Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
After going down 4-1 in Milan, no one gave them much of a show.

Currently, they are up 3-0 in the second leg at half time, against one of the tightest defences in Europe, and on this scoreline would go through.

Could we see three shocks in as many ties? Chelsea with two goals after going one down, Monaco with three after going one down, and now this.

The semis may not seem the real thing with no Real or Milan.

OH MY GOD!! What a result!! The unloseable comp, GONE!!

Perhaps its the richmond in me, but sack the coach now!!

Always next year, but geez, how does a team get over a result like that. Unbelieve-it!! What can I say, I'm still flabbergasted!!

CL Report: Milan Shellshocked

Pandiani began the rout (AFP)
04/07/2004. Milan went out of the Champions League in astonishing fashion after a 4-0 defeat to Deportivo La Coruna.

Trailing 4-1 from the first-leg, no one gave the Galicians a prayer of qualifying for the next stage.

Milan almost took the lead early on as Jon Dahl Tomasson saw a close-range shot pushed away by Molina.

Deportivo went ahead shortly afterwards when Walter Pandiani turned and shot left footed past Dida from the edge of the box.

Victor's deflected shot then finished up just past the post as Depor went looking for a second.

At the other end Kaka tries to take the ball around Molina, but the Depor keeper got a touch and the ball went to safety.

Dida dived to save Valeron's goal-bound shot after collecting the ball from Victor, while Manuel Pablo's cross was deflected off Victor forcing the Brazilian to save down low.

Deportivo made it 2-0 on 35 minutes as Valeron headed in Luque's left-wing cross. Questions must be asked of Dida who made no attempt to catch the cross.

Comical Milan defending just before half-time as Luque ran on to a long ball, avoided half-hearted challenges from Nesta and Cafu, before firing high into the net.

Milan reacted as Tomasson dragged his shot wide after running on to a ball from the midfield, but the Rossoneri must have been in a state of shock by this point.

Into the second-half, and Victor blasted a shot over after a mistake in the Milan defence. He was assisted by the superb Valeron.

Deportivo took a 4-0 lead on the night when Gattuso failed to control a deep cross, and Fran's shot was deflected past Dida by his fellow countryman Cafu.

Rui Costa was brought on at the expense of Pancaro, and the former Fiorentina playmaker saw his curled effort tipped away by Molina. The Depor keeper then saved another deflected shot from the Portuguese.

Milan had a golden chance to take the match into extra time when the ball fell to Inzaghi in the box, but with just Molina to beat, he shot straight at the keeper.

So Depor progress 5-4 on aggregate in what is surely the greatest Champions League upset in history.

Gees, Deportivo looked so confident out on the pitch today. Everything the team did, it was done with ease. AC Milan looked only a shadow of the side that came to play two weeks ago where the goals came in a 15 minute burst.

What were the odds? Milan, Madrid and Arsenal all losing? I can't wait to see the world standings now. :D

AS Monaco V Chelsea is on the Tuesday
Deportivo V Giant Killers is on the Wednesday

I'm tipping a Chelsea/Porto final.

R:E

So going on that it looks like Chelsea are away on the first leg, im happy with that, but i guess it doesn't really matter as we were at home for the first leg against Arsenal.

Final Blues V Porto

A Monaco v Depor rematch would be interesting, however I think Chelsea's back four should be able to handle Moro and friends.

I wonder how Makaay must be feeling over in Germany, while I'm at it Elber also managed to go further in the CL with Lyon than he would of with those mighty huns. :D

Originally posted by Shinboners
Where's DEVO?

I can't imagine just how happy he'd be right now.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU LITTLE FU**IN BEAUTY

It our year... It has to be our year.

Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor Go Depor

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I hid my excitement. Do not want to sound/look like an idiot :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the mighty have fallen, once we were the darlings of Spanish football, winning La Liga in 1999/2000 and two Copa del Rey's and playing some of the most attractive football in all of Europe, now we are struggling in the third tier. These two video's give a good idea of what went wrong.

But things are starting to look up, on field at least, as we approach the halfway mark of the Primera RFEF Group 1 season, Deportivo defeated Valladolid Promesas (who I believe are Real Vallodolid's B Team) this morning to open up a small 4pts break at the top of the league.

For the third year in a row Deportivo La Coruna's promotion ambitions fell short in the playoffs, they will remain in the third tier of Spanish football for a fourth season. :(

The once great underdog of Spanish football is a shadow of the club they were 20 years ago and sadly may never return to the topflight, in my life time at least. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back