The changing of the guard (midfield)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not talking about Port, as our changing of the guard has already happened. Rozee, Butters, Drew and JHF are the present, not the future.

But AFL wide are we ready to take over Melbourne's mantle as the #1 midfield in the league? If not are we next?

It will be a fascinating battle tonight and whilst the rain favours us overall (not necessarily winning but at least making it closer) it is a shame we don't get to see this battle in the dry.

Personally I think we are not quite ready to take over the mantle yet but I do think we will in a year or two.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds good in theory, but we're lacking a ruckman. Not sure if it was possible at all, but we should have gone for Grundy while the Pies were happy to get rid of him.
Yeah I guess it depends of you include rucks in the definition of midfield or not.

Same with wings.

Everyone seems to have a different definition.

Sounds good in theory, but we're lacking a ruckman. Not sure if it was possible at all, but we should have gone for Grundy while the Pies were happy to get rid of him.

Melbourne coughed up pick 27, we were all in on Horne-Francis, no room to manoeuvre.

And the talk was Grundy didn't want to leave the city of Melbourne.

He also had 5 years left on a big contract and had injury troubles.

Yeah I guess it depends of you include rucks in the definition of midfield or not.

Same with wings.

Everyone seems to have a different definition.

The way I see it, would the Melbourne trio be as dominant as they are without Gawn? Obviously Oliver and Petracca are elite, but how good would they be roving to Lycett or ****ing Brynn Teakle?

Then on the other hand, how good could ours be if we had someone like Gawn? As good and as exciting as ours are (and will be), at the moment we're playing to a losing tap each centre bounce.

I don't think we are quite ready to grab the mantle but I am happy to be wrong and it is exciting that we are even talking in these terms.

The Hornet still needs time to develop his body, tank and star potential.
We need a good or dependable ruck.
Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis can be so damaging by foot.
They really impact.

Ruck
Rozee
Butters
Horne-Francis
Wines
Drew
Boak

The two guys I am eyeing off for minutes in the midfield are Bergman and Sinn but other guys spring up like Mead and Jackson.

Jackson I want in asap.

Dante I'm very bullish about as he gets sanfl game time in Ruck.

Contrary to popular opinion I believe we actually put time into development of Teakle in the Ruck he will get the job done. That would have him Rucking at sanfl level for an extended period of time. The moving of Lycett and Hayes on.

Long term we are ok.

Not sure we're taking the mantle but we'd definitely be in the conversation if it wasn't for our disastrous ruck situation

So much this. It's unbelievable how resistant tactical-genius Kenneth has been to actually recruiting or playing a proper ruckman.

No wait, it's exceptionally believable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly haven't had a midfield this good on paper under Hinkley. Way too early to say they're the best in the competition. Let's see how they go over the rest of the season before we anoint them with such a title. What I'm certain of however is that they have the talent to match it with anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back