Unrestricted Free Agent Elliot Yeo [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure it’s worth us letting him go then. Pick 20 odd for Yeo isn’t enough of a needle mover for us to make the change
I don’t even think it would be pick 20.
Honestly I think it would be pick 40 by the time draft night rolls around. I agree with you it’s barely worth it for west coast.

You are in a bit of a pickle in that to get more picks in to the club from the top 20 of the ND, you need to let someone of genuine value go.
You start asking that age old question - is he in our next premiership team? If not, they probably should be traded out.
I’m thinking Kelly, Duggan, Barass, Ryan - those types. Potentially even Oscar Allen.

The compromised drafts have ****ed it to be honest. Having the first pick of the second round start at pick 30 is bullshit.
In 2009 Fremantle finished 3rd last and selected Anthony Morabito at pick 4 (dees had a PP at pick 1) and then selected Nat Fyfe with pick 20, their second round pick.

If it had been 2023, we would have had our R2 pick fall at pick 33, and Fyfe would have been long since gone off the board.
It’s just an example of how stuffed the draft has become even allowing for the fact there is now 2 extra teams.

I don’t even think it would be pick 20.
Honestly I think it would be pick 40 by the time draft night rolls around. I agree with you it’s barely worth it for west coast.

You are in a bit of a pickle in that to get more picks in to the club from the top 20 of the ND, you need to let someone of genuine value go.
You start asking that age old question - is he in our next premiership team? If not, they probably should be traded out.
I’m thinking Kelly, Duggan, Barass, Ryan - those types. Potentially even Oscar Allen.

The compromised drafts have ****ed it to be honest. Having the first pick of the second round start at pick 30 is bullshit.
In 2009 Fremantle finished 3rd last and selected Anthony Morabito at pick 4 (dees had a PP at pick 1) and then selected Nat Fyfe with pick 20, their second round pick.

If it had been 2023, we would have had our R2 pick fall at pick 33, and Fyfe would have been long since gone off the board.
It’s just an example of how stuffed the draft has become even allowing for the fact there is now 2 extra teams.

Nah we don’t need to go the North Melbourne route. Keep the older guys and draft around them.

Really, Yeo has to take that deal. WC shouldn't be desperate enough to offer close to that
Why would he take an extra $150k a year when he’d be on 750k anyway to ship himself, his fiancé and soon to be newborn into another state? Apparently his old man is crook too. If it was to your mob down the road it would be ill advised but understandable. I’d be flabbergasted if he left.

Yeo gets two years with triggers for a 3rd. If he doesnt make the 3rd he steps into a coaching role to cover some of the lost income. We nudge up his first season and front load before the kids start earning big bucks.

Evens out to to $2.2m over three years, the last possibly coaching. $500k less than Crows offer, after tax is $300k over 3 years more if he moves.

Would he move for $100k more a year?

Yeo gets two years with triggers for a 3rd. If he doesnt make the 3rd he steps into a coaching role to cover some of the lost income. We nudge up his first season and front load before the kids start earning big bucks.

Evens out to to $2.2m over three years, the last possibly coaching. $500k less than Crows offer, after tax is $300k over 3 years more if he moves.

Would he move for $100k more a year?
He’s back! Think that’s a sensible contract and no, he doesn’t move for $100k a year

Why would he take an extra $150k a year when he’d be on 750k anyway to ship himself, his fiancé and soon to be newborn into another state? Apparently his old man is crook too. If it was to your mob down the road it would be ill advised but understandable. I’d be flabbergasted if he left.
Is there anything suggesting only 150k less a year? Would you have thought more than 500k a year for two years originally before hearing of this Adelaide offer?

Is there anything suggesting only 150k less a year? Would you have thought more than 500k a year for two years originally before hearing of this Adelaide offer?
With the amount of s@*t that is thrown around in the media just to generate clicks who knows what’s accurate. With Adelaide’s list state I just can’t see how they could responsibly offer almost $1m a year to an injury prone 30yo and yes initial Eagles offer would have comfortably been more than 500k/year.

Ralph flat out said forget Yeo he’ll stay last night on midweek tackle and after the Harley circus last year I know better than to believe any of their shit. I’ll wait to hear it from Yeo’s manager who TBF is probably just shaking the apple tree.

Last I heard the gap between WC and Adelaide's offer is $1,000,000. Not $100,000 per year.
The $100k pa is after tax.

Your $1000,000 difference is pre tax.

Eagles know they don't need to 100% match any interstate offer. It costs money to relocate and upend your family.

We can always slot him in as a assistant coach post retirement to make up the difference and spread the cost over a couple more years plus gives him longer term security.

Not a good look for the kids if we let him go. And cap space isn't an issue in the next three years.

The $100k pa is after tax.

Your $1000,000 difference is pre tax.

I'm content with the values of the contracts being directly compared and if one is a million dollars more across three years I can understand why you say it's $100-150k after tax extra a year.

$300 to 450k in cash difference is life changing money in the last contract he will get out of playing footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm content with the values of the contracts being directly compared and if one is a million dollars more across three years I can understand why you say it's $100-150k after tax extra a year.

$300 to 450k in cash difference is life changing money in the last contract he will get out of playing footy.

How much does it cost to relocate interstate not to mention with your partner expecting their first child?

As mentioned, a couple of years post retirement on a coaching salary at the Eagles makes up the difference pretty easily. He remains in WA close to family and is well rewarded.

There are several ways to smooth out the difference in offers and the Eagles know that don't need to match 100% as relocating comes at a cost both financially and non financially.

Given the health problems with his old man I don’t think Yeo will leave WA. IMO I think WCE will bridge the gap on the crows offer and he remains at the eagles.

How much does it cost to relocate interstate not to mention with your partner expecting their first child?

As mentioned, a couple of years post retirement on a coaching salary at the Eagles makes up the difference pretty easily. He remains in WA close to family and is well rewarded.

There are several ways to smooth out the difference in offers and the Eagles know that don't need to match 100% as relocating comes at a cost both financially and non financially.

That $1.3 million first year payment should pay off the house in Adelaide in a year and will fund a lot of family trips over to Adelaide to spend time with the Yeos.

That $1.3 million first year payment should pay off the house in Adelaide in a year and will fund a lot of family trips over to Adelaide to spend time with the Yeos.

Tax?

Stamp duty on purchase?

Relocation costs above what the club can pay.

First child on the way with family in WA.

Crook dad.

Already established in WA and happy.

Money isnt everything and he has been very well paid to date so isnt in the same boat as say Baker who has been getting unders and started late.

Time will tell.

Tax?

Stamp duty on purchase?

Relocation costs above what the club can pay.

You make it sound like he won't own another property mortgage free or nearabouts by the time the season ends in his first year of a contract.

With $1.3 million on his first season's contract he can buy a place, borrow to buy it, and stock the whole house with new living needs then simply fly over.

And then earn $700,000 a year for two more years. Then come home.

You make it sound like he won't own another property mortgage free or nearabouts by the time the season ends in his first year of a contract.

With $1.3 million on his first season's contract he can buy a place, borrow to buy it, and stock the whole house with new living needs then simply fly over.

And then earn $700,000 a year for two more years. Then come home.

Time will tell.

Money isnt everything. Family life and situation matters. You ignored that.

And he will be well paid to stay. During and potentially even post playing career at the Eagles.

Now if Freo offered him a much better deal than the Eagles I'd be worried.

I'd imagine a lot of that has to do with them offering an extra year?

Indeed, he is at the stage of his career where the extra year matters. At this end of the contract anyway, chances of being offered a year at $700,000 as a thirty two/thirty three year old would be quite slim.

Dustin Martin would be in a similar spot. A side that can offer the security of an extra year or two of star money now could win the signature.

And ultimately these guys destroy themselves to play footy, they are entitled to cash in when their stock price is high and the hour grows late.

Indeed, he is at the stage of his career where the extra year matters. At this end of the contract anyway, chances of being offered a year at $700,000 as a thirty two/thirty three year old would be quite slim.

Dustin Martin would be in a similar spot. A side that can offer the security of an extra year or two of star money now could win the signature.

And ultimately these guys destroy themselves to play footy, they are entitled to cash in when their stock price is high and the hour grows late.
I'd be staggered if Dusty was picked up TBH.

Doubt he'd want to leave Richmond anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back