List Mgmt. Depth Chart

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that the Round 1 side has been named and we have a best 22 in the selectors eyes, I thought it would be an idea to look at who's out of the side to judge the strength of our depth from the players available.

In 2016 part of our problem was a lack of pressure on the best 22 for places which I believe allowed a degree of complacency to settle in so the quality of the players on this list is important in ensuring we don't have a repeat of that problem on 2017

So here goes :

Round 1 Depth :

Tall Defenders

1) Barrass* - arguably should be in the 22 already and Mackenzie should be feeling sexuals hot breath on the back of his neck
2) Schofield* - misses out due to a reversion to the 2 tall strategy that worked in 2015. May yet be a late in and will be first back in if we go back to 3 talls as he offers more as a 3rd tall than Barrass or Mackenzie
3) Gorter - third tall option only if injury strikes 2 or more of our main quartet.

Small/Medium Defenders

1) Butler* - expect it's line ball between him and Nelson but the younger Nelson gets the nod with an eye to the future. His form has been solid so it won't take much of a drop in form from one of the 22 for simmo to go back to a faithful servant
2) Watson - has been electric for EP and if he can polish up his disposal may well knock down the door for selection through weight of performance. Offers something unique but status as a cat B rookie may be problematic
3) Rotham - Slight build counts against him but has looked composed for EP so far
4) Brophy - playing reserves for EP so if we get down this far we're in trouble

Tall Forwards

1) McInness - Depth here is a worry and if we need a tall forward it's more likely we shuffle our rucks/KPDs before big Fraser is promoted off the rookie list
2) Lamb - not a true KPF as he's a 3rd tall at best. Playing poorly and might be in front of Mcinness but at least Fraser can sort of play in the ruck

Small/Medium Forwards

1) Venables - Rioli would be here but he's injured. Ultimately DV is a mid but if he gets a game this year it'll be as a half forward with an occasional rotation in the midfield. Still playing in reserves to build up his match conditioning. As with our KPFs it's more likely players are reshuffled from elsewhere before Venables gets a game at this stage
2) Bayok - Cat B rookie playing ressies and a long way from playing in the wings. We're cooked if he gets a game in the seniors this year

Rucks

1) Giles* - the only fit pure ruck on our list. Needs to be better than his effort against Peel to ensure he gets a game should the undersized Vartrie not work out as hoped
2) There is no (2) which is a massive concern :(

Its the Midfield Stupid

1) Sheed* - would be in the side had it not been for a slow healing knock to the calf from JLT3. Assuming he plays for EP on Sunday and gets through unscathed he'll be replacing the worst performed mid from the NM game I expect
2) Duggan* - has come on a bit slower due to a hamstring strain that's been managed through the preseason. Needs to build some form and consistency with EP before he can genuinely be considered for a promotion
3) Partington - has put together a solid body of work through the preseason and arguably has his nose in front of Duggan if someone had to be brought into the 22 right now
4) Mutimer - is doing some solid work at EP but is a ways off being genuinely considered for the senior side. Needs to keep pushing and improving
5) Karpany - struggling for impact as he's not getting enough of the footy right now which puts him behind the moot
6) Snadden - may well be playing reserves for EP this weekend so he's a long way back

Unavailable

1) Cole - has a quad strain and is 1-2 weeks away. Likely to slot in as second small/medium defender behind butler when he returns.
2) Allen - still 3-4 weeks away with a recurrent hamstring. Adds depth as a 3rd tall up forward but will still be a fair way off after he gets his body right
3) Rioli - still hasn't returned to running after having his hamstring operated on. Will be first in line as a small forward if he can pick up where he left off prior to his hamstring injury
4) Waterman - in a moonboot with no real timeframe for a return other than a generic 8-10 weeks. Long way off
5) Tunbridge - recovering from a knee reconstruction and will hopefully be back mid season
6) Lycett - recovered from a knee then dislocated his shoulder requiring another operation. Mid season maybe
7) Naitanui - slowly recovering and every possibility it'll be 2018 before we see him again

* These players (there's 6 of them) are all borderline best 22 and as such are the ones we most want to be performing to exert maximum pressure on the current 22

Surely last year for Karpany, Murtimer, Snadden, Tunbridge this season. Need to be replaced with fresh talent.

We should have taken Darcy Cameron too. Would have solved a few immediate and long term problems.

Surely last year for Karpany, Murtimer, Snadden, Tunbridge this season. Need to be replaced with fresh talent.

We should have taken Darcy Cameron too. Would have solved a few immediate and long term problems.

Would give Mutiner one more season, Snadden may be a late developer also so I expect he may get delisted then have a few solid years in the seconds and potentially pick up a rookie spot elsewhere

Looking at the depth chart like that, it's noticeable how young and inexperienced the depth really is.

Gold coast, GWS, being relatively competitive and some poor drafting (in that order) = our depth.

A couple of local boys on Freo's list would have added depth nicely if exchanged for our equivalent pick.

Great analysis as usual Keys

KPF depth scares me.

At least with the rucks we have Lycett & Nic Nat on the list and hopefully due back at some point, but we have f**k all when it comes to key forwards.

How many players do you have eligible for the LTI list? I know Petrie has been upgraded, but with so many long term injuries has there been any others upgraded? I see a spot in the best 22 for Watson if he continues his progression at the current rate.

How many players do you have eligible for the LTI list? I know Petrie has been upgraded, but with so many long term injuries has there been any others upgraded? I see a spot in the best 22 for Watson if he continues his progression at the current rate.
We've got Lycett and Nic Nat on the LTI and have only upgraded Petrie

KPF depth does look thin but i think keys is right that we could reshuffle our best 22. Petrie, Vardy, Gov and sexual could all be played as KPF.

Just have to bring in one of Giles, Barrass or Scofield and shuffle some deck chairs. Gov at CHF would be amaze.

Naitanui and Lycett have both been put on the LTI list and with a senior list of 39 we always had one spot available for a rookie list upgrade regardless of any LTI players

With Petrie upgraded we are still in a position to promote two players off the rookie list if we want to

Watson is definitely a chance to be promoted if he keeps turning in efforts like he did against Peel. Tidy up his disposal a bit and he'd almost be a certainty

None of the other rookies - McInnes, Gorter, tunbridge (inj.), Brophy and Bayok - are anywhere near promotion unless we have a catastrophic injury problem

The KPF depth doesn't look very sexy.

As some have mentioned fortunately we do have some flexibility with our talls, worst case Gov goes fwd Schoey/Barrass comes in and worst worst case Barrass goes Fwd. No dramas.

We do seem to have a gap between our first/second years and say Butler. We dont seem to have those 23 or 24 year old 50 gamers knocking on the door.

The depth really isnt that bad. There are 8 names not playing - including injuries who on another day could be considered best 22. And then young kids youd love to see have an opportunity in watson venables and rioli. Id say we have solid depth

We do seem to have a gap between our first/second years and say Butler. We dont seem to have those 23 or 24 year old 50 gamers knocking on the door.

That's the ghosts of the 2011 and 2012 drafts - we only have Mcinness, Tunbridge and Hutchings left on our list from those two drafts that's in part due to the impact of GWS coming in and our moderate success on field in those years

* We also traded in Wellingham with our 2012 first round pick and effectively traded Koby Stevens for Cripps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensational analysis Keys. Love your work. At first glance KPF are a worry. We need to definitely recruit another forward. How tall is Mitch McGovern? Could he spot in there? Barrass and McGovern could swing forward but are more a full in, not a full time forward.

Sensational analysis Keys. Love your work. At first glance KPF are a worry. We need to definitely recruit another forward. How tall is Mitch McGovern? Could he spot in there? Barrass and McGovern could swing forward but are more a full in, not a full time forward.
Shorter than his brother.

That's the ghosts of the 2011 and 2012 drafts - we only have Mcinness, Tunbridge and Hutchings left on our list from those two drafts that's in part due to the impact of GWS coming in and our moderate success on field in those years

* We also traded in Wellingham with our 2012 first round pick and effectively traded Koby Stevens for Cripps

Considering how rooted we were by gws coming in and then consider 2012 was a very s**t draft. I always like to look at aiming to have 2 best 22 players from each draft. It could easily be argued that cripss, wellingham and hutchings are all B22 (cripps and wellers 10-20 ranking and hutch the 22nd) so when you consider how rooted we were by GWS coming in combined with a horrid draft and us having very crap picks I don't think we did that bad.

Hopefully with some luck there will be a good KPF around our pick in the draft this year. Supposedly it's a pretty good year to be looking for some taller timber.

KPF stock looks a bit thin. Waterman and Allen look promising but i don't think their the types to replace jk. we need to drat a onsters this off season. need to probably have a draft similair to 06. Tho, instead of KPD's, we take KPF's this season.

I think we need to find some new development coaches. The development of midfielders seem to be an issue for us. Hopefully Smitch can have role in fast tracking a few of the kids.

Update to reflect announcement of Round 2 side

Round 2 Depth :

Tall Defenders

1) Schofield* - was travelling emergency last week so didn't get an opportunity to press for selection. Gets his chance at EP this week to lead the defence as the senior tall
2) Gorter - third tall option only if injury strikes 2 or more of our main quartet. Had a poor game for EP last week

Small/Medium Defenders

1) Butler* - doing the team thing waiting in the wings and will do his job when called upon. If Nelson has another quiet game this weekend butlers chance might come sooner rather than later
2) Watson* - has been electric for EP and if he can polish up his disposal may well knock down the door for selection through weight of performance. No change from last week, had another good game for the royals
3) Rotham - Slight build counts against him and it showed against WP as his former club made life difficult for him
4) Brophy - playing reserves for EP so if we get down this far we're in trouble. Same same

Tall Forwards

1) McInness - Depth here is a worry and if we need a tall forward it's more likely we shuffle our rucks/KPDs before big Fraser is promoted off the rookie list. With the injury to Petrie he's more likely to come in as a ruckman. Yes it might come to that.
2) Lamb - not a true KPF as he's a 3rd tall at best. Had arguably his best game kicking 5 goals as the focal point in attack after Giles was withdrawn forcing McInnes into the ruck. More of this please chopper

Small/Medium Forwards

1) Venables - Still on limited minutes in the EP reserves. WC fans (and recruiters) still praying he's the real deal after watching SPP tear s**t up for port
2) Bayok - Cat B rookie playing ressies and a long way from playing in the wings. We're cooked if he gets a game in the seniors this year

Rucks

1) There is no (1) unless you want to count McInnes which is a massive concern :(

Its the Midfield Stupid

1) Duggan* - still building but probably needs to step it up a notch at EP now. On ability he should be pushing for Eagles section
2) Mutimer* - I've moved him ahead of Partington on the strength of him being named as an emergency following a good performance for EP on the weekend
3) Partington* - form is still solid but not really threatening to be selected
4) Karpany - slightly better game but still a way off selection
5) Snadden - was kept in the EP league side and played better. Not an automatic EP selection so nowhere near the eagles 22

Unavailable (the length of this list is going the wrong way)

1) Mackenzie - out with "soreness" after a subpar game against North which may be code for omitted. Selection next week will be interesting if Barrass doesn't grab his chance against the saints
2) Jetta - I'm going to assume/hope that his hitherto unmentioned glute injury is not too serious and he'll be ready for a retur as early as next week
3) Cole - expected to be ready for a return next week. Needs to be. Likely to slot in as second small/medium defender behind butler when he returns.
4) Allen - Now 2 weeks away with a recurrent hamstring. EP struggling for forward targets so he'll get some good opportunities once fit
5) Rioli - getting closer but still 5?weeks ago. A suggestion he's come back from Darwin a little bit porky
6) Waterman - 8 weeks now. Still in a moonboot though Long way off
7) Petrie - hadn't missed a game through injury for 5 years. Breaks his hand laying a tackle inside 5 minutes of his first game for us. Played through the pain but we won't see him again until June sometime at best
8) Lycett - return date lotto has him at 10-12 weeks. Best case is July which at our current ruck injury rate will see him replace Bayok in the ruck
9) Tunbridge - colour me surprised he's had a setback. Get out a 2017/18 financial diary to fund a possible return date
10) Naitanui - slowly recovering and every possibility it'll be 2018 before we see him again. I doubt I'll have to change this comment all season

* These players (there's 6 of them) are who I consider to be the six closest to selection from outside the 22. Three changes due to injury of varying legitimacy/seriousness means the quality of this list has taken a bit of a hit - Naitanui is the only automatic selection missing and to a lesser extent Lycett but most of the others are important depth of not best 22. Six of the players are also 5+ weeks away which is also a problem

Update to reflect announcement of Round 2 side

Round 2 Depth :

Tall Defenders

1) Schofield* - was travelling emergency last week so didn't get an opportunity to press for selection. Gets his chance at EP this week to lead the defence as the senior tall
2) Gorter - third tall option only if injury strikes 2 or more of our main quartet. Had a poor game for EP last week

Small/Medium Defenders

1) Butler* - doing the team thing waiting in the wings and will do his job when called upon. If Nelson has another quiet game this weekend butlers chance might come sooner rather than later
2) Watson* - has been electric for EP and if he can polish up his disposal may well knock down the door for selection through weight of performance. No change from last week, had another good game for the royals
3) Rotham - Slight build counts against him and it showed against WP as his former club made life difficult for him
4) Brophy - playing reserves for EP so if we get down this far we're in trouble. Same same

Tall Forwards

1) McInness - Depth here is a worry and if we need a tall forward it's more likely we shuffle our rucks/KPDs before big Fraser is promoted off the rookie list. With the injury to Petrie he's more likely to come in as a ruckman. Yes it might come to that.
2) Lamb - not a true KPF as he's a 3rd tall at best. Had arguably his best game kicking 5 goals as the focal point in attack after Giles was withdrawn forcing McInnes into the ruck. More of this please chopper

Small/Medium Forwards

1) Venables - Still on limited minutes in the EP reserves. WC fans (and recruiters) still praying he's the real deal after watching SPP tear s**t up for port

Rucks

1) There is no (1) unless you want to count McInnes which is a massive concern :(

Its the Midfield Stupid

1) Duggan* - still building but probably needs to step it up a notch at EP now. On ability he should be pushing for Eagles section
2) Mutimer* - I've moved him ahead of Partington on the strength of him being named as an emergency following a good performance for EP on the weekend
3) Partington* - form is still solid but not really threatening to be selected
4) Karpany - slightly better game but still a way off selection
5) Snadden - was kept in the EP league side and played better. Not an automatic EP selection so nowhere near the eagles 22

Unavailable (the length of this list is going the wrong way)

1) Mackenzie - out with "soreness" after a subpar game against North which may be code for omitted. Selection next week will be interesting if Barrass doesn't grab his chance against the saints
2) Jetta - I'm going to assume/hope that his hitherto unmentioned glute injury is not too serious and he'll be ready for a retur as early as next week
3) Cole - expected to be ready for a return next week. Needs to be. Likely to slot in as second small/medium defender behind butler when he returns.
4) Allen - Now 2 weeks away with a recurrent hamstring. EP struggling for forward targets so he'll get some good opportunities once fit
5) Rioli - getting closer but still 5?weeks ago. A suggestion he's come back from Darwin a little bit porky
6) Waterman - 8 weeks now. Still in a moonboot though Long way off
7) Petrie - hadn't missed a game through injury for 5 years. Breaks his hand laying a tackle inside 5 minutes of his first game for us. Played through the pain but we won't see him again until June sometime at best
8) Lycett - return date lotto has him at 10-12 weeks. Best case is July which at our current ruck injury rate will see him replace Bayok in the ruck
9) Tunbridge - colour me surprised he's had a setback. Get out a 2017/18 financial diary to fund a possible return date
10) Naitanui - slowly recovering and every possibility it'll be 2018 before we see him again. I doubt I'll have to change this comment all season

* These players (there's 6 of them) are who I consider to be the six closest to selection from outside the 22. Three changes due to injury of varying legitimacy/seriousness means the quality of this list has taken a bit of a hit - Naitanui is the only automatic selection missing and to a lesser extent Lycett but most of the others are important depth of not best 22. Six of the players are also 5+ weeks away which is also a problem
When you read this our midfield depth isn't actually that great

When you read this our midfield depth isn't actually that great
Doesn't help that in 2014 we took two back flankers (Duggan and Nelson) a weirdo utility (Lamb) and a cripple (Cavka). Blakely and Ed Langdon were taken shortly after our picks and could have been on that midfield depth list instead of in Freo's 22.

Why is Venables classed as a forward?
In the OP I posted that ultimately he'll be a mid but in the short term (I.e. This season) if he gets a game it will be as a forward flank with an occasional run in the midfield

So as depth he's more a forward than a mid imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back