Are Jonas or Cassisi representative of our past captains?

Remove this Banner Ad

Moose_Rocco

Debutant
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was looking at past Port Adelaide captains of the past 60 years and I truly believe that Jonas and Cassisi would not be fit to tie the shoelaces of any of the previous captains listed.
By far are the 2 worst on the list.
Am I being biased?

Attachments

• IMG-20230326-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230326-WA0003.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 119

Somebody the other day did the coaches we had and how long they coached for ect...

Maybe we need club presidents and see how Mr bullshitter stacks up.

I always think - why do our players never mention Jonas as someone they look up to and want as a mentor?

As a young player, if you want to be a successful athlete, you model yourself on players like Boak, Petracca, Fyfe, Pendles (to name a few) that act professional. That lead by example on and off the field.

So why do the players continue to support Jonas each year with leading the team. Baffles me

I don’t rate either of them.

Both have a “who else can we give it to?” Vibe.

We should have done what Geelong did with Selwood and gave Boak the captaincy earlier and he probably should still have it now or maybe gave it up a couple of years ago to Ollie avoiding that co captain debacle.

I feel like cassisi is ahead of Jonas for me.

I’ve mentioned it before, we couldn’t fill a minute montage of inspirational footage from Jonas.

I think it's harsh on Cassisi....Tredders really should have stayed on as captain in '09, he was only 30, but then it should have gone to Shaun. Outside of that there weren't really many options.

I'd say he was a reluctant captain who took it on during a period of real instability in the back office with power struggles galore. When we were really s**t I at least felt he gave it everything he had and demanded something from a pretty low talent group (including himself).

Jonas doesn't even appear to give a s**t most of the time. It's all about living his best life and avoiding the "white noise" brigade.

I don't think this is particularly fair on Cassisi. He was an excellent clubman who got handed the reins when we were at our lowest ebb, with a gutted football department and a dearth of leadership at every level of the football department. Despite that, he always fronted up and acknowledged that the performances weren't acceptable and that he and the rest of the club had to be better. He is someone i'm proud to be associated with our club, and a premiership player to boot. Had the club stayed strong at the top, Dom would have been a dependable DVC type and we would have had more appropriate choices for the captaincy.

Jonas is arguably another who would never have been made captain if we were a truly excellent club, but ultimately when Boak abdicated (which was questionable in itself), who else was there?

A club with soft leadership breeds soft leaders. This is a symptom not a cause.

Remember when Boak stood down they literally didn’t have an obvious leader to replace him so they appointed joint captains, that tells you a lot about our leadership group over recent years.

it should have gone to Shaun.

This is an interesting one. Did Shaun really want the responsibility? He certainly didn't want the responsibility of being our best midfielder, and traded that in to play a less accountable halfback role at the Hawks. I'd love to see the alternate universe where he was made captain, I suspect he still would have left.

This is an interesting one. Did Shaun really want the responsibility? He certainly didn't want the responsibility of being our best midfielder, and traded that in to play a less accountable halfback role at the Hawks. I'd love to see the alternate universe where he was made captain, I suspect he still would have left.
Yeah I tend to agree. They were clearly looking for a passing of the guard from the core of the '01-'04 team to the new generation. Taking a look at the list and who was in the right age bracket, say 23 - 27, to lead the next 5 years isn't great reading (see below). Basically it Dom, Shaun or Kane. If Shaun wasn't all in the pickings were slim.

Name - Age - Games
Daniel Motlop 27yr 97
Domenic Cassisi 26yr 128
Shaun Burgoyne 26yr 148
Kane Cornes 26yr 162
David Rodan 25yr 112
Brett Ebert 25yr 98
Michael Pettigrew 24yr 76
Steven Salopek 23yr 78
Tom Logan 23yr 39
Jacob Surjan 23yr 66
Jason Davenport 23yr 0
Troy Chaplin 23yr 61
Danyle Pearce 23yr 71

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes without saying that Cassisi was comparatively limited as a natural talent versus the Tredreas, Wanganeens, Eberts and Quinns, but he was a super-combative underrated ‘follow me’ type in the Ginever and Johnston mould who was dealt a situational hand (clubwise) that the aforementioned names weren’t.

Was voted Best Team Man multiple times and even won a Showdown Medal before the leg fracture in Round 2 2011 cut him down when he’d evolved into a wholly-reliable 20 disposal/8 tackle mid.

More than deserves his place alongside the rest of our #1’s.

It goes without saying that Cassisi was comparatively limited as a natural talent compared to the Tredreas, Wanganeens, Eberts and Quinns, but he was a super-combative underrated ‘follow me’ type in the Ginever and Johnston mould who was dealt a situational hand (clubwise) that the aforementioned names weren’t.

Was voted Best Team Man multiple times and even won a Showdown Medal before the leg fracture in Round 2 2011 cut him down when he’d evolved into a wholly-reliable 20 disposal/8 tackle mid.

More than deserves his place alongside the rest of our #1’s.
...i had to actually think about who our captain was before Jonas. Oops.

Yeah I tend to agree. They were clearly looking for a passing of the guard from the core of the '01-'04 team to the new generation. Taking a look at the list and who was in the right age bracket, say 23 - 27, to lead the next 5 years isn't great reading (see below). Basically it Dom, Shaun or Kane. If Shaun wasn't all in the pickings were slim.

Name - Age - Games
Daniel Motlop 27yr 97
Domenic Cassisi 26yr 128
Shaun Burgoyne 26yr 148
Kane Cornes 26yr 162
David Rodan 25yr 112
Brett Ebert 25yr 98
Michael Pettigrew 24yr 76
Steven Salopek 23yr 78
Tom Logan 23yr 39
Jacob Surjan 23yr 66
Jason Davenport 23yr 0
Troy Chaplin 23yr 61
Danyle Pearce 23yr 71
Imagine if it was Troy Chaplin! * me

I was looking at past Port Adelaide captains of the past 60 years and I truly believe that Jonas and Cassisi would not be fit to tie the shoelaces of any of the previous captains listed.
By far are the 2 worst on the list.
Am I being biased?

football is an entertainment industry these days

you can see the period when it was a part of life (and death)

I don't think Jonas has ever been the same footballer since the Gaff incident, where David King led the charge to have him all but thrown out of the game for belting his head prefect best mate, the same head prefect mate King would later plead for leniency from the judiciary for over the Brayshaw hit. Jonas has been timid ever since, and a complete shadow of that former self.

Moral of the story, David King is a piece of s**t and i hate his guts.

I don't think Jonas has ever been the same footballer since the Gaff incident, where David King led the charge to have him all but thrown out of the game for belting his head prefect best mate, the same head prefect mate King would later plead for leniency from the judiciary for over the Brayshaw hit. Jonas has been timid ever since, and a complete shadow of that former self.

The secondary Helen Lovejoying when he checked Dahlhaus in Ballarat and copped a week was genuine ‘am I taking crazy pills?!’ stuff

Harsh on Cassisi.

The Shaun v Dom debate will probably be argued for generations to come. But its a poor reflection on Cassisi

Cassisi must have done something rignt. No one remembers the ground work. What would have happened if Boak or Trengove didn’t re-sign? Cassisi would have been there.

Being a leader is hard. Being a leader when things aren’t good it harder still.

Jonas has been a serviceable player, but he's clearly past it. He'll probably struggle until nearly the end of the season and then largely be remembered as the player he was in 2023, rather than his best years. Then ultimately be known as the Port captain who was dropped to end his career (badged as a farewell game with a few to go), when the caretaker finally makes the call after Ken has been sacked.

He'd probably have left a better legacy as a short-term captain if he'd handed it over at the end of last season - or better yet after the 2021 embarrassment.

Jonas was serviceable through to 2020, but he's been s**t since then, worse year on year. He should have clearly been removed as Captain end of 2021, but of course that'd reflect on Ken, so 'Wooahh, no siree, not at the Ken Hinkley Football Club!'.

As noted I think he was serviceable, but I think his making the AA squad I think is a bit deceptive. The AA squad (rather than just AA team) serves a few purposes. Obviously to try and generate interest (money) in 'Will my teams player make it?'. One of the unsaid reasons, IMO, though is it exists as much to reward teams as players. E.g. Port has generally had an (on-paper) decent defense, if you just look at points conceded (and ignore everything else). As it's been from overloading it and dragging it into a slugfest often, no players have generally stood out, but hey it's conceded little. So the AA squad (as opposed to team), allows them to pick a Port defender to go there as the 'here you go Port fans', without him ever under real consideration for a spot. Other teams / positions / players have similarly made the squads, rather than teams, since the expanded list, but Jonas is the obvious Port inclusion for this 'team reward'.

Yeah that was an old school hit.

I recall this like I do this one as I sit in the pocket. (different player but just reminded me).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back