Analysis Malcolm Blight quit after Geelong fans booed him, will Argo Hinkley and Argo Koch do the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blight couldn't handle it, and fair enough he got Geelong into 2 GFs in 5 seasons and was in his 6th season and got there for a 3rd time at the end of theseason. What will the Argos do if we boo them during and after a showdown loss?

Malcolm Blight has opened up about the moment he decided he would be leaving Geelong as senior coach and how booing deeply affected him.

Blight speaks of a day at Kardinia Park back in Round 12 of 1994 where his Cats took on a struggling St Kilda side.

The Saints finished third last on the ladder that year, but led the perennially successful Geelong after kicking seven unanswered goals.

Blight breaks down what happened next, how it led to him choosing to leave Geelong and why people need to think about the long-term ramifications of booing before they do it.

“I remember it like yesterday,” Blight told SEN’s Whateley.

“I don’t think I’ve ever said this before, what actually happened was we played in a couple of Grand Finals and were going really well, and there was St Kilda who weren’t travelling well and they were in front of us.

“Gary Ayres was an assistant coach for the first time that year, he’d come from Hawthorn, and as I walked out and heard the booing, I turned to Gary and said, 'I told you, the Geelong people don’t like you Hawthorn people'.

“Which was funnily enough broke the ice and then I went and did my business.

“In the last quarter Gary Ablett Snr turned it on and the team played really well and we won the game.

“I can honestly say after that night and I said, 'Gary (Ablett), that to me says today that I won’t be here after this year'.

“I made my decision virtually that after all you’ve brought to the club, I thought if that’s what it’s got to (booing), I don’t have to put up with this.

“That booing is extreme and I thought this is a waste of time. We ended up making the Grand Final and I dutifully stepped aside and the reason being if that’s what the Geelong people think about what I’m doing, I might as well not be here.

“Now that’s pretty extreme, I’ve never told that story ever, ever before.

“It just disappointed me to no end… after all you’ve sort of done for the previous six years, you thought you might have had a few credit points, but that’s okay.

“So that booing to me just typifies something that I just think is extreme and something I don’t ever want to be a part of.

“People can pay their money and go and do that, but all sorts of things come after that booing and if you want to ask anyone, ask Adam Goodes about that. What it does to people… and on that sort of field, I just don’t get it.”

“Why people need to think about the long-term ramifications of booing before they do it”

If the long-term ramification is that the coach leaves then by god I’ll boo 10 times louder than I was already going to. Seems like an absolute win.

There is never really a time when you can boo a coach or the president unfortunately. You can boo a team, boo a player and that provides immediate feedback as to how you feel about them or their performance.

Perhaps a petition signed by as many supporters or members as possible asking for their resignation would be the best way to 'boo' one or both. Particularly the sensitive Ken Hinkley who finds it oh so stressful coaching in the Adelaide fishbowl. I'm not sure I can think of a more effective way to make our displeasure known. I suppose booing after the last game of the season might do it. Enough placards with words to the effect of Hinkley/Koch resign at the showdown would have a powerful effect.

To shore up Hinkley's position two games before the end of the season and days after saying hard decisions will have to be made is hard to swallow, and it will make it even harder for others to take us seriously.

Hinkley has had success when he has had the right assistants. Robertson, Walsh, Schofield. Without them his deficiencies as a coach become glaringly obvious.

There is never really a time when you can boo a coach or the president unfortunately. You can boo a team, boo a player and that provides immediate feedback as to how you feel about them or their performance.
Have you been drinking.

Read what Malcolm Blight said - the Geelong supporters booed him, he was pissed off and made up his mind to quit that day - coach out to the end of the year and fullfill his contract.

Every time Argo is on the screen you boo him. Everytime Argo walks past you, you boo him, every time Argo walks across the ground you boo him. Its not that *in hard. If Geelong supporters can do it why can't you?
Hinkley has had success when he has had the right assistants. Robertson, Walsh, Schofield. Without them his deficiencies as a coach become glaringly obvious.
Who is Robertson?

Perhaps a petition signed by as many supporters or members as possible asking for their resignation would be the best way to 'boo' one or both. Particularly the sensitive Ken Hinkley who finds it oh so stressful coaching in the Adelaide fishbowl. I'm not sure I can think of a more effective way to make our displeasure known. I suppose booing after the last game of the season might do it. Enough placards with words to the effect of Hinkley/Koch resign at the showdown would have a powerful effect.

To shore up Hinkley's position two games before the end of the season and days after saying hard decisions will have to be made is hard to swallow, and it will make it even harder for others to take us seriously.

Hang on - what success has Hinkley had? The Port Adelaide I grew up loving only measured success one way: did we win the premiership? If the answer is no, then we've failed.

If choking in preliminary finals is our new standard for success, then the old Port Adelaide is dead.

David Koch's position as chairman is now completely untenable. He has been publicly humiliated twice in the space of a couple of weeks - and by association we have all been humiliated by him. The absolute piss take of collingwood playing games with the bars, culminating with them 'giving us permisssion' to debase our traditional guernsey with lashings of teal (just once a year though) - and his weak whining response - should have been enough for him to realise he's out of his depth. Backed up with his tough talk on the coaching situation, followed by a complete capitualation after a couple of days of media bullying, should be the final nail.
He should have the self awareness and self respect to realise his time is up with his Little Old Port Adelaide' vanity project.

David Koch's position as chairman is now completely untenable. He has been publicly humiliated twice in the space of a couple of weeks - and by association we have all been humiliated by him. The absolute piss take of collingwood playing games with the bars, culminating with them 'giving us permisssion' to debase our traditional guernsey with lashings of teal (just once a year though) - and his weak whining response - should have been enough for him to realise he's out of his depth. Backed up with his tough talk on the coaching situation, followed by a complete capitualation after a couple of days of media bullying, should be the final nail.
He should have the self awareness and self respect to realise his time is up with his Little Old Port Adelaide' vanity project.

You also forgot his bullshit comments about Port leaving the SANFL which can't be backed up and was owned by of all people Darren Chandler on the issue. The guy is a pathetic fraud. GTFO.

Blight couldn't handle it, and fair enough he got Geelong into 2 GFs in 5 seasons and was in his 6th season and got there for a 3rd time at the end of theseason. What will the Argos do if we boo them during and after a showdown loss?

Malcolm Blight has opened up about the moment he decided he would be leaving Geelong as senior coach and how booing deeply affected him.

Blight speaks of a day at Kardinia Park back in Round 12 of 1994 where his Cats took on a struggling St Kilda side.

The Saints finished third last on the ladder that year, but led the perennially successful Geelong after kicking seven unanswered goals.

Blight breaks down what happened next, how it led to him choosing to leave Geelong and why people need to think about the long-term ramifications of booing before they do it.

“I remember it like yesterday,” Blight told SEN’s Whateley.

“I don’t think I’ve ever said this before, what actually happened was we played in a couple of Grand Finals and were going really well, and there was St Kilda who weren’t travelling well and they were in front of us.

“Gary Ayres was an assistant coach for the first time that year, he’d come from Hawthorn, and as I walked out and heard the booing, I turned to Gary and said, 'I told you, the Geelong people don’t like you Hawthorn people'.

“Which was funnily enough broke the ice and then I went and did my business.

“In the last quarter Gary Ablett Snr turned it on and the team played really well and we won the game.

“I can honestly say after that night and I said, 'Gary (Ablett), that to me says today that I won’t be here after this year'.

“I made my decision virtually that after all you’ve brought to the club, I thought if that’s what it’s got to (booing), I don’t have to put up with this.

“That booing is extreme and I thought this is a waste of time. We ended up making the Grand Final and I dutifully stepped aside and the reason being if that’s what the Geelong people think about what I’m doing, I might as well not be here.

“Now that’s pretty extreme, I’ve never told that story ever, ever before.

It just disappointed me to no end… after all you’ve sort of done for the previous six years, you thought you might have had a few credit points, but that’s okay.

“So that booing to me just typifies something that I just think is extreme and something I don’t ever want to be a part of.

“People can pay their money and go and do that, but all sorts of things come after that booing and if you want to ask anyone, ask Adam Goodes about that. What it does to people… and on that sort of field, I just don’t get it.”

Interesting reading. I highlighted a couple of things that stick out to me.

Ken has far fewer credit points than Blight had earned. Geelong like ourselves had got to a point where they couldn't trust their own, not even their own all time great on field magician, after such serial disappointments. Yes Malcolm, booing "your own", as unhappy as you may be, can be toxic. Geelong fans got change but it took another full decade, some super clever off field management/recovery, another on field crisis of performance, historic good luck with the early father-son rules... and finally much cooler heads to "review everything" and setup for their (still slow) start to 2007-.

Did the booing really get Geelong fans "what they wanted" back then? Big stretch to link cause and effect. They're not booing Chris Scott right now after ten years of undeniably better-than-Ken overall. The difference in appearance is that they always seem a credible threat, even when they fail in finals. And we don't feel like that even when at the top of the bloody table. I feel Port fans are now psychologically like that stage of Geelong fans in the mid 1990s, not confident unless we're 50 points up. Maybe even angrier among the older who at least recall a different standard of success in a smaller pond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a blatant hypocrite is Blight. He's one of the first to lambast Port people for having the gall to want action on Hinkley, yet he walked away from Geelong with a record 3 or 4 times better. Piss off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back