Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so we now proceed on the very intellectual debating level of no I don't/yes you do then or would you like to enlighten me as to why my post is rubbish?

When your argument is that the internet doesn’t influence anything because there’s too many people, and both sides use it then I can only point out that you’re wrong on both accounts. If you don’t see that then there’s really not much more I can do..

Rising health costs is across the board in the West regardless of whether government are 'Left' or 'Right'. Aging populations that are increasingly fat lazy MF's too boot doesn't make for reduced money required. A sugar tax, raised alcohol taxes and id required when buying cigarettes so smokers can be pinged higher Medicare levy would all be a good start.

What about a government that preferred prevention rather than cure? What about creating a lifestyle that allows more time for home cooking, exercise, and less reliance on substance to get by? I think looking at lowering the cost of living and housing affordability would be a good start, followed with addressing the wealth gap?

No, too much to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a government that preferred prevention rather than cure? What about creating a lifestyle that allows more time for home cooking, exercise, and less reliance on substance to get by? I think looking at lowering the cost of living and housing affordability would be a good start, followed with addressing the wealth gap?

No, too much to ask?

What I proposed are preventative. Discouraging negative behaviours. They make healthy food more attractive price wise. Put the money raised into bike paths, walking trails etc for the other side. You can only do so much. People do have to want to help themselves. Going for a walk or doing a body weight circuit costs nothing (and can be fitted into anyone’s time, 15-30 minutes a day instead of watching a screen) but the government can’t put a gun at the head of those less likely to do it and make them.

What I proposed are preventative. ...

No, they're punishments. Nothing is becoming 'more affordable', some things are becoming less affordable.

I don't have 15 - 30 minutes most days. As I type this I push a pram with the other hand. I get up, go to work, come home and parent, clean house and get my 4.5 average hours of sleep.

Please tell me how increasing the cost of living will help my wellbeing. Please.

Last edited:
IMF suggesting that the Australian government needs to consider giving out cash bonuses and moving up infrastructure projects while the RBA should look at quantitive easing next year to stimulate the economy and stave off a recession.

Central banks are buying up treasury bonds to shore up liquidity for governments. European Central Bank buys $30b worth of treasury bonds per month, which pumps money into a nation's budget. Pretty much a version of the 2008 GFC, except this time it's reserve banks pouring money into governments instead of governments pouring money into large banks.

Baby boomers reaching pension age who actually have some some of superannuation nest egg would be a massive drain on social security if there was a crash in the stock market. So governments will do whatever they can to ensure these people don't lose money. After all, with an ageing population across the world, they are the ones who hold the most voting power.

The current mentality in financial markets for pensions is 'buy equities for yield', because it looks better than 0%. Hence why the stock markets of the world are doing relatively well compared to their economies. The only place I wouldn't be tradings stocks is in Europe - the future price/earnings ratio for the companies listed in their indices is -2 to -5 from their current levels across the board. Europe is in real trouble because they don't produce commodities and they can't rely on a consumer driven economy

And you wonder why conservative parties get into power? Come on, man.

The good thing is that negative interest rates, low growth and high taxes = the next generation left paying a bill for a party they didn't even attend.

Inky dinky doo :)

Someone needs to learn the difference between economics and politics.

No, they're punishments. Nothing is becoming 'more affordable', some things are becoming less affordable.

I don't have 15 - 30 minutes most days. As I type this I push a pram with the other hand. I get up, go to work, come home and parent, clean house and get my 4.5 average hours of sleep.

Please tell me how increasing the cost of living will help my wellbeing. Please.

New parent is hardly representative of all times. Although being there and I got my walks in with pram with one hand, lead of the Rottie in the other most days with the eldest son.

Health is one of the biggest expenditure items of governments, which would be billions less if we were a nation that even ‘just’ halved the rates of obesity, alcohol over consumption and general lack of health. Money that could then be freed up to go back to people, providing that reduction in price of living we all want.

We’ve had decades of ‘Norm’ and many follow-ups trying to encourage people into taking care of themselves and they won’t.

Though one area I’ll give people a pass is the governments (West again), taking up of the idiocy of the conventional food pyramid of carbs for all. Flip that and advise people to run low carb-high fat for at least part of the year and people’s (countries, budgets thinking just cash) health would go up markedly.

That one can of beer I enjoyed last night while I cooked tea being even more heavily taxed would make me feel so much healthier, along with the s**t food I'll eat today at work, maybe if I eat enough of it I'll crack 65kg which is good because my wallet won't weigh anything more than the material it's made with.

That one can of beer I enjoyed last night while I cooked tea being even more heavily taxed would make me feel so much healthier, along with the s**t food I'll eat today at work, maybe if I eat enough of it I'll crack 65kg which is good because my wallet won't weigh anything more than the material it's made with.

10c extra on that can isn't going to stop the light / moderate drinkers being able to enjoy themselves, any more than a sugar tax putting the price up of full sugar soft drinks and chocolate bars. It'll help stop them being a staple consumed in large numbers by price, similar (although to a lesser degree) as increased cigarette prices have been the largest driver of bringing the rates of smoking down. Though I'd be overjoyed to see a government of any persuasion push back on the 'love your curves' message that's run with these days. Heart disease, diabetes and many forms of cancer don't give a s**t whether you love that extra padding or not. It's mind boggling to any government (or any political party in general) that truly cares for the citizen's of it's state/country/etc. is more worried about twitter block back from the easily offended, then stopping enabling of such self-destructive behaviours.

Personally with a finite budget for health I'd rather see a lot more go into Mental health, NDIS and issues caused by factors outside people's own control, then such a large proportion wasted on self-inflicted diseases and conditions.

Meh. The health system is an industry in its own right and employs large numbers of people in highly skilled jobs. And it's a pipe dream to think that if spending on health was reduced the government would use that money to lower the cost of living - that's fanciful and not at all how government works.

Meh. The health system is an industry in its own right and employs large numbers of people in highly skilled jobs. And it's a pipe dream to think that if spending on health was reduced the government would use that money to lower the cost of living - that's fanciful and not at all how government works.
Just being a cynic, if there was billions freed up governments would return some of that via tax cuts in order to increase votes. That's money in the hand (cost of living improvement).

chiwigi about to go ballistic......3,2,1
Hahah, the idea that the English keep Wales afloat out of the goodness of their heart (and wallets) is beyond ridiculous.
Wales is the 5th biggest exporter of power IN THE WORLD!
We have several steel works that have been viable until very recently (and still are thanks to Gupta). We also export 90% of our water to keep the cities of Liverpool, Birmingham and Manchester literally afloat.

That’s without talking about the coal, the gold and the oil in the Irish Sea.

I can handle people arguing about social cohesion and a long term relationship with our neighbours etc. but the idea that Wales would not be able,to survive financially is the biggest lie out there. The resources are stolen daily!

An to say they’ll benefit financially from Brexit is to repeat the biggest lie of the whole thing. Under Europe Wales we’re entitled to Objective One funding, which Europe supplied.

Where do you think that ended up being spent? Yup...England.

I work a fair bit with people living in Gibraltar and have great sympathy for them with Brexit. They voted 96% to remain and are going to be more effected by Brexit than anyone, including the Northern Irish, but ultimately have no sway in the process. Many grew up when there was a closed boarder with Spain and there is a chance that will happen again post Brexit but they all see sovereignty from the UK would leave them beholden to Spain and the EU.

Scotland is at least comparatively affluent and could function as a stand alone economy. Given their energy production the EU would be clammering over themselves to roll out the welcome mat. If they had the sovereign wealth of Norway they could probably even function outside the EU. Although in reality if they were independent they would remain incredibly closely tied with England.

But Wales, no one in there right mind actually thinks an independent Wales is good idea do they? The EU wouldn’t be in a rush to bring in another basket case economy and I doubt an independent Wales could expect kind treatment from England either. Even the political argument is a stretch, they voted majority to leave and are probably one of the parts of the UK that could most likely expect to benefit from Brexit.
You couldn’t be more wrong about Wales!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corbyn being racist should have worked in his favour given the that Brexit is almost entirely built on racist philosophy.
Not that type of racist silly, the ‘bad’ type!
You know, the ones that criticise Israeli aggression.

I don't think the main stream media has the influence now that they once did. People are increasingly sourcing their info off the internet because they know the media runs with its own agenda. It is moot whether they were ever unbiased politically. Most people see what they want to see.
They buy the slots from Facebook, and theres the whole Cambridge analytics fiasco as well.
The Conservatives literally changed their Twitter handle to ‘fact check uk’ had an independent analysis that said they lied 80% of the time and still ******* won. Because once a lie has been said, people still believe a part of it, even though they know it’s a lie.

10c extra on that can isn't going to stop the light / moderate drinkers being able to enjoy themselves, any more than a sugar tax putting the price up of full sugar soft drinks and chocolate bars. It'll help stop them being a staple consumed in large numbers by price, similar (although to a lesser degree) as increased cigarette prices have been the largest driver of bringing the rates of smoking down. Though I'd be overjoyed to see a government of any persuasion push back on the 'love your curves' message that's run with these days. Heart disease, diabetes and many forms of cancer don't give a s**t whether you love that extra padding or not. It's mind boggling to any government (or any political party in general) that truly cares for the citizen's of it's state/country/etc. is more worried about twitter block back from the easily offended, then stopping enabling of such self-destructive behaviours.

Personally with a finite budget for health I'd rather see a lot more go into Mental health, NDIS and issues caused by factors outside people's own control, then such a large proportion wasted on self-inflicted diseases and conditions.

I think we already sink too much in to mental health, it's another cure rather than prevention solution, and people suffering will only increase once food and beverages that make people happy are demonised more.

My big tips from 4 weeks ago:

1. Tories big win
2. Brexit (probably hard brexit) by 31 January 2020
3. Boris out as PM by 2022
4. Scotland to vote for independence and be out of the UK by 2026

I remember hearing this announcement on the radio just as I was about to head back to school after lunch. I was quite late getting back and when I explained to the teacher why, he went ashen faced and left the room and we didn't see him for the rest of the day. He was the secretary of the local ALP sub branch :)

#saveaap :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back