23Legend

All Australian
Jul 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wonders, Lakers, Double Blues, SA
I know we already have enough comps as it is but this idea is just to decide once and for all what we at the footy graphic design board think is the best possible design for the clubs.

Basically, each round will run for a fortnight and will be aimed at a specific club. You will design a kit for that team and at the end of the fortnight run a poll as to who is the winner.

GWS will be included.

So what do you guys think.

It's not totally dissimilar to AGOTW. Plus you'll find most people will want either current or previous designs to be used, for the home kits at least.

It's not totally dissimilar to AGOTW. Plus you'll find most people will want either current or previous designs to be used, for the home kits at least.

I know we already have enough comps as it is but this idea is just to decide once and for all what we at the footy graphic design board think is the best possible design for the clubs.

If the club already has what we think is the best possible design then thats great. We have discovered what is the best possible design.

Plus, many of us, including me, never got to enter AGOTW when it was AFL clubs and I would like to be able to enter it anyway.

Doesn't seem like bad idea. Maybe you could just make a portfolio of all the different jerseys in BennyW's thread 'Jumper Ideas for 2012'. Then make it a poll and see which one everyone prefers.

Just an idea

Doesn't seem like bad idea. Maybe you could just make a portfolio of all the different jerseys in BennyW's thread 'Jumper Ideas for 2012'. Then make it a poll and see which one everyone prefers.

Just an idea

I could but then I'd have to go through and ask the designers whether or not they wanted their designs in the poll. Also, some people may not have posted their ideas there but would like their's here. It just makes it easier to manage.

I don't see it as much of a comp but more of an individual design portfolio.

I know for myself that many of the weeks I would just be recreating current designs, and there is no real challenge in it.
Again, it's not really a comp for who is best designer but more what is the best design. So it doesn't really matter if you just pull something out form 1931 or whether it's the exact same design or something entirely new.

We all basically want the same thing anyway. It could be variations on a theme. Worth a short though.

To be honest, I voted No in the poll. For three main reasons.

-It's very similar to AGOTW, a lot of the entries would be similar to ones done in the past AGOTWs. It's just really adding one or two jumpers onto an AGOTW entry.
-There's not that much room for variation with most AFL teams. It's hard to imagine 10+ people each designing different kits for Essendon, that don't look similar to each other or Essendon's actual kit.
-I know you mentioned it, but there's already a lot of comps going, and a few are already struggling for enough entries week-to-week.

This kit designing stuff should be left in the 'Jumpers for 2011' threads imo.

But, in saying all that, if this comp turned out successfully, I would be pleasantly surprised. I'm interested to see how other feel on this topic.

WACP is struggling for entries. Pretty sure I just can't be bothered doing it anymore. It's not worth it - it garners little interest and creates no discussion.

Willo outlined some strong reasons there. I've voted No as well.

Re: WACP - I'd be into it more but I think the back-story part is doing me in. There's a lot of restrictions to work within, not saying that's a bad thing, but I can't contribute decently to it.

Plus my own performance in competitions on the board overall is poor: how many have I won? I'm happy to keep entering but as you can understand, I'm going to be somewhat selective... the idea of making a complete kit for an AFL team, which is already well established, doesn't hold much interest for me.

Plus my own performance in competitions on the board overall is poor: how many have I won? I'm happy to keep entering but as you can understand, I'm going to be somewhat selective...

Don't get too down on yourself. Before I came to this board, I entered football (soccer) shirt design comps. It took me almost 30 comps to win my first and many of the losses came with nearly no or no votes, and these comps you could only enter once. In comps where you can enter more than once (like on here) it makes it even harder to win.

Keep trying, a win will come.

Not spitting the dummy, but there's a weird level of contradiction that occurs on this board. People consistently yearn for traditional guernseys. I'm all for that. But when a competition arises, the most flamboyant always wins - ugly army patterns, huge flashes, clashing colours. There's a weird double standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get too down on yourself. Before I came to this board, I entered football (soccer) shirt design comps. It took me almost 30 comps to win my first and many of the losses came with nearly no or no votes, and these comps you could only enter once. In comps where you can enter more than once (like on here) it makes it even harder to win.

Keep trying, a win will come.

When i joined this board the usual winners for the comps were Smeagle & InCase

Not spitting the dummy, but there's a weird level of contradiction that occurs on this board. People consistently yearn for traditional guernseys. I'm all for that. But when a competition arises, the most flamboyant always wins - ugly army patterns, huge flashes, clashing colours. There's a weird double standard.

Probably because these designs aren't tied to actual teams. In the case of fanciful teams, there's no emotion involved, so we (used in a broad sense) tend to go for the prettier, flashier designs.

I can't really fault most of the jersey's in the AFL. The only ones with problems IMO are the Adelaide Clash, Brisbane Kit, Essendon Clash, Hawthorn Clash, Gold Coast Home, North Argentina, Richmond Clash, Western Bulldogs Kit, West Coast Clash

Bumping this comment Silent because it's been said before and it's so true.

Probably because these designs aren't tied to actual teams. In the case of fanciful teams, there's no emotion involved, so we (used in a broad sense) tend to go for the prettier, flashier designs.

Agree with this, people don't want to see their club wear a different design such as the new Brisbane jumpers, but if it's a made up team people want to see something new and unique.

Yeah, but the is there a difference between a hypothetical club, and GC or GWS? Y'know? Why should the parameters of design and the conventions of 'good design' change through realism/hypotheticals?

I can't really fault most of the jersey's in the AFL. The only ones with problems IMO are the Adelaide Clash, Brisbane Kit, Essendon Clash, Hawthorn Clash, Gold Coast Home, North Argentina, Richmond Clash, Western Bulldogs Kit, West Coast Clash
What guernsey is this?:cool:

And Silent Alarm, I like WACP but, yeah, the backstory part is where I fall down. For the past few weeks I've had designs all put together and ready to go but I couldn't for the life of me come up with a decent backstory.

What guernsey is this?:cool:

And Silent Alarm, I like WACP but, yeah, the backstory part is where I fall down. For the past few weeks I've had designs all put together and ready to go but I couldn't for the life of me come up with a decent backstory.
I'll rephrase that - Essendon's 'So Called' Clash;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back