·
1h

BM: I thought the Finlayson and Dixon combination probably gave us the best look we’ve had in quite some time. We were looking for a bit more bite in some areas other than just hit outs, and I thought Jeremy brought that in spades #pafclive

Piss off Montgomery too.

He kind of has a point, hayes wasn’t really offering anything besides hit outs. But that’s also the main purpose of the ruckman.

If we wanted a ruck that offered more bite in areas other than hit outs we probably shouldn’t have traded ladhams.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be interested to hear the coaching team's take on our 5-2 win/loss record with Hayes in the team compared to 0/5 without him

'Yeah nah, youse got to understand we was just playing the s**t teams then, and a bit of luck when st kilda couldn't hit the side of a barn in Cairns and the bullies having to play us with no defenders taller than 5 foot 7...'

He kind of has a point, hayes wasn’t really offering anything besides hit outs. But that’s also the main purpose of the ruckman.

If we wanted a ruck that offered more bite in areas other than hit outs we probably shouldn’t have traded ladhams.

Lycett doesn’t take enough marks around the ground either for my liking.

And I had to laugh at Montgomery suggesting we had all 18 players playing offence and defence. WTF was Motlop contributing to that?

Or go into the year with one ruck they’d be happy to play, ‘he shouldn’t get injured’….

What planning!

Lycett doesn’t take enough marks around the ground either for my liking.

And I had to laugh at Montgomery suggesting we had all 18 players playing offence and defence. WTF was Motlop contributing to that?

Lycett gets a lot of bad reviews on here but I was one of very few that thought he wasn’t too bad. He is far from perfect but he has a lot of competitive spirit. His Tap work isn’t great but he makes up for that in his follow up work and overall appetite for the contest.

In all honesty he plays the old style port Adelaide way, so I’ve always found it odd why so many on here rubbish him. Just because he isn’t blessed with as much talent of some of the other ruckman in the comp. But I’ve always had soft spots for those players that extract the best out of their abilities.

Kicked a couple crucial goals in his time too, the winner against Sydney last year, a nice long goal in the prelim against Richmond.

I feel like hayes has much more to give but we aren’t seeing it yet, he isn’t that young anymore either. He needs to start taking games by the scruff of the neck because he has way more talent than lycett but right now if he wasn’t injured I’d be picking lycett ahead if we are selecting to win games now and not for the future.

Lycett gets a lot of bad reviews on here but I was one of very few that thought he wasn’t too bad. He is far from perfect but he has a lot of competitive spirit. His Tap work isn’t great but he makes up for that in his follow up work and overall appetite for the contest.

In all honesty he plays the old style port Adelaide way, so I’ve always found it odd why so many on here rubbish him. Just because he isn’t blessed with as much talent of some of the other ruckman in the comp. But I’ve always had soft spots for those players that extract the best out of their abilities.

Kicked a couple crucial goals in his time too, the winner against Sydney last year, a nice long goal in the prelim against Richmond.

I feel like hayes has much more to give but we aren’t seeing it yet, he isn’t that young anymore either. He needs to start taking games by the scruff of the neck because he has way more talent than lycett but right now if he wasn’t injured I’d be picking lycett ahead if we are selecting to win games now and not for the future.

Old style Port Adelaide players don't completely s**t the bed in big games like Lycett did in the 2020 prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn, is he really that bad?
I reckon he over rated the * out of Charlie Dixon over the years

I'd be interested to hear the coaching team's take on our 5-2 win/loss record with Hayes in the team compared to 0/5 without him

'Yeah nah, youse got to understand we was just playing the s**t teams then, and a bit of luck when st kilda couldn't hit the side of a barn in Cairns and the bullies having to play us with no defenders taller than 5 foot 7...'

Yep, they can either admit he's been good for us (in which case they're wrong about dropping him) or we just beat s**t teams (in which case you can't beat your chest about Kenny's MaGiCaL rEcOveRy from 0-5)

Note the starting time on the TV.

View attachment 1423536
For some reason SEVEN have almost a 3 hour delay on some Power and Crows games from the Adelaide Oval. Until this game I cannot recall it happening to us this year but a couple of the Crows games have been on delay. FOXTEL, and I assume Kayo are direct telecasts but not SEVEN. I also assume it has some thing to do with the telecast deal and the Saturday afternoon time slot?

Last edited:

Yes, Hayes' downfall has been his lack of impact around the ground. At the bounces and throw ins Sam's tap work has been OK but around the ground he only averages 8 disposals per game to Lycett's 14. In some SANFL games I have seen Sam get 20 disposals in the match and take some good marks but that has not happened at AFL level yet. It is interesting that Peter Ladhams, the guy they traded out, has averaged over 16 disposals in 9 games this year.

I think giving Brynn Teakle a run at AFL level and Sam Hayes a bit more time in the SANFL might be a good move. Like you I think Hayes has potential but if Teakle fires, Lycett recovers and Visentini continues to improve Sam might be the odd man out.

Don't sack Hinckley because he got our season back on track in a tough AFL comp.

Sack Hayes because he only won against losers.

Makes sense.

Amongst many attributes the great coaches have the ability to make players believe they are better than they are (John Cahill was a master at this, particularly in finals), make crucial moves that change games, eg Fos moving Geoff Motley from the centre to the half forward flank resulting in that player scoring 7 match winning goals in the 2nd half of a gf, or plucking players from virtual obscurity to perform a crucial role on the big day, eg Adrian Settre.

Kern has shown none of those attributes, his selections and match ups on any given day can unbalance the line up, and then he is either too late to do anything about it, or worse still does nothing but sit there with lips pursed and arms folded waiting for something to happen that more often than not doesn't, where the aforementioned would make moves to either gain an advantage or stop the oppo from getting one, and they would sometimes do that even before the ball was bounced to start the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back