Our Key Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hobo

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching AFL360 and David King highlighted his concerns regarding our one on one defence. Specifically he highlighted McKenzie and his poor form over the past few weeks.

I don't know if he's injured or something, as a number of examples that were shown where he just gave up or didn't chase. Playing exactly like someone carrying an injury who can't run or burst off as he wants to. I'm a huge McKenzie fan, I think he brings a lot to our team defence, but it was concerning footage.

If his poor form continues, what are our realistic options as a key defender for this season, ready to go now.

Jonas is the obvious choice, but he's having his own form issues.

As someone who doesn't watch any SANFL, how are the other key defensive options tracking? Pasini a chance at all? Do we ever try some of our forwards in defence? Lord or someone like that? I know we were trying Teakle back for a while before he got injured.

David King raised it as the biggest reason he doesn't think Port can win the flag, and I tend to agree. We have tidied up so many other facets of our game - this is the one remaining bugbear for me. It's entirely a personnel issue at this stage - but what can we do to paper the cracks now.

Finlayson used to play in defence, is he an option? (as well as he has done up forward for us)

We're definitely short of the sort of players we want to use, but every club that wins a flag every year has these kinds of shortages and they just deal with them. Jonas is an AFL experienced backup but he's clearly slowing down and he's not the elite kicking style of player we like to use under Carr.

I'd rather we use Bergman and Burton as a key defender than someone like Pasini or another untried or position switched player.

It is not an excuse for failure. We've just won 11 games in a row and played a slew of top 8 sides on the way. Our defence has held up probably better than it ever has, including games against sides with multiple quality tall forwards.

It's been an issue for us all season (and the last few seasons) but as long as the mids and flankers keep up on the pressure, it won't get exposed.
Huge risk to take in my eyes - King also mentioned that we are the worst defensive 50 for one on one wins.

Our mids are keeping the supply down - but we have no insurance if an opposition midfield get on top.

We need a contingency plan, and we have a few weeks to work something out.

It is not an excuse for failure. We've just won 11 games in a row and played a slew of top 8 sides on the way. Our defence has held up probably better than it ever has, including games against sides with multiple quality tall forwards.
Yup it certainly has, but as mentioned above, I feel this is due to our midfield being so good with their pressure.

I'm just hoping we use the opportunity over the next few weeks to really find a backup plan incase things go south mid game. Putting Finlayson down back may be an option worth pursuing given he played in defence for the Giants at one point.

Yup it certainly has, but as mentioned above, I feel this is due to our midfield being so good with their pressure.

I'm just hoping we use the opportunity over the next few weeks to really find a backup plan incase things go south mid game. Putting Finlayson down back may be an option worth pursuing given he played in defence for the Giants at one point.

Finlayson is an option to switch back if things are really going badly for us during a game, but at the moment part of why our defence is playing so well is as you say, the midfield pressure and also our scoring power.

The only thing that may get me to feel differently would be an injury or suspension to Aliir, we rely on him pretty heavily. Everyone else is playing a role and can be rotated in and out.

We are at the first point of this list being good so there is bound to be sensational play mixed with guys who are weak links. We only have a few holes to fill and you can win a Premiership with a few list fillers, no doubt.

First off, you have to hand it to the coaching that they've changed the philosophy of the team and defence. We know the moves, Jonas dropped, Burton dropped but back in, Williams in, Bergman in, Jones in, Houston taking a step, Farrell improving, Aliir a stalwart and McKenzie.

I don't know where Burgoyne will end up playing but he is waiting in the wings for a possible defensive spot and has those 1 on 1 skills. And cannot wait to see Jones get better with games.

Well, as I stated elsewhere, I have concerns for McKenzie considering Jonas and Burton being dropped on form but we don't have a readymade replacement. And the thing is, he's been pretty good. He just struggles with the athletic, fast forwards on the lead with bursts of speed.

If the club is ruthless, they will look in the offseason to trade for a a KPD. This would also ease the burden of McKenzie as he reaches the twilight of his career. The new player will have to have a sweet boot though. It would be great if he was a great 1 on 1 player and a good contested mark.

My other idea is to clone Bergman.

Last edited:
Huge risk to take in my eyes - King also mentioned that we are the worst defensive 50 for one on one wins.

Our mids are keeping the supply down - but we have no insurance if an opposition midfield get on top.

The Bulldogs dominated clearances in midfield just a fortnight ago and yet Port's defence held up. It has also held up well against St Kilda and Essendon when they lost the clearance battle.

I think you're looking a bit too much into this. Port's defence has looked night and day compared to the first 3 weeks of the season when it was a Joe the goose goal every time the ball got out the back. Those numbers I'm sure also distort how well the defence has been going during this 11 game winning streak.

As for McKenzie, he's clearly the Club's best option right now. Jonas is simply not up to it anymore, and he's never been one to take the big brutes like Hawkins anyway. Pasini is incredibly far off a game as well - looked a fish out of water on the weekend against Norwood. Wouldn't even consider Finlayson going back there given he's playing at an All-Australian standard in his current role.

The emergence of Bergman in particular as a potential hybrid KPD opens up the possibility of Aliir playing as the 3rd man up role without having a defined opponent. He could also alternate with McKenzie in this role depending on how the game is unfolding.

No key forward is really ripping it up against Port right now - and it is unrealistic to expect any KPD to completely devoid their opponent of every opportunity they get for a chance on goal.

Aliir Aliir averages 3.9 defensive 1v1 per game and wins around 69.1% of them (2.7 1v1) - meaning he loses exactly 1.2 1v1 per game

Trent McKenzie averages 2.5 defensive 1v1 per game and wins 60% of them (1.5 1v1) - meaning he loses exactly one 1v1 per game

So let me see if I understand this. On AFL360, David King wants to know how a team that averages 50.3 opposition inside 50s against is going to deal with the fact that our key defenders may be isolated by themselves for exactly 6 of them (around 12% of the total)...and lose the contest twice (around 4% of the total)?

Since the Adelaide game, we have conceded on average 74 points and scored 98 points while playing the likes of the Western Bulldogs x2, Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond and Geelong.

That being said...if we had Ratugolea in this side, the narrative would be a lot different, wouldn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're definitely short of the sort of players we want to use, but every club that wins a flag every year has these kinds of shortages and they just deal with them. Jonas is an AFL experienced backup but he's clearly slowing down and he's not the elite kicking style of player we like to use under Carr.

I'd rather we use Bergman and Burton as a key defender than someone like Pasini or another untried or position switched player.

Bergman has made all the difference IMO.

His interceptions had covered our weakness at FB..

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Certainly no solution this year.

Work on it in the off season.

Every club has weaknesses and our midfield does a brilliant job of seeing ours isn’t exposed.

This year.

We can make our midfield stronger with a couple of extra players to share the load and that’s Narkle and Wolverine. Wolverines concussion stuffed us up. He is a gun and will be great for us.

Next year.

Add McKay to the list.

Completely disregard what he's doing at North currently. North has no midfield. No forward defensive structure that holds up. Ben has absolutely no hope of holding back the tide and the end result is you don't look great.
All McKay has to do this year is stay sound.

Tom McCullum is coming along.

Longer term see what our draft hand looks like.

Tom Clurey will raise from the dead injury list and save us all.

Its definitely the issue that gives me the most concern. Although his form has mostly proven the contrary, I'm always concerned by Mckenzie, especially against teams with 2 gun key forwards. Also it seems so are the coaches as Bergman was given the Cameron matchup against the Cats. Not to mention Burton has at times had bags kicked on him by those mid sized forwards.

I guess this year we have negated it by applying immense pressure up the ground, which has meant the delivery into our D50 has often been slow or under pressure. ALso Bergman as an intercept DEF plays a crucial role in negating attacks.

Whilst a weakness if we keep Allir and Bergman fit, and dont allow our pressure to drop off then its not insurmountable.

I'd still like to see Pasini get a game or two this year. The SANFL is not much better for evaluating KPD's then it is for seeing how good KPF's are. I'd give him a go against Carlton and GC. If McKenzie or Aliir goes down I'd like another option available than the corpse of Tom Jonas or taking Clurey away from filming 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid - all grown up (and still timid)'.

There's plenty of occasions where McKenzie has excellent body work in 1 v 1 contests, which is actually the reason why he's able to compete with much taller opponents and often beat them. Classic David King with his selective editing. You could cut up a lowlights tape of any defender in the competition and find moments where they got easily outbodied or left well in the wake of a leading opponent. It's called being a defender. Sit behind the goals at a game and see how little it takes for a defender to be made to look second rate.

I'd still like to see Pasini get a game or two this year. The SANFL is not much better for evaluating KPD's then it is for seeing how good KPF's are. I'd give him a go against Carlton and GC. If McKenzie or Aliir goes down I'd like another option available than the corpse of Tom Jonas or taking Clurey away from filming 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid - all grown up (and still timid)'.
watched Pasini over the last couple of games, reckon he has gone backwards. feels like he is a long way off getting a game.

Mccallum looked okay, foot skills a bit iffy but looked solid.

There's plenty of occasions where McKenzie has excellent body work in 1 v 1 contests, which is actually the reason why he's able to compete with much taller opponents and often beat them. Classic David King with his selective editing. You could cut up a lowlights tape of any defender in the competition and find moments where they got easily outbodied or left well in the wake of a leading opponent. It's called being a defender. Sit behind the goals at a game and see how little it takes for a defender to be made to look second rate.
i reckon mckenzie is one of the main reasons we are on this massive run.

hes seriously underrated imo, not by the club, but outsiders.

You also probably need to have stats on how often we give up one on ones in our backlineline.
If we arent giving up many one on ones, then its less of an issue than if we are one of the sides giving up the most one on ones.

You also probably need to have stats on how often we give up one on ones in our backlineline.
If we arent giving up many one on ones, then its less of an issue than if we are one of the sides giving up the most one on ones.

Also, what does 'one on one' mean? We probably give up more 'one on one' contests than any other team with heaps of space and unpressured kicks inside 50 from teams getting out the back of our press. They're probably considered in the same category as high pressure long bombs inside 50 to a 'one on one' contest that is about 3 metres from 10 other players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back