Opinion Midfield depth

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's been a bit of chat about us lacking midfield depth.

I'm not sure that is true.

I think we just have most of our midfield depth playing in the AFL rather than the SANFL.

So who would you put in our depth chart and in what order. Here's mine based on 2024 expectations.

Butters
Rozee
JHF
Drew
Wines
Bergman
Boak
Houston
SPP
Narkle
Sinn
Jackson
Mead

I rate Sinn higher than most. Based on this list that's 13 players who whilst not all world beaters can play a role.

BZT and Rat freeing up possibilities for Huoston and Bergman helps.

The fitness (or otherwise) of Wines and Boak makes a massive difference to the list.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clear best 22:
Butters
Rozee
JHF
Drew

Can they still impact?:
Wines
Boak
Narkle

Rob Peter to pay Paul:
Bergman
Houston
SPP

Unproven:
Jackson
Mead
Sinn (mostly a half back from what I’ve seen)

I would like, and expect, us to add some depth through the draft, if possible.

Couple of names on that list worry me
1 Mead will only ever be a SANFL player.
2 Sinn walking dead, I would have a better chance of playing AFL midfield.

Willie Rioli ran through the centre square a fair bit at West Coast (was in the square for the last centre bounce of the 2018 GF, if you want an idea of how highly they rated him), if we're mentioning the likes of Houston and SPP we should probably mention him too.

First off, it is great to have elite talent for the first 3 midfield positions of Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis.
Drew gives us something different but might have too much time in the centre.
Wines just needs to have a good season, not even a great season, to get back to something.
I would rather see others than Boak in the centre but he's there as back up.

Happy to see what Hugh Jackson can do. People say he is ready to go and gives a point of difference. Yay.
I think Bergman could be an excellent big bodied midfielder.
Back of the end rotation Narkle could be a Mr Fixit.

I am a bit more concerned about wings as we got very little play from there. Considering Bonner and Duursma are gone, it is obvious the coaching staff has something in mind, perhaps Bergman, Burgoyne, Sinn. We haven't had a lot of dynamism for a while out there, I guess Amon with his kick. It would be great to have some real speed, run and carry, electricity from the wing which would really help the midfield overall.

I'd like to see Burton to the wing. He seems like the perfect prototype for a winger. He can replace Xavier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can replace this whole thread with, who will play outside mid and fwd roles successfully.

Bergman has failed previously on a wing. Burton can't. You aren't moving Houston. Boak is in his last year but has traditionally struggled whenever he's been out of the middle. Maybe Farrell could play wing, but it's hard to know and he's certainly not guaranteed. Sinn is the most expensive potato the clubs ever bought. Burgoyne clearly has natural outside player written all over him, but when playing an unaccountable role does look a bit softer. Mead clearly can't play anywhere other than mid. Narkle is an unknown for us in an outside role, but Cats fans tell us he can't play outside.

It's a serious glaring issue for us.

Then you cast your eyes to the forward half and just wonder how has DBJ got a contract for 3 more seasons, and how do we expect to go anywhere with McEntee. Evans has shown he should be playing a heck of a lot more, but even then again he's really just your short term role half forward, he certainly doesn't look like a future lock in the team. SPP has a role, Rioli has a role and they do it well, but we're 2 players short up there.

You can replace this whole thread with, who will play outside mid and fwd roles successfully.

Bergman has failed previously on a wing. Burton can't. You aren't moving Houston. Boak is in his last year but has traditionally struggled whenever he's been out of the middle. Maybe Farrell could play wing, but it's hard to know and he's certainly not guaranteed. Sinn is the most expensive potato the clubs ever bought. Burgoyne clearly has natural outside player written all over him, but when playing an unaccountable role does look a bit softer. Mead clearly can't play anywhere other than mid. Narkle is an unknown for us in an outside role, but Cats fans tell us he can't play outside.

It's a serious glaring issue for us.

Then you cast your eyes to the forward half and just wonder how has DBJ got a contract for 3 more seasons, and how do we expect to go anywhere with McEntee. Evans has shown he should be playing a heck of a lot more, but even then again he's really just your short term role half forward, he certainly doesn't look like a future lock in the team. SPP has a role, Rioli has a role and they do it well, but we're 2 players short up there.
Pretty good post, you get extra points for not buying into the Sinn Train.
We need someone with a good boot on them to play wing.

We have depth of mids in our 22 sure,

But when your sanfl midfield last year was mead dumont Jackson and nick Moore your next generation midfield doesn’t exist.

It’s probably fine when our midfield (butters rozee jhf and drew) are so young, but yeah… we don’t have replacements really outside our 22 right now.

Jed Mcentee to start in the centre Rd 1 next year.
Final Round Final Game
Port Adelaide….. ……. …… J. McEntee 3 votes.

Id like to declare that the 2024 Brownlow Medal has been won, with 32 votes, by M Bontempelli, with Z Butters and C Rozee tying for second on 31.

Couple of names on that list worry me
1 Mead will only ever be a SANFL player.
2 Sinn walking dead, I would have a better chance of playing AFL midfield.
Agreed, Mead is sanfl quality at best and I suspect he has only 1 more year on the list, and if Sinn doesn't show something next season the club may have to cut their losses and move him on as well.

Agreed, Mead is sanfl quality at best and I suspect he has only 1 more year on the list, and if Sinn doesn't show something next season the club may have to cut their losses and move him on as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mead gets longer than that. It will all depend on next year's trades and free agent recruitment.

Next year we don't have a 1st rounder and we have 3 certain delistings. Dixon, McKenzie and Boak will be gone. That's already enough.

Presuming Hayes, Fantasia and Lycett are gone.

After that we have delisting options of:
Jake Pasini - R
Jed McEntee - R
Quinton Narkle - R
Jackson Mead
Josh Sinn
Francis Evans
Tom McCallum

That whole group could be dropped tomorrow if we were being realistic, but with our draft picks we will need to be slow and patient in turning these guys over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back