Argo Hinkley and Argo Koch - piss off from my club you frauds.

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have already said sensational stuff by REH, made me proud to know him personally, although he still owes me that beer. lol ;)

One thing I did notice from the visuals of the broadcast was Tredders reaction to the `you should be president' bit, maybe he has now heard it too many times but he gave me the impression he doesn't want the role which is a shame because I reckon with the right people around him he would be perfect for it.

Sorry to intrude, but I had some thoughts to share, hope this makes sense.

I wanted to try to make sense of why Ken was signed in August, against the will of the fans and the common sense of a casual observer.

To take a page from history, Neville Chamberline, British PM, was much lauded for his domestic policies, but ignored and pandered
to Hitler, and let him get power and build an army. Enter Winston Churchill, the war time PM, who rallied the troops & lead the Allies to victory. When the soliders returned, they voted him out. He was not doing enough for them after the war.

Kochie took over when the club needed a strong hand financially and internally. He brought stability. But now he favours conservative decisions and can't make the big calls, the wartime calls. He's so afraid of dropping out of the 8 and the financial implications that it impacts his decision making and prefers a home and away coach to a finals coach. Right now, Port need a wartime leader to throw everything at it.

Get rid of Kochie. In 10 years time Port might need a Kochie back, to check the finances, make sure, the club is viable, but he's a domestic/ peacetime leader, not the man to take Port to victory. He doesn't have enough fight in him.

There's no shame in this, plenty of examples of good leaders who were not war time leaders, and vice versa.

Just my thoughts on this debate, pretty much what Tredders is saying, but not emotionally involved.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

REH's call has me curious to hunt down a copy of Football Limited.
Best footy book I have read. It explains the hows and whys and the personalities behind the suburban VFL turning into a national comp. I had it in my hand as I spoke about it last night and should have said so and that I was quoting Justin Madden from the back cover of the book. To this day, a few times a year I flick thru it for reference purposes.

I wrote to the author, journo and ex editor of a couple of Murdoch papers, Garry Linnell in 2010, and said he had to do a second version or add chapters to the original one, covering the next 15 years up to 2010. He said he had done his bit, and it was up to another journo to do the follow up years.

Closest we have come to covering the post 1995 period is Michael Warner's 2021 book The Boys' Club. There is a lot of good stuff in the book, but because it looks at scandals in the AFL a lot, it doesn't explain some of the hows and whys over the last 28 years like Linnell's book did.

s-l1600.png

As others have already said sensational stuff by REH, made me proud to know him personally, although he still owes me that beer. lol ;)

One thing I did notice from the visuals of the broadcast was Tredders reaction to the `you should be president' bit, maybe he has now heard it too many times but he gave me the impression he doesn't want the role which is a shame because I reckon with the right people around him he would be perfect for it.
I found it a bit weird because didn't he run for the board last year.

It didn't quite make kosher.

That's a very good point - why don't we have people like RussellEbertHandball producing podcasts?
Theres an idea. Not sure its REHs thing, but Macca19 bringing back the bigfooty podcast for a one-off ep. Season retrospective. Go through everything from coaching stats to greyhound syndicates in a way thats easy to understand.

Special guest WGT. Or atleast he'd help get it out to the wider supporter base. Might be the best way BF can contribute to farking these kents off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Stevie Wonder can see that if Hinkley hadn't been extended prematurely that he would have been relieved of his duties this morning after last night's game.

You are not thinking like the board. That’s precisely why we extended it before Finals.

They deliberately protected Hinkley from an eventual Finals failure. Since now there’s nothing that can be done, the board is sure that acted right.

Our results with Hinkley are good enough for the Board. It has always been. Thus, the board doesn’t want him to move on.

There’s no need for accountability, because our season was a heck of a success on their eyes. The board couldn’t be less Port Adelaide than it actually is.

Respectfully I disagree. I know the licence is with the AFL, but they didn't step in when GWS and Gold Coast went through all their troubles with coaches and football programs, and those two clubs are the babies of the AFL boardroom. They haven't stepped in for North. Historically the only club they stepped in for at the level you want, was Melbourne in 2013, appointing Peter Jackson as interim CEO and bankrolling Roos as the coach. Pulling memebership money only weakens the football club departments further, unless we want Skype coaches again.

You must pull the money out while you still care.

The money is still there for the club, if they are willing to do what is necessary to take it.

If this keeps rolling on, Port will eventually die. Not the Power, they can still play; but Port and what it represents.

People are in DENIAL. The club is DYING. It’s really SICK. It’s probably the worst moment in Port’s history.

2011 is nothing compared to now. In 2011, the issues were obvious. They were right at the surface.

Now, we are rotting from much deeper. It’s way easier to pretend it’s nothing.

When you finally leave, it can be to late…

Last edited:
he gave me the impression he doesn't want the role

I had two impressions: one, just like yours; the other was a bit different.

I thought he showed resignation. “I won’t escape from it, will I?

Someone needs to step up, and he knows it.

Sorry to intrude, but I had some thoughts to share, hope this makes sense.

I wanted to try to make sense of why Ken was signed in August, against the will of the fans and the common sense of a casual observer.

To take a page from history, Neville Chamberline, British PM, was much lauded for his domestic policies, but ignored and pandered
to Hitler, and let him get power and build an army. Enter Winston Churchill, the war time PM, who rallied the troops & lead the Allies to victory. When the soliders returned, they voted him out. He was not doing enough for them after the war.

Kochie took over when the club needed a strong hand financially and internally. He brought stability. But now he favours conservative decisions and can't make the big calls, the wartime calls. He's so afraid of dropping out of the 8 and the financial implications that it impacts his decision making and prefers a home and away coach to a finals coach. Right now, Port need a wartime leader to throw everything at it.

Get rid of Kochie. In 10 years time Port might need a Kochie back, to check the finances, make sure, the club is viable, but he's a domestic/ peacetime leader, not the man to take Port to victory. He doesn't have enough fight in him.

There's no shame in this, plenty of examples of good leaders who were not war time leaders, and vice versa.

Just my thoughts on this debate, pretty much what Tredders is saying, but not emotionally involved.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
your deluded mate, Kochie is no financial genius, what makes you think he is? because he can do a deal with the AFL to work out the finances? Big deal, the AFL is a socalist organisation, its has to be to survive or you would see the same 3 or 4 clubs win every year. The afl finace for 3 or 4 clubs failing every year. Remember this is the same organisation that has thrown 100's of millions of dollars into GC and GWS and we still here thinking Kochie has down a good job when we get thrown the scraps our way.

Its ultimate gaslighting, "be happy with the scraps your given and praise the scrap giver"

Its pretty simple. Premierships are ******* hard to win. You need to make the most of it when you get the chance because as we've seen and as we saw with Craigs Crows and Ross Lyons teams, there's no guarantee you'll get one.

So it's especially important that all the ducks are in a row. When you have a coach who has proven he is incapable of making a grand final then you need to make the call and move them on. Good clubs do that. Ruthless clubs do that.

We are not a good or ruthless club.

After we all sat at Alberton listening to the rhetoric from the club at the start of 2018 about how we are "ALL IN FOR A FLAG GUYZ" and we didn't even make the ******* finals, there should have been ZERO reason for Hinkley to keep his ******* job after that. None. Zero. How can you be all in for a flag, not make finals and then not make any ******* changes to the club? He's going to be at the club seven years after what should have been the absolute end of his coaching career.

We are a laughing stock with good reason.
And yet Koch has the gall to declare that Hinkley is the club's most successful AFL coach, which clearly betrays the fact that wins in the minor round are far more important to him than wins in September. David Koch's Port Adelaide is so far departed from the Port Adelaide that I grew up loving and supporting, that I feel hesitant to even call it Port Adelaide any more.

And yet Koch has the gall to declare that Hinkley is the club's most successful AFL coach, which clearly betrays the fact that wins in the minor round are far more important to him than wins in September. David Koch's Port Adelaide is so far departed from the Port Adelaide that I grew up loving and supporting, that I feel hesitant to even call it Port Adelaide any more.
We are basically the Adelaide Power

After we all sat at Alberton listening to the rhetoric from the club at the start of 2018 about how we are "ALL IN FOR A FLAG GUYZ" and we didn't even make the ******* finals, there should have been ZERO reason for Hinkley to keep his ******* job after that. None. Zero. How can you be all in for a flag, not make finals and then not make any ******* changes to the club? He's going to be at the club seven years after what should have been the absolute end of his coaching career.

D3AAFE47-4C6F-473F-8E59-9D1F02D01405.jpeg

And the kicker is,

The club responded by getting rid of Wingard, Polec & Pittard, and shamelessly pivoted to a narrative of “Ken has sacrificed his career for the good of the club”, “he’s getting on with navigating the perils of inconsistency that come with coaching such a young side”, and ultimately swept the Ben10-North disaster under the rug in service of this “WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, THEY’RE BLOODY KINDERGARTENERS!”/“ONE DAY WE WILL BE AWESOME!” mythology.

9547D5BD-80D5-40B3-B582-C3CB30CD9198.jpeg

Port Adelaide people can see straight through this garbage.

And they know this. So they paint us as delusional morons who can’t understand the modern draft/recruiting/salary cap process, while shoveling it down our throats.

And they’ve just sentenced us to two more years of it? Haha.

View attachment 1816710

And the kicker is,

The club responded by getting rid of Wingard, Polec & Pittard, and shamelessly pivoted to a narrative of “Ken has sacrificed his career for the good of the club”, “he’s getting on with navigating the perils of inconsistency that come with coaching such a young side”, and ultimately swept the Ben10-North disaster under the rug in service of this “WHAT DO YOU EXPECT, THEY’RE BLOODY KINDERGARTENERS!”/“ONE DAY WE WILL BE AWESOME!” mythology.

View attachment 1816711

Port Adelaide people can see straight through this garbage.

And they know this. So they paint us as delusional morons who can’t understand the modern draft/recruiting/salary cap process, while shoveling it down our throats.

And they’ve just sentenced us to two more years of it? Haha.

To be fair, pretty much every club in the league says the same stuff when they aren't performing. The difference is that after a while the media pressure begins and if you don't start winning you're gone. Unfortunately for us due to a combination of being a little battler club that nobody cares about and the famed Hinkley media protection racket, we get no such pressure and in fact have our own club legends and supporters getting defamed in the media for daring to expect anything more than repetitive and endless mediocrity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back