Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we have a massive paradigm shift in club mentality, we all know that Wines will probably be the next captain. I am happy with that, as it is a mediocre appointment by a mediocre coach, of a currently mediocre club! Consistency is our motto after all!

Assuming the impossible happens and Wines is overlooked, then we really only have four valid candidates IMO. Rozee, Houston, and Butters, with a fourth outside chance being Willem Drew. I totally discount SPP.

Of the four, Rozee is the obvious safe choice: Great player, good-looking, articulate, and shows obvious leadership qualities. Butters we know is of a similar ilk and class in quality & skills. Houston's game now in the elite class, and Willem Drew has become a solid quality mid who seems to never goes missing, and gives his all.

My preferences:
1] BUTTERS ... When Toby Green was appointed captain I was unimpressed. He is a bit of a pr!ck, a loose canon, and at times has been a poor role model on & off the field. I was wrong ... he has proved to be a GREAT captain of GWS. IMO Butters is of a similar ilk. He is a pest, at times a loose canon, but is crazy skillful, really cares about winning, and commands better from those around him. To me, af all the four, he shows more old-style Port Adelaide traits than any of them.

2] ROZEE ... Will also make a good Captain IMO ... Its just that I am over nice-guys leading the club ... I want more mongrel.

3] HOUSTON ... (see above)

4] DREW ... (See above)

I'm expecting it to be Wines which imo will be a typical but terrible decision. There is no obvious candidate though which speaks volumes of our leadership development. My criteria for our next captain includes - must be a very skilled, tough & consistent performer, must see winning a premiership as more important than anything else, must be an obvious leader on the field with his deeds, must demand consistent performance from team mates & must have the respect of players 26 years & younger (our current senior players have accepted mediocrity & therefore are irrelevant in this).

Based on this criteria Butters is the closest though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our next captain should be the only player who stood up in finals. Th only player who played with composure kept his head , made the right decisions and didn’t crumble under pressure. Our most skillful player Willie Rioli.

Our next captain should be the only player who stood up in finals. Th only player who played with composure kept his head , made the right decisions and didn’t crumble under pressure. Our most skillful player Willie Rioli.

Vigo Visentini has him covered.

He’s been the only guy in our forward line that has any idea on how to kick for goals.

Super Troopers Drinks GIF by Searchlight Pictures

It’s a bit like Covid, had it once don’t want it again.

Dude. You're probably going to get COVID again and it'll likely be courtesy some careless loudmouth schmuck that you desperately wish wasn't hanging around your social environment ruining things for everyone. Make a different analogy here please ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back