Electric shavers

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
As I get older my skin is just not what is used to be, and after shaving I look and feel like I've being burnt all over my face. A bit of research tells me maybe an electric shaver is the solution to my problems, but I'm overwhelmed with the choices.

So, fellow big footy crew, do any of you use electric shavers and can you give me tips on which brand/type to go with?

Tough one - easy to spend a chunk of cash on something that you can't stand after a few uses.

There are two types that I know of - foil (eg. the classic Remington ads) and rotary head (eg. Philishave). I've used mostly rotary and found them ok but not as good as a razor. Currently I use a Philips rotary a couple of times a week which takes it down to an acceptable stubble, and then occasionally a razor when I want to be clean-shaven. A mate swears by his wet & dry rotary (don't know the brand, sorry) which is cordless and can be used dry or in the shower. He looks neat & tidy.
My skin reacts to both electric and blade shaving (and fair skin which makes it look like I've been using sandpaper), so I just started shaving less often and looked like a trendsetter when the 2-day growth look become fashionable.

As far as foil shavers go, I keep a small battery-powered (AA) foil shaver for work emergencies and travel but wouldn't use it regularly. It heats up too quickly and clogs often. The few times I've borrowed a proper version from a mate I've had the same problems so I've never bothered to buy one.

FWIW, one thing that has helped a lot with blade shaving was using a shaving brush with a better quality shave cream.

Hope that helps, or at least gets discussion rolling.

I bought an electric for holiday trips, it was around $100 so was decent quality. I would rather shave with a blade though, it just misses spots easily and never cuts close around the neck area. One tip I have found to avoid irritation with a blade shave is to go against all advice and shave before a shower. I use an old type double edge razor and shave soap with a brush.

I find a traditional DE razor is the best option for avoiding razor burn. It doesn't require pressure on the skin for a close shave, so irritation is minimal.

I second the DE razor option. That and a good quality soap rather than s**t in a can. Could also add a post shave cream if you want.

If you do want to stick with an electric though, I have a lot of trust in Wahl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back