Dunstall or Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

The Chief.

Man has, and will continue to bleed, Brown and Gold.

Moreover, post-AFL player, has been a big part of guiding the club ala part of the selection panel that appointed Clarko.

Brereton.

I recall game from memory, think it was Richmond where Dermie played with broken ribs and kicked a bundle. May have been this one.

If the Hawks had Longmire in team and Pagan instead of Jeans, Dermie would be spoken of far, far more than he is. Look at his GF record, ex 87 when he had to play despite barely being able to run it was phenomenal. Beats that of Carey hands down.

Take him and Dunstall over Buddy any day of the week. And Platten and Ayres.

I’m going to go against the grain here and say Buddy (by the worlds smallest bees dick).

My reasoning being that, when compared to his contemporaries, Buddy is that much better than the next best key forward of his generation, let alone a group. He’ll end up with around 250-300 more goals than the next best (Riewoldt, Kennedy, Hawkins), and that’s just measuring him as a goal-kicker, let alone his ability around the ground and capacity to beat multiple defenders / defensive setups

That might be slightly harsh on Dunstall given his contemporaries are Ablett Snr and Lockett, two of the greatest goal kickers of all time. But there’s little doubt that goals were easier to come by in his era, which contextualises this somewhat.

I recall game from memory, think it was Richmond where Dermie played with broken ribs and kicked a bundle. May have been this one.

If the Hawks had Longmire in team and Pagan instead of Jeans, Dermie would be spoken of far, far more than he is. Look at his GF record, ex 87 when he had to play despite barely being able to run it was phenomenal. Beats that of Carey hands down.

One of the smartest players ever.
How good was that team - Dunstall injured so get Derm to play with an inflatable vest to protect his broken ribs and put Ayres in the pocket to look after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the love for Dermott. Talk about bleed brown & gold. Probably my favorite player after Lethal who is the GOAT. The kid wasn't that big but put his body on the line every time. He was as gifted as both Buddy & Dunstall but his body let him down by age 26 which prevented him from getting due credit for a fantastic career. (His foot skills were truly elite and was very much the team player.) He had the most physical presence of any player I have ever seen. Brereton drew a crowd which freed up players like Hall & Jarman to do whatever they pleased. Love the kid!

Hope you guys don't mind me coming here but if you had an 18 year old Dunstall and an 18 year old Buddy lined up and you could pick 1 of them to draft in 2022 I think you would have to pick Buddy. As good as Dunstall was in the modern game Buddy is far more suited. Dunstall isn't really tall enough to be a Key Position player in the modern era and while Buddy isn't always great defensively Dunstall would be a genuine liability defensively.

Hope you guys don't mind me coming here but if you had an 18 year old Dunstall and an 18 year old Buddy lined up and you could pick 1 of them to draft in 2022 I think you would have to pick Buddy. As good as Dunstall was in the modern game Buddy is far more suited. Dunstall isn't really tall enough to be a Key Position player in the modern era and while Buddy isn't always great defensively Dunstall would be a genuine liability defensively.
Bunghole could take a contested mark on the lead without getting a free kick for arm chop or punch to the back of the head
Imagine how many more he would take with that and how many goals he would kick

He also played in an era with no zone defences, and where a 188cm forward could play as a key position player.
Hawks used to open up the forward line for Cyril
They had Buddys box
something would be invented for Dunstalls skill set too

Dunstall also knocked back the millions to go to Brizzy so points for loyalty too

I’m going to go against the grain here and say Buddy (by the worlds smallest bees dick).

My reasoning being that, when compared to his contemporaries, Buddy is that much better than the next best key forward of his generation, let alone a group. He’ll end up with around 250-300 more goals than the next best (Riewoldt, Kennedy, Hawkins), and that’s just measuring him as a goal-kicker, let alone his ability around the ground and capacity to beat multiple defenders / defensive setups

That might be slightly harsh on Dunstall given his contemporaries are Ablett Snr and Lockett, two of the greatest goal kickers of all time. But there’s little doubt that goals were easier to come by in his era, which contextualises this somewhat.
Buddy has played a great deal of his career where he has been a focal point with the other forwards as decoys. I remember in 2012 when any hawk anywhere, back pocket, forward flank, on the bench! looked for buddy no matter how many blokes he was surrounded by with roughead on his own, and they still, like an automaton, kicked it in buddy's direction. At the swans even more so. Dunstall shared the load far more, even on 17 goals, in round 7 1992, Dunstall was in the back line with a couple of minutes to go. Dunstall shared his era with Lockett and Ablett snr but he also shared his own forward line with a muesli of players who would have been the main focus in other teams. Buddy has to share his forward line at the swans with his opponent.

Physically there is no comparison, buddy beats almost every player who has ever lived. But there is so much more to a footballer than that. Mentally where the game is played, Dunstall has it all over Franklin. Franklin, if you remember was happy to get the four points in a final, he was a one man team according to him, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what country Pakistan is in.

Buddy is so gifted and can do things most others can’t and kick some breathtaking goals, but Dunstall was an absolute machine, and an ultimate professional and team player.

It’s true he didn’t have to contend with the modern day defensive tactics, but on the flip side, he had defenders like SOS scragging and infringing non-stop week after week, and still did it all.

Buddy will rightly be remembered as a great, but I would say Dunstall.

Near on impossible to compare these two in the same era, but I will give it a try.

While Buddy height and speed is above the norm for a key forward both now and in Dunstall era. He would not have the freedom in the eighties and early nineties to exploit his speed! More congested with crappy grounds and defenders more than happy to scragg, needle or flat out belt you! To be honest, I think this would have the biggest impact on a 80's Buddy. I suspect that he would spend a bit more time frustrated, injured or in front of the tribunal in Dunstall era, either retaliating or as the aggressor!

Disagree that Dunstall would be a defensive liability as he was one of the first forwards to really chase and tackle defenders! While his height in modern terms is more suited to a 3rd tall or mid, Dunstall pace and strength would be an asset.

Both players would adapt to the others era, but neither would reach the stellar levels of their own era. Potentially the only criteria that could be measured across both era's is goal king accuracy! Which would have Dunstall in front!

Take into account some of Dunstall achievements!

1992, 139 goals at the end of the H&A (including 17 against the tiggrs) finished with 145 and second in the Brownlow. All of this in a hawks team that was at the end of it most golden run!

The severity of Dunstall injuries over the years has been overlooked. Noting the time he missed his final goal tally would be much higher!!

Bud is the most electric forward of recent time, 2 time hawks premiership star, Coleman medalist and the last person to the ton in a year. But Dunstall ever day of the week for mine!!!

Dunstall laid more tackles than just about any forward before Rioli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back