A strategy for lifting standards

Remove this Banner Ad

Econopower

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m not an AFL coach. But I do have a lot of experience managing performance within major international financial institutions. So I’ve been thinking about what I would do to raise standards amongst the playing group.

Setting aside coaching/game plan issues for now, there are two aspects of performance on game day under the control of the players themselves - effort and execution.

As we all know, both can fluctuate considerably from game to game and even quarter to quarter. Some variation in skill execution is natural, particularly over short game samples, but variation in effort and intensity is not or should not.

Moreover, there seems to be little connection between fluctuations in effort and execution and team selection, adjusted for what is reasonable to expect for each player.

In any given season there tends to be the same core group rotating between the firsts and seconds, based primarily on where they stand on the depth chart and the state of injuries.

Instead I would like to see players higher up the depth/quality chart dropped more often when they don’t meet their KPIs in a game/series of games.

In this scenario each player would have highly personalised KPIs depending on their experience, role, capabilities, dependence on the performance of other players, etc. As a result, performance would be judged relative to baseline expectations.

Being prepared to drop senior players for not meeting their personal benchmarks would make the team weaker for some matches. But it would also set very clear expectations that there are consequences for underperformance, regardless of a player’s standing at the club.

And if implemented properly and fairly, taking account of team balance, luck and unavoidable fluctuations, in practice the best players might not be dropped often because they would understand the consequences of not meeting expectations.

I don’t of course expect anything like this to be implemented. Perhaps there is also a fatal floor in my thinking. And no doubt there are other ways to motivate players.

But I hate gold passes in any team sport. They are cancerous for performance. And it is unfair and unreasonable to effectively create lower expectations for a team’s most talented and experienced players just because it is easier to achieve the standard pass mark.

Certainly the type of relentless effort Collingwood’s players are putting in each week, or St Kilda’s right now, should be what we see and expect of Port too.

Our list has holes but not so many as to justify the last two games. And while our coach is rubbish and needs to go, the playing group needs to accept more responsibility as well.

I’m not an AFL coach. But I do have a lot of experience managing performance within major international financial institutions. So I’ve been thinking about what I would do to raise standards amongst the playing group.

Setting aside coaching/game plan issues for now, there are two aspects of performance on game day under the control of the players themselves - effort and execution.

As we all know, both can fluctuate considerably from game to game and even quarter to quarter. Some variation in skill execution is natural, particularly over short game samples, but variation in effort and intensity is not or should not.

Moreover, there seems to be little connection between fluctuations in effort and execution and team selection, adjusted for what is reasonable to expect for each player.

In any given season there tends to be the same core group rotating between the firsts and seconds, based primarily on where they stand on the depth chart and the state of injuries.

Instead I would like to see players higher up the depth/quality chart dropped more often when they don’t meet their KPIs in a game/series of games.

In this scenario each player would have highly personalised KPIs depending on their experience, role, capabilities, dependence on the performance of other players, etc. As a result, performance would be judged relative to baseline expectations.

Being prepared to drop senior players for not meeting their personal benchmarks would make the team weaker for some matches. But it would also set very clear expectations that there are consequences for underperformance, regardless of a player’s standing at the club.

And if implemented properly and fairly, taking account of team balance, luck and unavoidable fluctuations, in practice the best players might not be dropped often because they would understand the consequences of not meeting expectations.

I don’t of course expect anything like this to be implemented. Perhaps there is also a fatal floor in my thinking. And no doubt there are other ways to motivate players.

But I hate gold passes in any team sport. They are cancerous for performance. And it is unfair and unreasonable to effectively create lower expectations for a team’s most talented and experienced players just because it is easier to achieve the standard pass mark.

Certainly the type of relentless effort Collingwood’s players are putting in each week, or St Kilda’s right now, should be what we see and expect of Port too.

Our list has holes but not so many as to justify the last two games. And while our coach is rubbish and needs to go, the playing group needs to accept more responsibility as well.
#sackhinkley

What you say is true and possibly one of the reasons why the more senior players blow smoke up his ass.

We know that ken has always has his favs and he would never sacrifice the short term for the long term.

Certainly wouldn't help that ken and some of the players hold shared social and financial interests through being in a dog racing / gambling syndicate together. Bush league tier s**t

I very much looking forward to a new coach lifting these standards, stop being mates with players and start holding them to account.

Perhaps consider removing the control freak with the messiah complex at the head of the snake, whose claim to fame is pandering to housewives without Netflix subs of a morning.

You’d think he was Steve Jobs or Richard Branson, the way he rules unchallenged from his ivory tower.

Drop one or two high level players without impunity.
Let’s say Jonas and Wines. Captain and Vice Captain.
Let it be known it’s due to not meeting match standards.
Give acting Captain/Vice roles to SPP/Drew/Dixon.
Only play Boak if he’s 100% fit. No more games just to pad his record.
Only play Fantasia if we have no choice and delist at seasons end. Make the call now. Same for Lycett and Clury.
Watch everyone else click into place.
Repeat as needed.

Caveat.
This is about setting new standards and requires this season to be written off, or at least the expectations for the season need to be shelved.

You make a lot of sense here. I think the responsibility lies both on the coaches and players equally. At the same time, the fish rots from the head, so if you've got a coaching group who are content with close enough being good enough, that is going to trickle down and embed itself in the players' psyche. So I would suggest we need to be mindful of who is running the footy department (Ken). Until he goes, all of your suggestions are merely a fanciful hypothetical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a lot of sense here. I think the responsibility lies both on the coaches and players equally. At the same time, the fish rots from the head, so if you've got a coaching group who are content with close enough being good enough, that is going to trickle down and embed itself in the players' psyche. So I would suggest we need to be mindful of who is running the footy department (Ken). Until he goes, all of your suggestions are merely a fanciful hypothetical.
Oh, they are absolutely fanciful. But this tendency to only penalise the weakest players in a squad is common across most coaches and codes.

One of the few to buck the trend is Pep Guardiola who has regularly dropped his best players (for non rotational reasons) when not meeting expectations. I think it is an under appreciated aspect of why Man City are so consistently good - well that and the budget!!

The problem is that all of this needs a culture of accountability at every level, which is the exact opposite of what Port has.

Going from dropping Clurey and Bonner to dropping Butters and JHF doesnt actually achieve much.

The senior coach has floated through 11 seasons with zero success and didnt even get reviewed at the end of last year. We have a line coach who has been there 7 years with mostly underperformance.

You have a captain and vice captain who probably wouldnt make it on to the field at any other club, and another vice captain playing well below his potential. Our captain is on record saying he lost the fire in the belly.

Its why people will never care or feel accountable. Because nobody above them is. Leadership is setting the example.

I’m confused, this thread isn’t mentioning the important stuff like being connected, making the community proud, stability, being a good human and living your best life….

Surely we’ll just take our learnings from this week and make changes for next week’s match…..

I miss the old days where the goal was to win as many games as possible by as much as possible.
Coincidentally that seemed to make the community proud and all that other stuff.

No way will the club embrace the stuff mention in the OP. Players would probably go on strike or something.
Probably the coaches as well….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The problem is that all of this needs a culture of accountability at every level, which is the exact opposite of what Port has.

Going from dropping Clurey and Bonner to dropping Butters and JHF doesnt actually achieve much.

The senior coach has floated through 11 seasons with zero success and didnt even get reviewed at the end of last year. We have a line coach who has been there 7 years with mostly underperformance.

You have a captain and vice captain who probably wouldnt make it on to the field at any other club, and another vice captain playing well below his potential. Our captain is on record saying he lost the fire in the belly.

Its why people will never care or feel accountable. Because nobody above them is. Leadership is setting the example.
I agree - would have been a much longer post to run through the complete overhaul of the club that is needed.

Port is unfortunately representative of a lot of sporting clubs in the way it is effectively the plaything of unaccountable amateurs.

And then the nature of the AFL’s control makes supporter/member led reform impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back