Society/Culture Deepfakes - Threat to democracy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
So I came across this video yesterday - It's pretty funny and obviously fake, so we can have a laugh about it

but what I took from it in bigger picture terms is kinda scary - I can't imagine the technology is that far away from the mouths moving perfectly and I'm sure artificial voice matching is around too - It's already bad enough with photoshop images getting hard to pick, what happens when entire videos/monologues can be entirely doctored?

How are we to trust anything we see or hear moving into the future?

I don't think it's as big a deal as it's made out to be. We went through a similar change with the rise of digital photos - what was once hard to fake became easy. In the short term a lot of people were fooled by one shoop or another, but in the longer run it didn't result in a crisis of reality - for the most part, it just made people a lot more careful about accepting photos at face value.

Similar will happen with video. It will require a fairly big mindset shift - we have all grown up taking the accuracy of video footage for granted - but as long as people are abreast of how the media landscape is changing then their skepticism will adjust appropriately.

That is probably not a bad thing. I often think we trust video footage more than we should, just because it 'feels real'.

The big issue we have now is simply taking things out of context, promoting them on official channels.

By the time someone shows the actual context, the damage is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back