Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

Harrison and Richards say hi.

Allan worked hard and showed some of his much talked about pace in some of his chase downs. Just gassed at the end. I think he has AFL traits. Still very very young.
Harrison and Richards were playing their roles really well in VFL and had time and composure with the ball in hand, which has translated up into the AFL.

Ed's been rushed at VFL. Perhaps his running and positioning is better and more valuable than I think, but I couldn't work out the selection over Macrae - and I'm someone who doesn't rate Macrae.

Predictably looked well out of his depth. Still see him as a very speculative pick, has good size, athleticism and breeding but, a long way off it yet. The J curve needs to kick in and one suspects that won't be until next season if it comes. The positive is, now he has had a taste of it.

Last edited:
Did about as much as I thought he would, which is not much. Didn’t think he was ready, and he’s clearly not, but hopefully he’ll be better for the experience. Fin can probably be justified in feeling slightly aggrieved for being dropped to bring in Ed.

It’s not the first time a player has been thrown in the deep end, as an assessment to whether he would handle the top tier.
Irrespective of reserves form.
If the selectors believe he can acquit and be comfortable at the level that’s fine by me.
I wasn’t an unmitigated disaster for a first appearance.
Some expectations are ridiculous on here.

Did about as much as I thought he would, which is not much. Didn’t think he was ready, and he’s clearly not, but hopefully he’ll be better for the experience. Fin can probably be justified in feeling slightly aggrieved for being dropped to bring in Ed.
Finn might feel aggrieved, but he has not shown he is quick enough to be a damaging small forward and has not shone as a midfielder. You don't get dropped if what you offer makes you indispensable. Joe Richards, Sullivan and Harvey are examples of this.

Finn might feel aggrieved, but he has not shown he is quick enough to be a damaging small forward and has not shone as a midfielder. You don't get dropped if what you offer makes you indispensable. Joe Richards, Sullivan and Harvey are examples of this.
I’m not convinced on either player, but I’m pretty certain Finn stats would have influenced the game more than Ed’s running patterns, which is all his possessions amounted to.

I think he showed some positive signs, but also likely wasn’t ready and didn’t have much of an impact. Needs more games at any level and another offseason in the gym.

I think he showed some positive signs, but also likely wasn’t ready and didn’t have much of an impact. Needs more games at any level and another offseason in the gym.
I'm not making excuses for young Edward and you're likely correct.
Wing just isn't his thing and inside midfield, he will need to bulk up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to believe.

But I just see a taller Jay Rantell

He has some speed at least which Rantall never had.

He just doesn't have much composure with ball in hand and often will handball it forward to the opposition when about to be tackled, does it at VFL level too. Hopefully this game gives him some confidence to develop further at VFL level.

How many players over the history of the game have had a slow start in their first game?

In this age of instant gratification it seems like we expect every player who debuts to have a blinder (relatively speaking).

Personally I'd give Ed a couple more games and see how he handles it. Personnel issues may force the issue on that anyway.

Last edited:
How many players over the history of the game have had a slow start in their first game?

In this age of instant gratification it seems like we expect every player who debuts to have a blinder (relatively speaking).

Personally I've give Ed a couple more games and see how he handles it. Personnel issues may force the issue on that anyway.

Agree Give a Kid more then 1 Game to make your mind up

Look at Josh Daicos took him 3-4 Seasons to really come good

… I couldn't work out the selection over Macrae - and I'm someone who doesn't rate Macrae.

Maybe for developing players, selection committee don’t always pick the best player?

Maybe they instead pick the player who is getting the best out of themselves? Working the hardest? Following instructions?

The intent is that developing players are made to earn their opportunities - irrespective of their talent. And that there are consequences if they aren’t working as hard as the coaches think they could - irrespective of their talent. Or if they’re not following instructions as closely as the coaches think they should be - irrespective of their talent.

The reason is that selection committee will be thinking long term - not just about the next game. Getting the best out of each player long term, not just winning a game of footy against Western Bulldogs.

Maybe we saw this with Ginnivan at times last year? And whoever Carmichael played instead of in his first season.

Maybe for developing players, selection committee don’t always pick the best player?

Maybe they instead pick the player who is getting the best out of themselves? Working the hardest? Following instructions?

The intent is that developing players are made to earn their opportunities - irrespective of their talent. And that there are consequences if they aren’t working as hard as the coaches think they could - irrespective of their talent. Or if they’re not following instructions as closely as the coaches think they should be - irrespective of their talent.

The reason is that selection committee will be thinking long term - not just about the next game. Getting the best out of each player long term, not just winning a game of footy against Western Bulldogs.

Maybe we saw this with Ginnivan at times last year? And whoever Carmichael played instead of in his first season.
Ed has at least three things in his favour - height, endurance and speed.
Which could be why he was picked ahead of Fin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back