Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

Hine was in charge of list management when the troubles started.
He got dumped accordingly with the review late 2017.

He handed over to Ned Guy who
  • was told he was to sign Beams immediately (Ed had pushed that and facilitated mid-year, even against Buckley's wishes)
  • had 27 players to deal with at end 2018 because Hine hadn't managed to stagger contracts.
Ned didn't get everything right, but he did get handed a poison chalice.

Ed was the main problem in my opinion
  • pushed for Beams
  • pushed for extra years for Grundy
  • lost us Neil Balme when he brought in Gubby Allan on a captain call without consulting the Board
Gubby was the one who then overpaid for Wells and Mayne in his short window of destruction.

But I agree, I think Wright having his hand on the wheel for the list management, Hine for talent ID and Mcrae to nurture (with Leppitsch, Bolton etc) sets us up really well, even if we still have some list deficiencies at present. Culturally we are in a strong position to attract and retain players. We're in great shape.
Spot on! I dont understand why people blame everything on Ned and our lack of premierships on Hines recruiting. They are both exceptional at their roles.

If people want elite talls then we have trade for them and spend a fortune, in draft capital and coin, or tank and get a top five pick
Trying to pick elite to very good talls past thirty in the draft really happens these days
And if we play finals most of the time forget about the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back