Random de Grammar FRED

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2012
Sector 7g
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bendigo Bank Cats
After a groundswell of support from such luminaries as VC and Senator G I thought I'd get out of my system something that's been bugging me for a while. And though not professing to be an English professor, and realising that posting on an iPhone that's been dropped more times than David Hille and Shane Tuck while walking home after a couple has typo written all over it, maybe we can do with somewhere to vent, exchange ideas, educate, or just take the piss.

One that always bugs me is 'chomping at the bit'. Horses don't eat their equipment. It's champing. Champ.

And for our friends on the Norf board who stumble on this while checking if Hmac will be coming our way, it's Josh CADDY , not CATTY, although I can see why you might confuse the too. As well.

They're, their and there are the words from memory that I find people are unable to differentiate on.

Not that it means much. I thought I'd contribute to a thread where the OP actually gave me a laugh.:thumbsu:

I'll admit that I actually still struggle with there and their. Getting confused with they're though is screwed.
There is used as a word for a location.

Their is used to describe a person.

There is used as a word for a location.

Their is used to describe a person.
Notice a lot on the forums mess up with they're too and tend to use either of the previous two. Most commonly mistook for their as both refer to a person.

Actually I do it too but mostly because punctuation is a pain on my phone :)

The one that annoys me is losing, loosing, loose, lose, loss.
postmanpat.png

Okay, here's two contributions from me:
  • could of intead of could've, clearly some people have no idea it's a contraction of could have
  • versing (e.g. "Who is Geelong versing this week?"). This seems to be very popular amongst teens, obviously comes from people turning versus, which is a preposition (from Latin meaning against), into a verb. But there is no such word as versing!
/rant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one that gives me the absolute sh*** is 'to' and 'too'. I should probably get a life!
Too has two (2) uses. First, as a synonym for "also":
Can I go too?
He went to France too
Secondly, too means excessively when it precedes an adjective or adverb.
I'm too tired
He's walking too quickly
I ate too much

To also has two (2) functions. First, as a preposition, in which case it always precedes a noun.
I'm going to the store
He went to Italy
This belongs to David
Secondly, to indicates an infinitive when it precedes a verb.
I need to study
We want to help
He's going to eat
Ahhh I feel better already!

Another that gets me is the use of "of" instead of the correct have.
"I should of...." instead of "I should have...."

The one that gives me the absolute sh*** is 'to' and 'too'. I should probably get a life!
Too has two (2) uses. First, as a synonym for "also":
Can I go too?
He went to France too
Secondly, too means excessively when it precedes an adjective or adverb.
I'm too tired
He's walking too quickly
I ate too much

To also has two (2) functions. First, as a preposition, in which case it always precedes a noun.
I'm going to the store
He went to Italy
This belongs to David
Secondly, to indicates an infinitive when it precedes a verb.
I need to study
We want to help
He's going to eat
Ahhh I feel better already!

Crikey :eek: I feel smarter already :p

Possessive pronouns seem to be used a lot in place of contractions (words which are abbreviated from two words to one with an apostrophe to define the merger).

Some examples are:

"I have a fat cat and his always hungry."
"I know that your an idiot."
"I have a couple of donkeys and their/there always cranky."

But the kicker for me is this; "Strangled Cat makes less grammatical errors then most of you."

I spose a three like this is fare enough

and I blame the autO correct and the mack truck i youse

Nice thread. My favourite is the use of "use" instead you "you" or "yours." Eg "Im a pie fan and I rekon use guys are rubbish."

You are unable to sound any more bogan when using this term.

P.S. I proof read this three times to ensure no spelling errors etc. Nothing worse than making a mistake when hanging it on others who do!

Would love to know when it was decided that 'biased' was no longer a word on bigfooty. Maybe two years ago people suddenly started saying 'just admit you're bias' or 'lol you're not bias or anything'. Biased.

Lordy, this thread is making my blood boil.

"Hawkins is better then Cloke" :mad:

"Then" and "than": THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

"I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on". Simple sentence right? Completely makes sense, absolutely logical etc etc etc. Yeah?

Watch this space, you fools.

"I'd rather be pissed off then pissed on". Notice anything different? Notice how the meaning of the sentence has completely changed?

It's magic!

Next person to make this mistake, I will track down your letterbox and send you a close up of my bloodshot, twitching eyeball. That is how mad it makes me!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back