Autopsy To our fraud midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie Wines is unfortunately fast approaching Shane Woewodin territory as in how the **** did he win a brownlow, but I doubt the club has the cajones to trade him which they probably should do while he may still be worth something.

I hate to rag on Boak, who did stick fast when the club was on its knees when geebung came calling and he has played some excellent games over the years, but geez his set shot goal kicking is beyond diabolical.

Butters and Rozee were major disappointments again in a knock out final, it goes without saying they have to be better than what they showed tonight, maybe a decent ruck will be the key for them, same with JHF but I will cut him some slack this time.

Lycette is finished and shouldn't have been selected, and Drew is a role player who gets exposed when the rest of the midfield is crap.

Josh Carr, master midfield strategist.

Young core mids Butters, Rozee, JHF, with no support from the olds - Wines, Lycett.

Wings weak as piss - Duursma, Boak.

One trick pony defence based game plan. Can’t have both a tagger Drew and Ollie in same team, and 2 tagger high half forwards in DBJ and Mcentee. Negative mindset makes for losing finals.

Must plan with recruitment for 3-7 years from now. 2023 will be an anomaly with how many close games we won. Must get back early into the draft this year and next. Must trade Wines and DBJ. Need small forwards, wingers, and another versatile mid that can go forward.

Must play the kids, get games into them and in their natural positions.

Jackson should have been in for Ollie a month ago.

Stephen Coniglio played the game Ollie should have played.

No problem with Jason Horne Francis he's a 20 year old rookie who at least looked dangerous when he got the ball.

Butters shut down for the 2nd quarter. Think there's a pattern there where he does have a quarter a game he can be shut down then he works his way back. Need to do something about that?

Conner a game to forget.

I just don't get how a midfield group can show up in a final without any form of intensity, desire or passion. Given the history, given the questions that have been asked in the past and are being asked now.

How many missed or weak tackles? How many times did they lose the ground ball contest? How many times did they get outnumbered?

Lots of jogging around, lots of trying to look like they are working hard but actually putting in token efforts.

It was a scared performance. A Tom Clurey special. Too nice. I would've even been pleased to see a little bit of uncontrolled aggression, play on the edge, get a suspension or two.

Even *ingg Powell-Pepper looked scared!

I have said it on other threads but I just don't think the midfield clicks with Scott Lycett.

It is disappointing that Rozee, Butters, Houston, Horne-Francis were as a collective not the best.

But Wines, Boak and Lycett are not supporting much at all.

Our wings have been playing like trash. Duursma has been diabolical. Sometimes he looks punch drunk out on the field.

Their midfield just plays together so well and works really hard. Our midfield really needs Rozee and Butters to fire. It is more individual.

I am hoping next year, apart from Hinkley and Koch moving on, that some young guys get their opportunity.

Tom Green was so good.

The other thing is that Stephen Coniglio was out in the wilderness for a while but a good coach has got him playing some great football.

Collectively, they won the clearances 29-12 to the main break and the contested ball 81-63, with the Giants racking up 78 more disposals to half-time. The disposal and clearance differentials represented the Power's worst results in a half this season, and it came with their year on the line.

While the Power were beaten all over the ground, the midfield group will be particularly stung by its September performances after also lowering its colours against Brisbane in week one and losing the scores from stoppage indicator (-42) convincingly.

Daniels and Bedford 2 clearances each in the 2nd qtr. So the same as last week when Cameron and Fletcher went through the middle and Brisbane scored heavily.

Rioli averaged 3 clearances for WC last year and was in the last centre bounce of the 2018 Grand Final. SPP? No, why bother. We have Boak, Wines and Duursma.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't get how a midfield group can show up in a final without any form of intensity, desire or passion. Given the history, given the questions that have been asked in the past and are being asked now.

How many missed or weak tackles? How many times did they lose the ground ball contest? How many times did they get outnumbered?

Lots of jogging around, lots of trying to look like they are working hard but actually putting in token efforts.

It was a scared performance. A Tom Clurey special. Too nice. I would've even been pleased to see a little bit of uncontrolled aggression, play on the edge, get a suspension or two.

Even *ingg Powell-Pepper looked scared!
Personally I think mentally they overwork themselves for BIG finals and minor round games and become nervous.

Players want to hear about their oppositions vulnerabilities and made believe that they can exploit those vulnerabilities. Not just as individuals but as a team.
"If you keep up the pressure from the first bounce they will crack. They always do. Everyone knows."....
Says every coach meeting Port in a home final. Based on history.
Meanwhile at Alberton "Finals are scary".
Our midfield predictably shat the bed, not because they are frauds, because they were concentrated on their own "brilliance" rather than the oppositions weaknesses.
That is a coaching issue.

To borrow from Kingy, as fake as a $3 note. They proved what they really are the last 2 weeks. They aren't taking us to the promised land.
They are scared, you must of seen the interview with Rozee at half time (I think it was) he looked scared and confused. or the interview with Butters, same thing again. Until we get some serious leadership installed into our club, with a winning attitude and not the loser/s we have at present, things are not changing.

On field or of field, we need a spine with passion, pride and want!

Players want to hear about their oppositions vulnerabilities and made believe that they can exploit those vulnerabilities. Not just as individuals but as a team.
"If you keep up the pressure from the first bounce they will crack. They always do. Everyone knows."....
Says every coach meeting Port in a home final. Based on history.
Meanwhile at Alberton "Finals are scary".
Our midfield predictably shat the bed, not because they are frauds, because they were concentrated on their own "brilliance" rather than the oppositions weaknesses.
That is a coaching issue.
Yeah, it is a coaching problem and anyone with eyes knows it.

When we play against hard contested teams, our players are unable to withstand this type of onslaught. This is not just the midfield unfortunately but the entire team, especially the defence.

It was obvious in these finals against Brisbane and the Giants.

It was obvious in the minor round games against Collingwood. They are the best team in the comp and we get shafted more than Jenna Jameson with the umpires but it was obvious in the minor round games against the Crows too. We got killed by the Crows before the ball was bounced because they were so confident their basic hard, contested football would bamboozle us and it did. They didn't even make the 8. They beat us based on ticker.

We got done by Carlton when they started to play harder and stronger at the contest later in the year.

You have a look at the coaching change around the league. Collingwood gets rid of Buckley and brings in McRae and completely changes the team within a year. Kingsley comes in for essentially Cameron and completely changes the Giants. The lists are pretty much the same but the coaching staff knows what it is doing. Kingsley has been unbelievably impressive.

Hardwick is going to come in for Dewie Stew and I think everyone is waiting for the Sun to shine. It is just a matter of how quickly as their list is pretty good.

How about Yze? Richmond's list is not bad but not awesome so it may take time.

You look at Sam Mitchell doing it the right way and building the list for a premiership.

While Hinkley's weaknesses have never been addressed in 11 years and moving towards 13 years and beyond.

Fos Williams and Jack Cahill obviously used to embrace participation in finals and build the players confidence in the process, not give them get out clauses that continually result in failure, so I'm prepared to cut the midfield some slack until there is a coaching change.

Hinkley's `finals are scary' and `the sugar hit of finals' BS would have to be the most non Port Adelaide statements by any coach since the club was formed way back in 1870, a Maggie's magoos coach wouldn't have survived that sh*t back when we were a real footy club.

How the current regime continually extends the contract of a country bumpkin who can often sound like he struggled to complete primary school is now well beyond baffling, any other club in any other comp would have given him the rissole years ago!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back