Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

He was voted the most courageous player by his peers and the best player by all the coaches. Those 2 things hold pretty strong weight when picking a captain. He'll learn from his finals performances and be better for the run in the long term. He has some mongrel about him too which the others don't have. The only question would be, does Zak want it?

He was voted the most courageous player by his peers and the best player by all the coaches. Those 2 things hold pretty strong weight when picking a captain. He'll learn from his finals performances and be better for the run in the long term. He has some mongrel about him too which the others don't have. The only question would be, does Zak want it?
Yeah, the Most Courageous Award does tilt it towards Butters.

And I think most would agree he has as much courage as anyone. Need an on field leader like this!
We need an on field leader who can actually lead and play well in big games.

One who can hit a target under pressure, one who can kick a goal under pressure.

One who knows how to do media and not open his big mouth

Its easy to see who we don't need

For me Butters is the natural and should get it next year and maybe at some point in the future JHF takes over

Unfortunately I believe we will go with the old brigade and select Wines.
I don’t have anything against him but now would be a good time to have a new face as captain.

Ken will want Ollie to get it. Think time has drifted past him a bit now.

I'd be ok with Zac or 'Tex' Houston, of our available players. Reckon the 24 - 26 age group is when you start looking at leaders in your club.

Depending on how he tracks, JHF in 3 or 4 years' time. Maybe give him a V/C role in two years from now?

Still feels weird to me that the word "old" is being put next to Wines. Only felt like yesterday him and Wingard were 2 blue chippers coming straight out of the draft.

Wines has been at the front of the cue during his career. But if he cannot manage his knee issue to the degree that he can confidently do his playing role then imo he cannot be captain. Rozee can lead by example imo, Houston has some aggressive spunk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken will want Ollie to get it. Think time has drifted past him a bit now.
If Ken wanted Ollie to get it, then he should have taken it off of Jonas last year.

Agree, Butters and Rozee have become so squeeky clean and their media stuff is vanilla. Houston has a personality, is a leader on field and makes us a whole lot more interesting Both on and off the field.
Haha you reckon thats what people on here were saying when he and Party Pete organised that party in the middle of the 2020 covid adjusted season and got the club a $50k fine, half suspended and the offer half was counted against the 2021 soft cap amount.

My memory remembers a lot different opinions.

i dont know who i would make captain?, the last person in the world i would make would be wines, i have never seen an ounce of leadership material in him as far as being a football captain goes, i though this prior to him being made captain last time and i could never understand why people with-in the football club always thought he was captaincy material, this is a classic example of why Ken Hinkley is a fraud because i think he was the main one who drove this narrative when it is quite clear he doesnt have it in him.

Houston has a bit of leadership in him, i think he would sit well this the players and might not be a bad option until we get rid of the fraud and to not let any of our young players get stained with Hinkley propaganda

SPP has potential, game day he would be ok but im not sure how well he would handle the day to day stuff

butters, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

rozee, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

jhf, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

all that being said i hope its DBJ as that would be a fitting way to cap off the most disastrous period at Alberton since the early 70s

For a club supposedly in a premiership window, we do lack obvious leaders. I’m beginning to think I wouldn’t be against co captains Rozee, Butters and JHF and see who stands out after a year or two.
If you compare our main leaders to other sides we are definitely in the bottom third for quality and/or form over the last year or so.

I remember in 2006, all these "footy expert" going on about Geelong had no leaders and nobody looked good enough to be captain of the club and be successful at it. Rob Walls was the most vocal of the "footy experts."

Tom Harley and co proved them wrong after the best CEO in clubland, Brian Cook shook up the place in 2006. Nobody questioned Harley's leadership ( or other players at Geelong) after about Rd 8 of 2007.

Bottom line, unless you are in the inner sanctum, you don't really know who has the goods. The media trained dribble the players talk at pressers, can be ignored.

Haha you reckon thats what people on here were saying when he and Party Pete organised that party in the middle of the 2020 covid adjusted season and got the club a $50k fine, half suspended and the offer half was counted against the 2021 soft cap amount.

My memory remembers a lot different opinions.
I remember it well but last time I looked it’s now 2023 he’s an AA and he’s addressed the susppension and it’s old news. Plus we all know it was Pistol 😊

i dont know who i would make captain?, the last person in the world i would make would be wines, i have never seen an ounce of leadership material in him as far as being a football captain goes, i though this prior to him being made captain last time and i could never understand why people with-in the football club always thought he was captaincy material, this is a classic example of why Ken Hinkley is a fraud because i think he was the main one who drove this narrative when it is quite clear he doesnt have it in him.

Houston has a bit of leadership in him, i think he would sit well this the players and might not be a bad option until we get rid of the fraud and to not let any of our young players get stained with Hinkley propaganda

SPP has potential, game day he would be ok but im not sure how well he would handle the day to day stuff

butters, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

rozee, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

jhf, just try and keep him way from any brainwashing that the heriarchy will try to put him through

all that being said i hope its DBJ as that would be a fitting way to cap off the most disastrous period at Alberton since the early 70s
This is exactly my thoughts...

One thing with the younger blokes is I'd rather they take over in a better culture than the fraidy cat loser culture we have today, or they will forever be stained by "finals are scary" Hinkley and probably never grow in to a good leader.

Houston/Pep would be able to resist this crap which is why they are easily the best two candidates.

Wines/DBJ would be able to just cover off the waiting period - ie we aren't going anywhere anyway in the next two years so if we can't trade him why not just let Wines have it for two years then start fresh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back