Employment & Career Guidance: In Honor Reykjavik 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

MegaBob work for enjoyment not the $$.
You have an opportunity to work, (albeit casually at this stage) in an environment you know other people have enjoyed.
Depending upon your hours you might be able to pick up other work too.
You may also pick up steady work if you are good at this job.
I've always believed we spend far too much time at work to be doing something we don't enjoy.
That's where I'm leaning towards as well. I see the guys that are partners and managers, and I admire that work ethic, I do. But I'm not excited about that life. Lots of money is nice, but if I can manage a comfortable life working normal hours I'll happily take that instead.

ESL teacher in Shanghai - It's still a worth while job despite crazy inflation and gentrification..

Physiotherapist
VCE tutor

8 months away from becoming a registered physio. The dream is to work for Collingwood and find out why our injuries every season is so shockingly bad hahah. Ask away about any injured players and I can give my two cents on their rehabilitation/time when they could get back. If ya got kids in VCE also happy to give advice on career pathways, subject selections and how to approach their studies.

Imatinib

I finished my degree which is good, I also got knocked back for every single grad role I applied for which is bad. I'm blaming everything else for why I'm in the situation I'm in and not the obvious deficiencies that the interviewers must have picked up on. It's a shame but that's life I guess.

I finished my degree which is good, I also got knocked back for every single grad role I applied for which is bad. I'm blaming everything else for why I'm in the situation I'm in and not the obvious deficiencies that the interviewers must have picked up on. It's a shame but that's life I guess.
There are places that can coach you how to conduct yourself in interviews.
Maybe you could seek them out to help you make a better impression.
Don‘t consider your inability to move further than the interview process as a judgement on your abilities. Interviews are an imprecise science. A short interview can never truly reveal the person’s abilities and ultimate worth to a company. They consistently get it wrong.

Keep applying in your field and don't get discouraged

For interviews:
- make sure you know the company + role back to front
- have clear goals for future + clear reasons for the degree you've completed
- have at least 5 questions prepared to ask them
- be human, dont be robotic in your answers
- thank them for the opportunity and their time

There are places that can coach you how to conduct yourself in interviews.
Maybe you could seek them out to help you make a better impression.
Don‘t consider your inability to move further than the interview process as a judgement on your abilities. Interviews are an imprecise science. A short interview can never truly reveal the person’s abilities and ultimate worth to a company. They consistently get it wrong.
Yeah potentially, one feedback I got is that I should be more confident in interviews. Not that I'm shy, I think it's more I'm extremely quick to self-deprecate. It's difficult to quantify how I feel in words but I just finished uni as a 30 year old when I'm competing with enthusiastic 20 year olds, I just feel like I got into all of this too late and should have just stayed where I was. Saying that, I'm in a bit of downer at the moment. Everyone I know has quite good jobs, bought houses and all that meanwhile I have nothing going for me instead a newly acquired $40k HELP debt. I don't know.

Keep applying in your field and don't get discouraged

For interviews:
- make sure you know the company + role back to front
- have clear goals for future + clear reasons for the degree you've completed
- have at least 5 questions prepared to ask them
- be human, dont be robotic in your answers
- thank them for the opportunity and their time
So far that's what I think I've been doing. I don't go into interviews empty handed, I know the job, the company, the values or whatever they want to call them and armed with some relevant questions. It's hard not to think the problem is just me as a person and a presentation.

Yeah potentially, one feedback I got is that I should be more confident in interviews. Not that I'm shy, I think it's more I'm extremely quick to self-deprecate. It's difficult to quantify how I feel in words but I just finished uni as a 30 year old when I'm competing with enthusiastic 20 year olds, I just feel like I got into all of this too late and should have just stayed where I was. Saying that, I'm in a bit of downer at the moment. Everyone I know has quite good jobs, bought houses and all that meanwhile I have nothing going for me instead a newly acquired $40k HELP debt. I don't know.

So far that's what I think I've been doing. I don't go into interviews empty handed, I know the job, the company, the values or whatever they want to call them and armed with some relevant questions. It's hard not to think the problem is just me as a person and a presentation.
I know its kinda contradictory but I like to think before an interview that if I do badly at least I'm never gonna see them again :)

I have no genuine idea if your age is an advantage, disadvantage or has no impact in all honesty, I wont pretend I have a clue about that. But I wouldnt have thought 30 is that old though, you're only 6-7 years older than most of the others. I know someone who got a grad role at the age of 27

Interviewing can be a brutal process, hang in there! If your field is data engineering or analytics-related I might be able to give some useful advice, feel free to PM me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back