Our Key Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

There's plenty of occasions where McKenzie has excellent body work in 1 v 1 contests, which is actually the reason why he's able to compete with much taller opponents and often beat them. Classic David King with his selective editing.
I agree, the issue was never a body on body contest though, he totally lost touch on his opponent who got away and McKenzie didn't even try chase.

Like I said, I'm a huge fan of his, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's carrying an injury.

It's not panic stations, I'm just saying that we need a plan B.

Been an issue for basically a decade. Only hope is our midfield keeps killing it and our key defenders don’t get exposed one on one to often.

Only difference between now and previous years is we actually now have the midfield cattle to control the game and take the game on with faster ball movement.

During the Hinkley era, we have struggled to develop elite key forwards, key backmen and rucks, especially from the get go.

I think we should be looking for the more typical, prototype full back - good 1 on 1, strong, can stay on the lead, good contested mark. A bonus would be good intercepting mark, I would like that one a lot. I think that trait would strengthen our backline even more. A good to very good kick. The full back doesn't have to be an elite kick but it would be nice. They are usually hard to find.

Who can we get?

Ben McKay - free agent
Esava Ratugolea - tough to get

Brennan Cox - Mitch Georgiades trade
Tom Barrass - Mitch Georgiades trade

Charlie Ballard - come home
Lewis Young - come home, problems at the Blues
Sam de Koning - tough to get, would also solve ruck issues a bit

Hope the List Management guys have been in the ear of a few guys.
It wouldn't surprise me if we go with Ben McKay.
I would really love Brennan Cox.
Do we have someone already earmarked at the club?

King picked the only weakness we have. However our game plan is to cover that weakness. So either a team destroys our game plan or we’re okay. If they destroy it we’re stuffed anyway.

The good news is, our midfield is that strong now that every opposition goal allows us to reset and counter. Hence why we haven’t been out of games. We also have our in game rest period where we junk it around earlier to avoid the Crows type over run in round 3

Completely forgot about Clurey when watching the Magpies the past 4-5 games. I must have missed it, where is he?

During the Hinkley era, we have struggled to develop elite key forwards, key backmen and rucks, especially from the get go.

I think we should be looking for the more typical, prototype full back - good 1 on 1, strong, can stay on the lead, good contested mark. A bonus would be good intercepting mark, I would like that one a lot. I think that trait would strengthen our backline even more. A good to very good kick. The full back doesn't have to be an elite kick but it would be nice. They are usually hard to find.

Who can we get?

Ben McKay - free agent

I wonder whether we might try again for Petty?

He obviously signed a decent extension with Melbourne but he hasn't been considered a first choice KPD there.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Completely forgot about Clurey when watching the Magpies the past 4-5 games. I must have missed it, where is he?
Out with a back injury for 1-2 months.

Whilst Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and Lycett are all fit and firing, I would have Ollie Lord play at CHB in the Magpies. I want him to be the long term replacement for Dixon, but train him up as insurance for finals in case we need to find a tall defender. We know he is good enough to be an AFL player. Better playing AFL finals at CHB than sitting in the stands, if one or both of Aliir and McKenzie go down.

King picked the only weakness we have. However our game plan is to cover that weakness. So either a team destroys our game plan or we’re okay. If they destroy it we’re stuffed anyway.

The good news is, our midfield is that strong now that every opposition goal allows us to reset and counter. Hence why we haven’t been out of games. We also have our in game rest period where we junk it around earlier to avoid the Crows type over run in round 3
Disclaimer; I didn't see myself saying this 10 weeks ago. I'd like others thoughts on this.

The way I am seeing it - the big out for us vs. Geelong was Lachie Jones who, since coming back into the side and assuming Tom Jonas' role, had been absolutely outstanding. I feel as though Aliir no longer plays the intercept role, said role now being filled by McKenzie (no doubt speed of ball movement the focus there with his penetrating kick). Farrell, Houston and Burton push high up as part of the zone defence, with Houston almost playing the traditional wingman role, given how high he gets & how many stoppages he contests.

Referencing the Geelong game - because we didn't want to give up the contested battle, the aforementioned flankers were able to continue their roles in spite of Geelong's scoreboard dominance in the 1st - Ken backing in the mids to fix their cleanliness and win the midfield battle. McKenzie was forced to a direct matchup, rather than playing the intercept role. He is not a 1:1 defender at all, as King has pointed out on 360, losing some 50% of his 1:1 contests, so it's no surprise Rohan took him to the cleaners early. Rohan's influence wasn't a factor once we slowed down Geelong's transition and got numbers back into defence.

Had Jones had the matchup on Rohan, I reckon that first quarter would have looked very different. Not only is Jones proving to be exceptionally strong in 1:1 contests, he possesses lightening pace for a bigger bodied defender, and a penetrating kick. He would have given Rohan the physical attention that McKenzie couldn't.

The torch got put on McKenzie this week, and rightfully so, however when Jones comes back into the side- the one perceived area of weakness for Port Adelaide, I believe, will be resolved.

King picked the only weakness we have.
That's his job though - and he rightfully pointed out a glaring issue. As I said, I love McKenzie, but the clips were pretty damning in the way he lost the contest. Just seems down on energy/effort/something. Hopefully the break does him well.

I think the coaching staff have been trying the tactic of pushing our forwards down back during crucial moments this year.
So if Aliir or McKenzie were to get injured prior to game(s) they could move Finlayson or Dixon down back and bring Lord into the team as the forward to help Marshall.
Dixon and Finlayson played down back this year during the close wins we had in the last quarters. Wasn't for the whole quarter but in crucial moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a challenge for this year no doubt.

However, if a team wins the midfield battle and breaks down a team’s midfield defence, not many defenders can stop that. If a forward gets on a quick lead, not many defenders can stop that. If Hawkins gets you one on one, it’s hard for defenders to stop that. If the ball hits the deck, it’s hard for a key defender, who can beat King in the air and one on one, to beat him for the ground ball. Reality is it’s a key forwards game and this game, particularly for us, will be won and lost up the ground.

We don’t have any key backs that can come in. We need to hope Clurey and Pasini have cracking finishes and are ready and that Jonas finds a yard of pace and some extra agility. But the likely outcome is that Jones, Bergs, Burton, McKenzie and Alir will have to play out of their skin and that Dixon, Todd, Lycett and Jezza push back hard into defence and provide the extra height as required.

On McKenzie, he is a serviceable second tall defender and he fits our aggressive game plan really well. However, we are playing him as a first key defender, which he is ok at if he has help. He is also carrying an injury, the break will hopefully freshen him up.

Who can we get?

Ben McKay - free agent

Tom Barass would be a good get

Who can we get?

Ben McKay - free agent

Brennan Cox would be number 1 choice, would take a lot more than Mitch Georgiades to get him, a lot more.

Disclaimer; I didn't see myself saying this 10 weeks ago. I'd like others thoughts on this.

The way I am seeing it - the big out for us vs. Geelong was Lachie Jones who, since coming back into the side and assuming Tom Jonas' role, had been absolutely outstanding. I feel as though Aliir no longer plays the intercept role, said role now being filled by McKenzie (no doubt speed of ball movement the focus there with his penetrating kick). Farrell, Houston and Burton push high up as part of the zone defence, with Houston almost playing the traditional wingman role, given how high he gets & how many stoppages he contests.

Referencing the Geelong game - because we didn't want to give up the contested battle, the aforementioned flankers were able to continue their roles in spite of Geelong's scoreboard dominance in the 1st - Ken backing in the mids to fix their cleanliness and win the midfield battle. McKenzie was forced to a direct matchup, rather than playing the intercept role. He is not a 1:1 defender at all, as King has pointed out on 360, losing some 50% of his 1:1 contests, so it's no surprise Rohan took him to the cleaners early. Rohan's influence wasn't a factor once we slowed down Geelong's transition and got numbers back into defence.

Had Jones had the matchup on Rohan, I reckon that first quarter would have looked very different. Not only is Jones proving to be exceptionally strong in 1:1 contests, he possesses lightening pace for a bigger bodied defender, and a penetrating kick. He would have given Rohan the physical attention that McKenzie couldn't.

The torch got put on McKenzie this week, and rightfully so, however when Jones comes back into the side- the one perceived area of weakness for Port Adelaide, I believe, will be resolved.
I agree with pretty much all of this but would like to add that just about all of the back 6 are interceptors now.
Why have one Mad Max when you can have 6?

Guys who can win 1 on 1 aerial contests but also go 3rd up and mark or kill a contest.
I find great joy when a skilful player like Houston runs back and goes 3rd up to kill a contest.
When back, Lachie Jones will add that dimension again.
Jones and Bergman should be really fun to watch in the backline.

The other element not mentioned about McKenzie is that he didn't take the KPF during the Geelong match.
Bergman got Cameron and really if you play KPD, you should get the KPF and although the matchup was correct, it shows that Bergman is ascending to that role and McKenzie is moving down the order.

A big KPD will help with overall marking around the ground as well and I think it will help Aliir out as well.

Lachie Jones has more than adequately covered for the loss of form of Jonas, which to be brutally honest was already half way to China via the underground method any way, and the defence as a whole has looked so much more efficient without TJ in it, even with the recent unavailability of Jones.

McKenzie did have a Barry Crocker against geebung but I suspect he has enough brownie points in the bank to hold his spot for at least this week's game.

The club definitely has to target a tall lock down defender who can make the full back position his own in this season's trade period though, we have had an obvious deficiency there since Wakelin retired.

I'm not writing off Pasini just yet as most players tend to struggle the year after a knee recon, his athleticism still appears to be ok, it's his decision making that has headed around the `S' bend to Bolivar in his games for the Maggies this year, it may just be a confidence thing but he will need to sort it out to be any chance of making the grade at the higher level.

I haven’t minded the look of Marshall or McCallum at SANFL level, understanding that both are at least 2-3 years away from threatening to make the AFL side. Pasini has really struggled in his first few months post ACL return.

I think we need one big ready-made tall defender to work alongside of Aliir for the next 3-4 years. I’d marginally favour Ratogulea over McKay as a future performer, just given the fact he seems a bit more agile, but McKay won’t cost us anything other than salary space so he perhaps he gets the nod overall.

We also need a ruckman who’s better than Teakle, and a quick, evasive small forward to replace the player Fantasia was supposed to be.

I haven’t minded the look of Marshall or McCallum at SANFL level, understanding that both are at least 2-3 years away from threatening to make the AFL side. Pasini has really struggled in his first few months post ACL return.
I was pleasantly surprised by Marshall's game against Norwood. Not sure about McCallum at this stage.

I was pleasantly surprised by Marshall's game against Norwood. Not sure about McCallum at this stage.
Hes a big boy. Wouldn't surprise me to see him pushing next year after a big pre season. KPF can get away with being a bit lankier if they have the reach.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him take a few years either.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back