Strategy What’s Our Wing Strategy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
In the last two off seasons we have willingly off loaded our starting wings- Amon and Duursma - as well as one main back up- Bonner. On top of that, Sinn has been told to settle in across half back next year, so unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be an immediate option. So, what‘s the plan moving forward?

Bergman is a lock on one wing. He was superb in a quarter against GWS, kicking 3 goals and helping to win the game in the first quarter. Just how good GWS were became painfully apparent a few weeks later.

Bergman can break lines 2 ways: 1. Run and carry; 2. Providing an aerial option. On top of all that he is a very good field kick and provides a goal threat.

Ideally, our other wingman can do the same. That’s why Wines and Boak are not the option. Wines provides no line breaking run and carry and Boak is no aerial threat.

My choice would be Georgiades. With Finlayson, Dixon, Marshall and Lord as tall forward options, we can look to play him somewhere else. He is great in the air, a very underrated field kick and a real goal threat. He may not be a run and carry player but he is certainly better than Wines in this regard and aerially too.

Finlayson could probably work in this space too but I don’t see too many other options. IMO, having two aerially proficient wings is three times as good as having one, as it opens up far more options for transitioning the ball- and that is the job description of a wing.

I want to see Houston move to take a wing spot. Sinn (if fit), Farrell, Williams and Burton can take the back flanks.

Having him kicking inside 50 and being in the forward half of the ground can be a lot more damaging if he can dictate the play to our forwards.
Williams was very impressive last season, hope he continues on the form.

Munch down on a bucket of wicked wings pre-game and forget about this planning garbage.

Georgiades or Finlayson playing up the ground in the old Westhoff role I think is probably a great solution while the coaches continue to persist with Dixon. Both have great running power, are excellent overhead and can create and score

In the last two off seasons we have willingly off loaded our starting wings- Amon and Duursma - as well as one main back up- Bonner. On top of that, Sinn has been told to settle in across half back next year, so unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be an immediate option. So, what‘s the plan moving forward?

Bergman is a lock on one wing. He was superb in a quarter against GWS, kicking 3 goals and helping to win the game in the first quarter. Just how good GWS were became painfully apparent a few weeks later.

Bergman can break lines 2 ways: 1. Run and carry; 2. Providing an aerial option. On top of all that he is a very good field kick and provides a goal threat.

Ideally, our other wingman can do the same. That’s why Wines and Boak are not the option. Wines provides no line breaking run and carry and Boak is no aerial threat.

My choice would be Georgiades. With Finlayson, Dixon, Marshall and Lord as tall forward options, we can look to play him somewhere else. He is great in the air, a very underrated field kick and a real goal threat. He may not be a run and carry player but he is certainly better than Wines in this regard and aerially too.

Finlayson could probably work in this space too but I don’t see too many other options. IMO, having two aerially proficient wings is three times as good as having one, as it opens up far more options for transitioning the ball- and that is the job description of a wing.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
Our strategy is to sacrifice the running power and transitioning across thevlines from defence to deep in attack, by making the wings dummies that draw the oppo out of position.
Then our static defenders can use our explosive, scoreboard impacting, high half forwards - and cut out the middle man :D:cool:
Masterful!

I always wanted a good wing man to help me chat up girls when I was young and had hair on my head. Now I realise that I didn't need one at all (thanks to Ken's brilliant strategies).

I'm seeing a very different player with regards to this facet of Bergman's game. I think he's one of the worst kicks in the team.

I also don't know if he's a lock on a wing - I feel we'll still use him in a very interceptory role.

I think that's why I find Sinn reportedly being pushed back into defence rather than wing so disappointing. Maybe Lorenz will come on quicker than we anticipate. Probably too small at this stage though. Kane Farrell on one wing I'd imagine, Burgoyne also a chance.

Bergman,Finlayson,Burton or Houston are really our only options.
If Jr Burgoyne can put on 10kg of muscles maybe another option

Bergman, Farrell First options.
Bergman can still drift in to take defensive marks like Duursma did and mark up forward
Finlayson worth a shot and would provide marking power so long as his opponents don’t run off him.
Burgoyne, sinn, Jackson, narkle options
No boak or wines or dbj please
No georgi either, not a wing man. Never will be. He is a natural full forward who lacks the field vision required to play further the ground. if our wings are just decoys it doesn’t really matter anyway so long as they can cover their opponents run and carry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea of Georgiades is better than the reality of Georgiades. His fieldplay is relatively poor. He played up the ground at times in 2022 and early this year and it was quite jarring to me how often he would turn the ball over with bad skill errors, particularly handballs. He would need a massive improvement in this area if he were to line up on the wing. But in saying that, if his fitness was good enough, and he was given the right coaching on how to play that role, his marking would be a real asset in defence and transition.

Bergman is a very good kick!!! Please, which games are you watching? He is a butcher, cant hit a 20m target to save himself. Yes he is a nice runner, yes he takes a nice mark but with a kicking efficiency of 62% he is below average. Zero wingman @ Port.

I don't mind this theory but would swap Finlayson and Georgiades as Finlayson does most of his damage heading back with the ball rather than leading to it anyway.

The idea of Georgiades is better than the reality of Georgiades. His fieldplay is relatively poor. He played up the ground at times in 2022 and early this year and it was quite jarring to me how often he would turn the ball over with bad skill errors, particularly handballs. He would need a massive improvement in this area if he were to line up on the wing. But in saying that, if his fitness was good enough, and he was given the right coaching on how to play that role, his marking would be a real asset in defence and transition.
Hinkley will do to Georgi what he did to Duursma. Both had fantastic debut years then ruined by our coach with undefined or wrong roles (injuries notwithstanding).

Bergmans kicking issue is decision making more than execution. He makes some massive clangers regularly.

Hopefully Bergs develops into a good winger, and from the clubs talk in off season it sounds like that's the obvious move. However we've seen him play there quite a bit and he's been poor. He's proven far more valuable behind the ball.

Personally I expect we'll be sitting here in September talking again about how we have a hole on our list, this time on the wing.

Burgoyne is probably the best suited player to a wing role on the list. He needs to have a huge preseason and claim that spot.

Xavier Duursma had a kicking efficiency of 66.4% last season. Miles Bergman had a kicking efficiency of 62.7%. Duursma had 2.6 score involvements per game to Bergman's 2.7.

You could put Bergman in Duursma's spot and he wouldn't be any worse.

Farrell had his breakout games playing on the Wing when we first moved him out of the forward line.
I guess we are wanting his leg and precision kicking in cutting through defensive zones coming out of defence though.
Houston's impact is far better off the hbf in this respect as well.

I mentioned about Duurs that we never see him as offering much of an option as an attacking wingman when coming out of packs. If this is an instruction for our wingman as being defacto backmen then someone like a Burgoyne or Bergman could be options as we would be using them more defensively anyway.

I would rather we change how we use them but we have gotten rid of our attack first wingmen over the past few years so I suspect Hinkley doesn't see a lot of use in generating attack via the wings.

Xavier Duursma had a kicking efficiency of 66.4% last season. Miles Bergman had a kicking efficiency of 62.7%. Duursma had 2.6 score involvements per game to Bergman's 2.7.

You could put Bergman in Duursma's spot and he wouldn't be any worse.
Completely different positions (I can't believe I'm replying to a Janus post) - a lot of Bergman's kicks were from marks or under no pressure and just straight up missing targets. Playing in the backlines, 62.7% is HORRIFIC for disposal efficiency.

Dylan Williams: 78.9%
Ryan Burton: 79.5%
Kane Farrell: 79.7%
Dan Houston: 75.8%
Jase Burgoyne: 77.8%
Lachie Jones: 79.8%

That's what someone playing Bergman's 2023 position should be getting close to achieving.

So if he moves up to a wing, you'd be hoping beyond hope that his kicking efficiency wouldn't go down. Hopefully it improves if that's where we intend to play him.

Completely different positions (I can't believe I'm replying to a Janus post) - a lot of Bergman's kicks were from marks or under no pressure and just straight up missing targets. Playing in the backlines, 62.7% is HORRIFIC for disposal efficiency.
These would be referred to as clangers, right?

Bergman had 5 disposals per clanger. Lachie Jones had 5.3. For reference, premiership defender Brayden Maynard had 5.6.

Dylan Williams: 78.9%
Ryan Burton: 79.5%
Kane Farrell: 79.7%
Dan Houston: 75.8%
Jase Burgoyne: 77.8%
Lachie Jones: 79.8%

That's what someone playing Bergman's 2023 position should be getting close to achieving.

So if he moves up to a wing, you'd be hoping beyond hope that his kicking efficiency wouldn't go down. Hopefully it improves if that's where we intend to play him.
Yes, this is why I want him out of defence. You want your best users of the ball at half-back. When Bergman played wing against GWS, his disposal efficiency was 80%.

These would be referred to as clangers, right?

Bergman had 5 disposals per clanger. Lachie Jones had 5.3. For reference, premiership defender Brayden Maynard had 5.6.

Yes, this is why I want him out of defence. You want your best users of the ball at half-back. When Bergman played wing against GWS, his disposal efficiency was 80%.
I am absolutely confused at what you're trying to prove with the disposals per clanger stat?

Because you then go on to say he's not a good user of the ball?

Like, I don't understand what the argument is there.

Cool, he kicked well in a one-game sample size. Like I said, hopefully he improves his kicking if he's going to be playing wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back