Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Hi Guys

I am sorry for the long post, but I am looking for some advice about diet from the BigFooty brains trust. I have done some searching through previous threads, but many of them seem aimed towards bulking up or weight loss (which is not what I am looking for).

I am 28, 5'1 and weigh about 48 kilos, so I am only little (runs in the family). A lot of my weight is muscle I have developed since I began my new fitness regime before Christmas last year. I do about five sessions a week for an hour. I am fitter than at any stage in my life and my mental health and confidence has just improved out of sight.

The problem I have is that I don’t eat enough. I have never been a big eater, but now I am finding it hard to get up for each session. I drink around 1.5 litres of water a day. I don’t smoke or drink alcohol or coffee (don’t like the stuff). I have one junk food night of a weekend. (Maybe Friday night if my brother is home and we are hanging out together).

Just briefly, this is what I do;

Monday night – Cardio. Alternates between sprints, interval and endurance. Sometimes combined with 3 or 4 kg weights, lunges, squats etc…

Tuesday night – Toning. Alternate between resistance bands, free weights and fitball. Sometimes combined with cardio circuit and interval training.

Friday night– Kickboxing. Normally combined with circuit, interval training, sometimes weights and resistance thrown in.

Saturday morning – Cardio. Alternative endurance, circuit, interval training

Sunday morning – Cardio. Endurance for training for City to Bay in September.

My diet looks like this (give or take).

Breakfast: Normally bowl of cornflakes and low fat milk as I rush out the door, maybe a cup of tea with a teaspoon of raw sugar.

Morning Tea: Banana and cup of tea or two rice cakes with vegemite.

Lunch: Crackers with cheese and vegemite. Apple, banana or kiwi fruit and maybe leftovers from the previous night.

Dinner (after training): Chicken in a table spoon of homemade marinade of oyster sauce, fish sauce and soy (just to take out the blandness), carrots, baby spinach, capsicum. Sometimes I might have gluten free pasta with homemade sauce. Small fish or steak fillet with vegies and maybe a little bit of mash. (love mash but not very tolerant with the carbs).

Some advice from the BigFootyites out there would be really good (the knowledge some of you have is just awesome).

I am not looking to be the next champion athlete,to lose weight or buff up. Just looking for a bit of dietary balance to complement my fitness.

Can you switch your routine so you exercise in the mornings and not the nights?
Then see how you feel

I'd add a bit more good carbs in there.
Replace your crackers with a good multi grain bread and a bit of butter or marg on there for some fats. Avacado on multi grain as well

For snacks : apples, black olives, dried apricots, eat as many as you want.
Snack all day and keep on snacking, youre not gonna put on weight.

Looks like your on a healthy well disciplined diet. If you cant get up for a session my guess is cause you havent got enough quality fuel in the tank especially in the night.
Have an apple before your sessions

by the looks of things you're having lunch and then not eating again until after your workouts. quite simply you need to increase your energy intake before your work outs.

a small meal in the afternoons is what you need

Thanks Didak and Omit really appreciate the suggestions. See how I go.

Bahahahaha. I did that once. I lasted a week. :D

Pretty much same as Shell. I am really not an early morning person. Saturday and Sunday are ok, as the sessions start at 8, but the rest of the week, it is 5.30 sessions and I really struggle to get up :p Sometimes if I have to make up sessions, I do an early one, but it is hard.

All my mates are in the evening groups, so it is always really motivational and a lot of fun. (especially as I am really not good with endurance. Their encouragement and support over my first 8 km run last week was just awesome).

Definitely under eating for breakky and lunch.

Add in some flaxseed oil, about a table spoon to your food in the evenings. Omega-3 is great for the metabolism and adds in some calories as well. Dont good with it or it denatures horribly, add in afterward and is a good addition to salad dressing or over veggies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back