Opinion Our Next Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly my thoughts...

One thing with the younger blokes is I'd rather they take over in a better culture than the fraidy cat loser culture we have today, or they will forever be stained by "finals are scary" Hinkley and probably never grow in to a good leader.

Houston/Pep would be able to resist this crap which is why they are easily the best two candidates.

Wines/DBJ would be able to just cover off the waiting period - ie we aren't going anywhere anyway in the next two years so if we can't trade him why not just let Wines have it for two years then start fresh.

Dbj lol you cannot be serious

Dbj lol you cannot be serious
Ken Hinkley getting a two year contract isn't serious. You have to face facts that we aren't a serious club.

We're a minnow also ran with zero ambition to be anything more than that, and that will remain the case until at minimum 2026.

So while we're in this waiting pattern it honestly doesn't matter at all who is captain - what matters is who will be captain in 2026 and how we set them up for success. If that's JHF or Butters I'd much rather they spend the next two years not getting infected by our current weak leadership - let them focus on their football and then let them become leaders in a new leadership group then with a good coach.

Trigger warning.

Glad they're satisfied with Connor and Zak's seasons 🙄

View attachment 1816954

Anyone who hasn't been infected by Hinkley's loser attitude for next captain please.
Norwood reserves plays some how gets to be AFL captain, the main boggles. Surely every other club laughs to themselves when they see captain next to his name

Damien Barrett says give it to Zak Butters.

Haha you reckon thats what people on here were saying when he and Party Pete organised that party in the middle of the 2020 covid adjusted season and got the club a $50k fine, half suspended and the offer half was counted against the 2021 soft cap amount.

My memory remembers a lot different opinions.
Fair point REH but young blokes have a habit of doing silly stuff every now and then.

From memory we have previously discussed an incident from way back in the mid 1970's involving a couple of players and their after hours `moment' at a premises on Brighton road, and where Bob McLean was contacted late that night to sort it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skipper will be Rozee and Butters VC - take it to the bank
Appointing Rozee as captain and a new coach would've have been the perfect way to move away from the trash of the Hinkley era and give the club a freshness and new hope. Instead we have this black cloud of same ol' and counting down until he's gone.

Rozee would be a fine choice. The gap between his best and worst performances is (mostly) not too stark, he is capable of doing something that lifts the team, he presents well in public and generally seems well-respected. Also, I don't think he would be overwhelmed by it.

I don't think we have anyone who ticks as many boxes.

I would prefer Butters, but if he's VC then it's not a bad choice. Certainly better than going with Wines. His form has been done and he's way too invested in the KHFC instead of the PAFC. IF it is Rozee the only interesting one is, did Wines want the job and the players and/or coach went with Rozee, or Wines didn't nominate.

The downside of Rozee (that is no fault of his), is if he gets it, it feels like 2024 marketing is going to be 'Youth, new, new, youth! (subtext don't expect results this year!)', giving Ken the ready made excuse to do the usual 'contract signed, time for a down year' routine, then bounce back to finals 2025 (and do nothing in them), ready to say THIS list, is FINALLY the one that'll do something in 2026 - as long as Daddy donuts gets another contract.

I'd be happy with either Butters or Rozee. I feel like Wines can be a great support to either

It just wouldn't make sense to go with wines for next year, if they were going down that path they would've already done that at the start of 2023? Maybe Wines doesn't want it, and Jonas held on for one more year until Rozee or Butters were ready.

Either Way i think Wines can offer the support to both Rozee and Butters in the leadership group, but if we went with him it could quite easily end up with another Jonas situation. Wines needs to focus on his footy and getting back some form without the added pressure of captaincy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back