Eagleton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes - it was a bad deal.

But it was done and there is nothing we can do about it.

Eagleton should be judged on the basis of whether he is good enough to be in our side and not on whether he was worth what we paid for him. The club should be judged on the trade.

So, my judgement of Eagleton - he is in our best 22. But he is prone to softness that shouldn't be tolerated - he needs to be dropped occasionally so he gets that message.

I despised the deal the moment I heard about it and nothing has changed my view in the meantime. But K9 is right. The club has to accept responsibility for what it gave up to get him not Eagle.

Eagle looks very underdone and probably needs a few weeks with Werribee and playing as first rover. At at least get him into the action and told he is not allowed off the field til he gets his shorts dirty.

Originally posted by The Doctor
I despised the deal the moment I heard about it and nothing has changed my view in the meantime. But K9 is right. The club has to accept responsibility for what it gave up to get him not Eagle.

Eagle looks very underdone and probably needs a few weeks with Werribee and playing as first rover. At at least get him into the action and told he is not allowed off the field til he gets his shorts dirty.

Wallace wanted him and in fairness to him he did say that it would take a few season before it could be accurately gauged.

In my opinion, it was a poor trade for us however, I tend to agree that he needs a couple of weeks with the Bees given his injury problems this season to regain his form and most of all fitness which I think is currently his main problem.
If he displayed his all australian form the trade would have been a marginal win for us but it really does not look like he will ever get back to that type of form.
With Alvey, Guido and Gilbee in decent touch we seem to have too many players similar to Eagle so unless he is playing well he will struggle to hold his spot.

Originally posted by OldSchool

If he displayed his all australian form the trade would have been a marginal win for us but it really does not look like he will ever get back to that type of form.

I don't recall Eagle being an All-Australian. Can anyone confirm this?

Eagleton never made the All Australian team. However, he was added to the Australian squad for (i think) the 1998 tour of Ireland.

Ever since then he really has been rather poor. He had a poor last year at Port (despite his heart condition)...and really hasnt gone on with the job at the Bulldogs. Montgomery has been a great addition to Port...winning the 2000 BnF and being a top 10 BnF finisher last year as well...a top player that i cant believe you got rid of (as well as Powell) just for Eagleton!

Originally posted by Macca19
Eagleton never made the All Australian team. However, he was added to the Australian squad for (i think) the 1998 tour of Ireland.

Ever since then he really has been rather poor. He had a poor last year at Port (despite his heart condition)...and really hasnt gone on with the job at the Bulldogs. Montgomery has been a great addition to Port...winning the 2000 BnF and being a top 10 BnF finisher last year as well...a top player that i cant believe you got rid of (as well as Powell) just for Eagleton!

I loved Monty, and still do. He has that intangible 'something.' A great grab, and can play tall. Couldn't we do with his marking ability now?

Originally posted by Macca19
Montgomery has been a great addition to Port...winning the 2000 BnF and being a top 10 BnF finisher last year as well...a top player that i cant believe you got rid of (as well as Powell) just for Eagleton!

Don't forget we gave you a second round draft pick (used to select Guerra) in that deal too! :):):):):):):) (yep, I've gone nuts)

The thing that really shlt me about that deal was the club's supposed reasoning behind it:

'We need to rejuvenate the list with youth' was the catchcry. Fine - in our position it was a good philosophy to adopt.

But the execution? Nothing short of a joke.

Powell was 23, and one of the very few up and comers at that stage. The draft pick given away would have netted a gun 17 year old in one of the best and deepest drafts ever.

I'm one of the few Eagleton fans on this board, and still believe he'll come good - and at the time I didn't mind the idea of Montgomery for Eagleton in a straight swap, or even if we had thrown in Dimma (sorry PC). But sheesh, Montgomery, Powell, and a second round draft pick for a 5'10" runner? Crazy, absolutely crazy.

As I said - thinking behind the trade was solid, execution was anything but.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Westy , what's it going to take to get him to come good. We've been waiting a couple of years. From what I've seen in his limited appearances this season there doesn't seem to be too much to enthuse about. I said earliert in this thread he should go back to Werribee for a few weeks and tough it out in the middle. What's your view?

I think Eagleton will be a good player for us, but Powelly and Monty are already good players and have plenty left in them still.

One of the things that annoys me about it is that when Libba goes we're gonna need a tough in and under midfielder, which Powell definetely is, and Eagleton definetely isn't

Originally posted by The Doctor
Westy , what's it going to take to get him to come good. We've been waiting a couple of years. From what I've seen in his limited appearances this season there doesn't seem to be too much to enthuse about. I said earliert in this thread he should go back to Werribee for a few weeks and tough it out in the middle. What's your view?

From what I can see Doc, he's only being given a quarter to a half a game in a forward pocket, which musn't be doing his confidence any good.

If that's going to be the case for the next few weeks, then your suggestion of playing him first rove with Werribee is defintely the better option, IMO.

Once he gets his hands on the ball and confidence up a bit, play him on the ball in the seniors for four quarters, for a few games in a row.... we recruited him for his speed and long kicking into the forward line, so use him in a role which exploits his strengths.

At his absolute best, he will be one of the most damaging players in our line-up.

I was a Powell fan. I guess he was a victim of Wallaces "speed at any cost" campaign. You would have to say that it came through in the case of Robbins, but failed with Eagleton.

Powell and Westy teaming up this year at the bounces, with Brown playing the outside role. hmmm......

Yes, it was a bad deal....it even looked like a sweet deal for Port at the time, and I was an Eagleton fan - still am when I see him play. At that time, it would have been reasonable for the WB to assume that his poor 1999 season was an aberration....hasn't been the same since his heart operation though - lost his ticker.

Originally posted by jboyar
do we concede it was a bad deal ?

OH YEH!
Bad deal all round, but I honestly thought he would be OK. Just has`nt showed those silky skills and could`nt we use him at the moment slotting through those 50 metre left footers on the run.:mad:

Originally posted by Westy_Boy
The thing that really shlt me about that deal was the club's supposed reasoning behind it:

'We need to rejuvenate the list with youth' was the catchcry. Fine - in our position it was a good philosophy to adopt.

But the execution? Nothing short of a joke.

Powell was 23, and one of the very few up and comers at that stage. The draft pick given away would have netted a gun 17 year old in one of the best and deepest drafts ever.

I'm one of the few Eagleton fans on this board, and still believe he'll come good - and at the time I didn't mind the idea of Montgomery for Eagleton in a straight swap, or even if we had thrown in Dimma (sorry PC). But sheesh, Montgomery, Powell, and a second round draft pick for a 5'10" runner? Crazy, absolutely crazy.

As I said - thinking behind the trade was solid, execution was anything but.

We also picked up Patrick Wiggins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back