Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybe if they get through the new ball, Cummins is a better all rounder than M.Marsh. If Paine can dig in it really is possible to win.
If they are still in when the new ball comes theyll be alright.

1 needs to make a ton at the very least

Tomorrow will either end in:
- an all-time classic thrilling finish
Or
- a total letdown

I hope it’s the former! Cricket needs a little feel-good boost! Especially Test cricket.

Then maybe Wayne and Kirky can shut the * up for the rest of the summer series! Hehe

Dont think we'll get much out of the GOAT, he usually only has one of those innings once every few games.

The 2 in and Paine will need to do 90% of the work. Going by recent history I doubt we get to lunch

Both of those things are not true
+
The first one patently is
+
One of the greatest batsmen ?? Nope not yet.
Absolutely "yet", one of the greatest batsmen, of players who've played more than 20 Tests.
Smith's average is 13 runs higher than his closest peer, Warner (61.37, 48.20); 7 more than Kohli, nearly 11 more than Pujara and Root.

EDIT: Purist Ponting might've been better to watch than the unorthodox/fidgety Smith (MWaugh and GChappell too, and others). The bloke I'd want most to bat for my life would be someone like Steve Waugh or Alan Border, but Smith's right up there.

Last edited:
Finch, nice bloke but brain dead, not a Test opener's ahole.
Harris, maybe worth developing, too early to call. Is Renshaw a better choice?
Khawaja, irresponsible rush of blood.
Handscomb, meh.
I'd love to see SMarsh and Head compile a huge partnership (but doubt it) and after one of them get out the house of cards is likely to tumble. Reminds me of the team 'led' by Bobby Simpson in his second time around :(. Took 10 years and Alan Border, to recover. Most of the Aussie batsmen seem not to have the patience or technique for Test cricket, which is more attrition than a sprint like T20.

Statistically speaking these guys are great, but IMO Smith isnt at the Ponting level, much less Greg Chappell.

Hard to argue with Lyon, though being our greatest offie is like winning the Carlton BnF this year. I disagree about the quicks though, none of them would be top 15 in our history
Smith and Ponting are comparable. Both have the perfect blend of defense and attack, with great decision making. It’s not easy to compare different eras, but I think overall, the batting averages does lean towards Bradman being our best and Ponting/Smith being the next 2 best batsmen.

Though batting averages alone does not paint a true picture. Particularly in the case of Smith, where his first few years of batting for Australia his batting average was around the 30 or low 30s. So to drag his average up to around 60 means his batting average over the recent years would be very Bradman-like, probably in the batting average of 70s-80s!

Last edited:
Finch, nice bloke but brain dead, not a Test opener's ahole.
Harris, maybe worth developing, too early to call. Is Renshaw a better choice?
Khawaja, irresponsible rush of blood.
Handscomb, meh.
I'd love to see SMarsh and Head compile a huge partnership (but doubt it) and after one of them get out the house of cards is likely to tumble. Reminds me of the team 'led' by Bobby Simpson in his second time around :(. Took 10 years and Alan Border, to recover. Most of the Aussie batsmen seem not to have the patience or technique for Test cricket, which is more attrition than a sprint like T20.
Here’s a good article on Finch, and how successful he’s been in various batting spots in the Sheffield Shield.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...n/news-story/61ccd966d825c2dfc301e14587b86232
It’s interesting to me, because it seems Cricket Australia is using Finch’s ODI/T20 form to select him as Test opener rather than the Sheffield form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Though batting averages alone does not paint a true picture. Particularly in the case of Smith, where his first few years of batting for Australia his batting average was around the 30 or low 30s. So to drag his average up to around 60 means his batting average over the recent years would be very Bradman-like, probably in the batting average of 70s-80s!
Batting averages after, say, 40-50 Tests are a good indicator, but do not take into account 1st vs 2nd Innings, or opponent, or situation/state of game, or state of wicket (even Dizzy Gillespie got 201* :eek: :drunk:, but vs Bangla Desh :rolleyes:).
Gilchrist's Test avge is 47.6 which is fantastic for a keeper/#7, but he was a match-winner and often changed a game to Oz's favour. LOVED watching Gilly bat when he was on song *sigh*. Top bloke too.
Put Smith, Warner-the-grub and Gilly in current side (drop Finch, SMarsh and Paine) and ... yeah, I'm dreamin' :drunk: :shoutyoldman:.

EDIT: good article, mate. " In the eight times Finch has opened the batting in a Sheffield Shield game he averages just 18.50 at a strike rate of 42.7. And in the 87 times he’s batted anywhere else in the order Finch averages 32.43." :eek:

Batting averages after, say, 40-50 Tests are a good indicator, but do not take into account 1st vs 2nd Innings, or opponent, or situation/state of game, or state of wicket (even Dizzy Gillespie got 201* :eek: :drunk:, but vs Bangla Desh :rolleyes:).
Gilchrist's Test avge is 47.6 which is fantastic for a keeper/#7, but he was a match-winner and often changed a game to Oz's favour. LOVED watching Gilly bat when he was on song *sigh*. Top bloke too.
Put Smith, Warner-the-grub and Gilly in current side (drop Finch, SMarsh and Paine) and ... yeah, I'm dreamin' :drunk: :shoutyoldman:.

EDIT: good article, mate. " In the eight times Finch has opened the batting in a Sheffield Shield game he averages just 18.50 at a strike rate of 42.7. And in the 87 times he’s batted anywhere else in the order Finch averages 32.43." :eek:
Gilly has well & truly retired!

Carey will be the next test keeper, but won't be for a while given Paine is captain.

Here’s a good article on Finch, and how successful he’s been in various batting spots in the Sheffield Shield.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...n/news-story/61ccd966d825c2dfc301e14587b86232
It’s interesting to me, because it seems Cricket Australia is using Finch’s ODI/T20 form to select him as Test opener rather than the Sheffield form.
Finch just isn't an opener in the longer form of the game.

The selectors really need to start using some common sense.

Most frustrating player in Australian cricket, S Marsh.

Outside of Clarke and Smith should have been the best batsman we've had since our golden era - but has a middling record. Has always been vulnerable early in his innings which has crippled him as a player.

If he'd worked out a way to fight and guts himself through his first 25 balls at the crease he'd have an excellent test record.

Instead your heart is in your mouth every time he first walks out there.

Most frustrating player in Australian cricket, S Marsh.

Outside of Clarke and Smith should have been the best batsman we've had since our golden era - but has a middling record. Has always been vulnerable early in his innings which has crippled him as a player.

If he'd worked out a way to fight and guts himself through his first 25 balls at the crease he'd have an excellent test record.

Instead your heart is in your mouth every time he first walks out there.

Cricket version of Brent Reilly?

Radar had a decent enough career but looked capable of so much more.

Cricket version of Brent Reilly?

Radar had a decent enough career but looked capable of so much more.
Maybe a Jarrad Waite

Capable of bags of goals, big grabs, excellent when he's on

But too often through his career has done sweet **** all

Maybe a Jarrad Waite

Capable of bags of goals, big grabs, excellent when he's on

But too often through his career has done sweet **** all

He also destroyed us a number of times, like S. Marsh against the Redbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back