Autopsy Eagles defeat Swans by 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
More than decent first half then they stepped up the pressure and we couldnt go near them even with them being a man down.

We dont have the skillset needed to go down the middle consistently but we look good when it does come off.

So much inconsistency between our players each quarter we cant get them to perform all at once.

2-3 is alright we could easily be 0-5 however.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
only had the chance to watch near the end of the 3q

not much to say, i probably feel the same as most of the players out there - deflated

List is shocking , simple

Recruitment the 3 years have Pretty much list cloggers

Thurlow
Clarke
Menzel
Gray

Have blokes like COR etc getting games thst are not good enough

Aliir looks gone along with Hayward. Ling no good

Have blokes like Amerty, Bell and knoll

Kennedy and rampe nearing the end

List is rubbish

Last edited:

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Really poor second half, decent first half.
unfortunately we are probably the worst side in the comp right now. the forward line is a disaster, the midfield is weak, ruck none existent and the backline disorganised and lacks penetration trying to exit.
we have 5-6 lost cloggers getting games right now, Aliir, Gray, Cunningham, Melican, Ronke to make a few.
I think we need to play our brightest young stars right now and try and generate a half decent brand because right now we don’t have a brand at all.
Horse is shuffling around players providing players with no certain role and rendering players like Heeney Mills, Dawson ineffectual.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Positives:

Hayward looked OK in defence, made some mistakes but I think he'd be OK.

McInerney looks better each week. Didn't always come off for him, made some annoying errors but the signs of becoming a pretty good player are there.

Florent showed great mental fortitude in the second half after a nightmare start.

Blakey was better.

Melican showed a little bit of what we all got excited about early, even if he dropped off like the rest of the team in the second half.

Negatives speak for themselves.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
List is shocking , simple

Recruitment the 3 years have Pretty much list cloggers

Thurlow
Clarke
Menzel
Gray

Have blokes like COR , Ronke and Melican getting games

Aliir looks gone along with Hayward. Ling no good

Have blokes like Amerty, Bell and knoll

Kennedy and rampe nearing the end

List is rubbish

Dire times ahead

Gonna enjoy the development of Rowbottom and McInerney

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Today was clearly a bad day but I still think we will come good at some point.

No genuine ruckman and no mobile tall forwards makes it hard to state the bleeding obvious.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Positives:

Hayward looked OK in defence, made some mistakes but I think he'd be OK.

McInerney looks better each week. Didn't always come off for him, made some annoying errors but the signs of becoming a pretty good player are there.

Florent showed great mental fortitude in the second half after a nightmare start.

Blakey was better.

Melican showed a little bit of what we all got excited about early, even if he dropped off like the rest of the team in the second half.

Negatives speak for themselves.

I just think Hayward in defence is pointless he is a crafty small forward he needs to work with Papley and Heeney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Today was clearly a bad day but I still think we will come good at some point.

No genuine ruckman and no mobile tall forwards makes it hard to state the bleeding obvious.

Just no talls no targets Papley and Heeney work better with talls contesting and bringing the ball to ground.

I just think Hayward in defence is pointless he is a crafty small forward he needs to work with Papley and Heeney.
If it helps him get his confidence back and can find some of the ball it is worth the experiment.

I think he was getting lost without Franklin/Reid there

Oct 17, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Beaten by a better side.

I enjoyed the way we played in the first half. Dry conditions so we tried shorter passes and running the ball from deep. Also tried players in different positions.

Of the younger players, Mcinerney and Rowbottom seemed to keep trying till the end. Some players had off days.

I am not too upset. We seem to be a lower mid table side. So just need to turn up and compete each week and we will occasionally get a win. No need for mass changes after every loss.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Intent is there. Game plan is there. The execution will come.

Rowbottom was immense, will be our future bull mid. Hopefully with Stephens Campbell and gulden become a mega midfield.

McInerney will be huge

Melican even though wasn't amazing defensively, he's mobile and provides the ability to rebound through the middle. Better option than brand imo. Lack of ability moving the ball forward is what got marsh delisted and Thurlow dropped.

McLean already a better player than Naismith. Would be our future second ruck/forward tho, not a main.

Hayward and Blakey were good, don't agree with the critisicm today. And I don't want to give up on ronke, he's still young and does the small things right, and would be a match winner in a better team.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Rowbottom was immense, will be our future bull mid. Hopefully with Stephens Campbell and gulden become a mega midfield.

McInerney will be huge

Melican even though wasn't amazing defensively, he's mobile and provides the ability to rebound through the middle. Better option than brand imo. Lack of ability moving the ball forward is what got marsh delisted and Thurlow dropped.

McLean already a better player than Naismith. Would be our future second ruck/forward tho, not a main.

Hayward and Blakey were good, don't agree with the critisicm today. And I don't want to give up on ronke, he's still young and does the small things right, and would be a match winner in a better team.

True Ronke is only 22 but how long do you persist?

See the problem is in the past we would of had Blakey, Rowbottom and McInerney developing nicely in the NEAFL we dont have that luxury anymore.

Positives - Shorter Quarters
First 15 minutes

Negarives Missing simple set shots that could dent the oppositions confidence.
Decision Making
Watching the rapid demise of Allir...what is happening with him?

Last edited:

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Polish has been an issue in a lot of the games we've lost over the last two years. Attacking, willing to take short options and play on rather than continually trying to link tall targets down the line. It's just an inexperienced (and unskilled I've seen arguments for) team without a lot of protection from players in the key age group around 25.

Will it progress naturally from here? Dunno. Have to hope though.

Height Deprivation Disorder meant we we had to run chains of hand passes which is a high risk strategy when we are not the most skilled and the Oppo twig to what we are doing.

We had a crack but carried a lot of people. At this stage we are simply and obviously not good enough. One of McCartin, Reid or Franklin should play next week - give them a small area they are not to leave.

People will kick Ollie but he had a crack and improved in the 2nd half. McLean is a tough trier but he aint a fwd. Play him as a KPD or ditch him. McInerney again impressed but he is a kid and learning. Rowbottom was ok. Clarke tried hard and negated Gaff but I dread it when he has the ball.

Cunningham was again a non - event. At least COR puts his head over the ball. Lloyd was ok and gave me the best laugh of the day when he was caught playing on Nic Nat in the goal square

Kennedy and Parker were our best.

Melican is arguably our most clueless player since Deano.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
True Ronke is only 22 but how long do you persist?

See the problem is in the past we would of had Blakey, Rowbottom and McInerney developing nicely in the NEAFL we dont have that luxury anymore.
The thing is we havn't persisted with him for all that long. You'd think he's been around for 10 years the way some bang on. In all honesty if you look at all his games, he's been good more than he's been bad. He does some good things, and when he's on he's on. And he's only played 33 game for gods sake, and with a decent return too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back