Remove this Banner Ad

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Big pile of self indulgent wank. Great individual musicians but means nothing if you can't put decent songs together. All they seem interested in doing is at different points showcasing their individual technical skills.

Big pile of self indulgent wank. Great individual musicians but means nothing if you can't put decent songs together. All they seem interested in doing is at different points showcasing their individual technical skills.
But its fast...and Long! i liked glass prison untill 3 minutes in, and it just goes to utter s**t, would of been a great song if it was about 5 minutes long.

I agree, good musicians, but they put me to sleep, Pretentious wank, i doubt even dream theater fans like the music, but just enjoy lording over everyone else on how they listen to better more sophisticated music.

Kinda like the people who listen to Yngwie Malmsteen ruin classical music using the same scale who claim hes amazing

You can't even spell the name of the band right, so I doubt you have listened to alot of their music. They are my favourite band by far, and I reckon they have put plenty of great songs together. But I can see how some people could find their music boring, I suppose.
Anyway, I obviously can't change your opinion about DT but if you don't like their music then don't listen to it, there is no reason to bitch about it on BF.

it is w***ery. they are all skilled at what they do, i just think they set themselves boundaries. they could be far better

I like 90% of it. a lot.

the gay ballady stuff and james la brie's 'croony' stuff irritates the hell out of me though.

some of their stuff is actually pretty straightforward (eg. some of the songs from the 'images & words' album etc), and some of it is totally ott proggy type stuff - which is (by it's very nature) supposed to be ott and technical.

thus it being called 'progressive' music.

I don't mind this band, very overrated by fan boys (IF you don't like it you don't understand it). 2 albums Awake and Images and Words are decent as are their instrumentals but meh to everything else

have you listened to all their songs?? Half are 'self indulgent wank fests' as you put it but the other half are actually really good (except some do go on for a little bit too long)

I used to think the same about Dream Theater but actually sat down and actually listened through a few albums repeatedly and really started to enjoy some of it. Not all of it mind you, but a fair proportion of it. Not a big fan of their ballady type songs.

Saying they can't put decent songs together is a ridiculous statement.

I've given them a huge chance, way more than I probably would (or should!) many other bands of this nature. But they were recommended to me by an acquaintance who shares a mutual appreciation of Rush and several other more progressive acts.

Life's too short to waste any more precious time on this band.

• Banned
You can't even spell the name of the band right, so I doubt you have listened to alot of their music.
Stupid comment. I've listened to enough of it to know that it's 4 person jizz-fest. Big pile-o-wank.

They are my favourite band by far, and I reckon they have put plenty of great songs together.
There is no such thing as a great song that isn't reknown.

another stupid comment said:
I obviously can't change your opinion about DT but if you don't like their music then don't listen to it, there is no reason to bitch about it on BF.
I obviously can't change your opinion about my opinion of DT but if you don't like my opinion of their music then there is no reason to bitch about it on BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't listened to all Britney Spears' songs. What's your point?

If they had anything decent it would get FM airplay.

my point is that all Dream Theater songs are not the same, in fact some are extremely different from others. The style changes significantly from album to album. The differences in style between an album such as Awake and Train of Thought are quite significant. If you can't acknowledge that then you aren't really in a position to call all their songs crap. May I ask how much Dream Theater you have actually listened to? BTW the Britney Spears comparison is just stupid.

Your second point is also ridiculous, that would mean a great majority of bands out there musn't write good music because they don't get FM airplay:rolleyes: If that is your criteria for good song writing (and I would assume it is not), your musical taste musn't be too broad. Their music is not radio friendly, therefore doesn't get played on radio. Surely that is not a reason to call them bad songwriters?

my point is that all Dream Theater songs are not the same, in fact some are extremely different from others. The style changes significantly from album to album. The differences in style between an album such as Awake and Train of Thought are quite significant.
I've sampled a variety of their stuff. Complete jism.

BTW the Britney Spears comparison is just stupid.
No it's it not. I haven't listened to most of Britney stuff to know I think her music is s**t and not for. Same goes for Wank Theatre.

Your second point is also ridiculous, that would mean a great majority of bands out there musn't write good music because they don't get FM airplay:rolleyes:
Correct.

If it's good it will get played. There's plenty of crap that gets airtime. If something is good, it will get played. Very very few exceptions.

If that is your criteria for good song writing (and I would assume it is not), your musical taste musn't be too broad. Their music is not radio friendly, therefore doesn't get played on radio. Surely that is not a reason to call them bad songwriters?
You're not getting it.

They don't write music that is one. There are 4 guys who's intent is to showcase their technical skills. This makes it hard for them to write a good tune. This is why the vast majority of people can't name one Wank Theatre song or know one of their hooks or riffs etc.

I see smelly bait in the water, but am going to keep on swimming....

a very couple of minor ones,

1. their are 5 members in dream theater ;)

2. kind of hard to get a song on fm radio when the majority of their songs exceed (at least) 5 minutes.

before this is countered with 'yeah and that's cause they can't write a real song that goes for a sensible amount of time', I'd suggest that is the point of the whole 'prog' style in the first place - maybe a comparison could be with classical music?
not too many classical songs that fit the fm pop music framework to be played on the radio?
the amount of movements involved in a 'song' for both classical and some of the more full-on prog stuff means it would be impossible to get the same effect constrained by that format.

remember these guys don't want to write standard 3 minute rock songs - there's enough dribble like jet and wolfmother doing that at the moment anyway. (and strangely enough that stuff is what you hear on fm radio - no wonder I haven't actively listened to the radio in well over 10 years!)

3. no-one is denying that there is musical w***ery aplenty in some of their stuff, but so what? some of their songs I appreciate more on a musical/technical level, whilst others I reckon are just good rock/heavy tunes.

anyway, horses for courses and all of that usual s**t - one thing I've learnt is that there is no real point arguing about music taste as it's so subjective.
people either like stuff or they don't. :)

got my tickets for tomorrow night and I can't wait - might see you up the front eh bunsen?

surely within their 3.5 hr set, there might be time for a song or two within all of that muso malarkey they carry on with...
;)

Went to the concert here in Melbourne last night, and it reconfirmed my statement that Dream Theater are right up there for the best musicians I've ever seen in my life.

Petrucci is right up there in the top echelon of 'best ever' guitarists.

Last night was euphoric at times, one of my best concert experiences to date.

Went to the concert here in Melbourne last night, and it reconfirmed my statement that Dream Theater are right up there for the best musicians I've ever seen in my life.

Petrucci is right up there in the top echelon of 'best ever' guitarists.

Last night was euphoric at times, one of my best concert experiences to date.

I also went last night, it was awesome! How cool was Jordan Rudess's keyboard guitar thing. The setlist was pretty awesome too. It's the only concert I've been to, but I doubt I will see many better than last night.

Would have to agree that they are a terrible band. But will have to disagree that they are great individual musicians.

You're not getting it.

They don't write music that is one. There are 4 guys who's intent is to showcase their technical skills. This makes it hard for them to write a good tune. This is why the vast majority of people can't name one Wank Theatre song or know one of their hooks or riffs etc.

was getting it mate...you don't think the songs 'flow' or 'are one' but many people do. Me being one of them. If you don't appreciate their music then fair enough, but the 'vast majority' of people who can't name a hook or riff are people like you who seem intent on crapping on about how s**t they are as a band and don't actually listen to all the music they create (ie not fans of the band:rolleyes:). There are many great hooks and riffs in Dream Theater's music, especially if you listen to the last couple of albums, but that would be too much to ask wouldn't it?:)

I also went last night, it was awesome! How cool was Jordan Rudess's keyboard guitar thing. The setlist was pretty awesome too. It's the only concert I've been to, but I doubt I will see many better than last night.

good to hear mate:thumbsu: any chance of breakdown of the setlist (i know it's a lot to ask:D). Looking forward to Friday at the Riverstage.

good to hear mate:thumbsu: any chance of breakdown of the setlist (i know it's a lot to ask:D). Looking forward to Friday at the Riverstage.

I can't remember all of the songs they played, but I will give it my best shot, they were roughly in this order:

Opened with Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Surrounded
Dark Eternal Night - Was awesome, especially the video that went with it
As I Am
Take the Time
maybe a couple of other songs and then an intermission

After the intermission:

Fatal Tragedy
The Spirit Carries On
Erotomania
Forsaken
I'm sure there were a few more songs but I can't remember them.
Finished with In The Presence of Enemies (The whole song):thumbsu:
Then came back on and did a medly which they have done on other shows on this tour:
I Trial of Tears
II Finally Free
III Learning to Live
IV In the Name of God
V Octavarium

LaBrie's vocals were great and the thing Rudess was using is called a keytar, he came down the front and played with Petrucci and Myung in a few songs which was cool. Overall it was a really awesome show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back