Media 'Devastated' Sincity Swamprats will use non-goal controversy as fuel for 'success in the future', says CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sin City Swamprats CEO Big Chungas says the non-goal controversy against the West Coast Wonders will act as fuel for the "devastated" but "resilient group" to find future success.

Chungas, who faced the media on Monday, expressed his disappointment in the decision, calling on the league to "get better", but acknowledged his side missed opportunities to secure a victory.

"The qooty Gods have not been smiling on us," Chungas told the media on Monday.

"We've been close on so many occasions. Should-a, could-a, would-a.

"We've got a resilient group. I'm sure this is going to drive us for success in the future."
1698015180343.png
a devastated okeydoke7 after the disallowed goal

But Chungas didn't shy away from calling on the SFA to look into their line processes, after the league confirmed the umpire in the middle of the controversy has been stood down for the rest of the season.

"We're a multi-million dollar industry, we need to get better in all parts of the game," Chungas said.

"We're in the heat of this, this happened 18 hours ago, there's a mixture of emotions. Let's review it in the cold heart light of day and make the best decision for the game.

"There's a human error element but there's also the technology."
1698015244938.png
a dejected Power Raid after they thought they scored the winning goal

Since the incident, the league released a statement backing the umpire's "15 years of experience", but took ownership of not utilising their ARC technology.

"Upon review, the outcome was conclusive that the decision would have been overturned and it should have been referred to the ARC at the time."

Chungas was adamant that he doesn't believe the error had anything to do with the Swamprats being an interstate side, despite frustration from the club's fans at the mistreatment.

"I'm sure this was just unfortunately a human error. It's a mistake unfortunately we have to live with."

The CEO didn't lay the sole blame on the incident, focusing instead on the Swamprats' inability to capitalise on prior "opportunities" to overcome West Coast.

"They're not only devastated about that moment, they're devastated about that game," Chungas said.

"It was an elimination final for our footy club and we didn't come to play in the first half. We had our opportunities in the last quarter and we didn't quite take them.

"We're disappointed ... because of that decision, but also the way we performed and just didn't deliver on the big stage."

1698015311463.png
a bemused Kennedy Parker after the non awarded goal

As for what happens next, SFA has confirmed they won't overturn the decision.

"We'll have ongoing discussions with the AFL. It's pretty clear we had to move really quickly and announce the mistake here," Chungas said.

"What happens in the future, we will continue to discuss and negotiate with the league.

"I acknowledge that they (the AFL) own the mistake."

The goal umpire has been stood down for the rest of the 2023 season.

Maybe if the qumpires were full time employees we wouldn't have this issue?!?
Maybe we need more of them on the field.*

*said no one ever

The goal umpire has been stood down for the rest of the 2023 season.
He made more ClarkeMonies from that game than he has in his entire career

Donald Duck Money GIF

My spies are telling me that Stevie Wonder is the patron saint of qumpires.
There's always a job at the Qreserve Bank if umpiring isn't his thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back