Opinion Next Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised particularly when they said the number 42 was reserved for Jonas last week. I would be very surprised if Jonas is captain next year.
10 was reserved for Boak whilst he was captain. Not sure it means anything.

Tom Scully? He captained GWS didn't he? 😉

I'm hoping the decision makers won't be silly enough to give Jonas another year, but unfortunately I can see that happening.
The input of Josh Carr could be crucial to any potential change though, as I suspect he is the type of coach who would prefer a captain who has more impact around the ground.

I could be wrong but I am yet to hear if Jonas has retained the captaincy. At times last year I was questioning if Jonas should have even been in the side. Is it time for Wines to take the reins???

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I am yet to here if Jonas has retained the captaincy. At times last year I was questioning if Jonas should have even been in the side. Is it time for Wines to take the reins???
As per usual these days, the club missed a trick by not handing over the reins to Wines last year. Timing would've been perfect as the reigning Brownlow medalist.

I see him as one of our most important players already, imagine losing him and he’s still only 23. It’s pretty clear he has the appropriate characteristics and temperament outside of his performance to lead.. strong work ethic and discipline, reminds me of a young Riewoldt.

22 yo Riewoldt was named club captain for 2005 as part of their rotating captaincy policy. Prior achievements:
  • AFL Rising Star: 2002
  • Trevor Barker Award (B&F): 2002, 2004
  • All-Australian team: 2004
  • Leigh Matthews Trophy(Players MVP): 2004
  • He put his body on the line to a stupid extent almost every game until being made captain.

24 yo Todd Marshall
  • was our leading goalkicker last year.
  • Last year was the first year he put his body on the line as a contested marking forward.

They are both lithe, blond KPF's. That is probably why a young Marshall reminds you of a young Riewolt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 yo Riewoldt was named club captain for 2005 as part of their rotating captaincy policy. Prior achievements:
  • AFL Rising Star: 2002
  • Trevor Barker Award (B&F): 2002, 2004
  • All-Australian team: 2004
  • Leigh Matthews Trophy(Players MVP): 2004
  • He put his body on the line to a stupid extent almost every game until being made captain.

24 yo Todd Marshall
  • was our leading goalkicker last year.
  • Last year was the first year he put his body on the line as a contested marking forward.

They are both lithe, blond KPF's. That is probably why a young Marshall reminds you of a young Riewolt.
We can safely add kicking accuracy and the ability to contribute effectively in up the ground play.. Marshall has great poise for his height. Applys defensive pressure, tackles well and can wheel around, lower his eyes and hit up a target..

Iirc Riewoldt pushed Richo up the wing a bit in his last few years where as Marshall has had Dixon predominantly stationed inside the square at a similar age..

Sorry, did I read the room wrong?
What else is going to transpire? Unless Jonas steps aside now and Ollie takes over it’s business as usual. I ain’t replying what I wish. Rather what is going to happen.

Without the captaincy i'm not sure he is a walk up start anymore.
Yeah, that seems to be the popular opinion on here but i feel he is probably one of our more consistent performers down back. I like Allir but he is hot and cold, and Clurey is in the same boat. Mckenzie was quite consistent and reliable 2020-21 but he was terrible last year but that was probably a lot to do with the injuries he was carrying. I don't mind Jonas because you at least know what you are going to get each week, you can't question is effort.

I think we should have co captains, maybe 3. Such a hard game these days. Our community would be so proud
Our chances of winning matches are directly proportional to the number of captains so why stop at three. Make the entire squad co-captains.

Keith Thomas said that having a single captain is just an outdated fashion like footballers wearing caps.

Our chances of winning matches are directly proportional to the number of captains so why stop at three. Make the entire squad co-captains.

Keith Thomas said that having a single captain is just an outdated fashion like footballers wearing caps.
Keith Thomas' greatest achievement at the PAFC was carrying bags of ice at one of our Family Days.

ya need to look past stats, check out our potential capt in the first 30 mins of the bulldogs prelim final.. dont look at our defenders getting torched cause it came down gift wrapped.

can wines kick? go out to practise and have kick to kick with him.. bring ya runners youll need them

Belated response. I remember when people were calling out his Brownlow. Looking at the finals stats of past Brownlow winners, he sizes up VERY well. Is a finals gun. Is arguably one of the best finals players outside of Dustin Martin. It's a bit rich pinning the Bulldogs Prelim on him going missing for 5-8 minutes when we still got our ass pounded with him carrying everyone on his back for the other 2 hours. The rest of the midfield squibbed for the whole game. He could have run around like prime Dustin Martin on a cocktail of steroids and meth and we still would have lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back