Essendon guilty verdict hypothetical

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically speaking, just say the investigation only wraps up in late August (which is what looks likely). The Bombers are top 4 but are found guilty of breaching WADA, with 6-12 players found to have "doped" and facing suspensions. What happens?

The AFL is left in a situation where a top 4 team may be uncompetitive in the finals due to suspended players. The alternative being to allow them to play out the season while any appeals play out, but strip them of the premiership if they win it (assuming the appeals are unsuccessful). This also means another team may be denied the chance to play for a premiership.

I'm thinking that the only viable option would be to strip Essendon of premiership points before any appeal is heard on the basis of protecting the integrity of the finals. Does anyone else have another take on what could happen?

***This is not to pre-judge Essendon, but it was a question that I thought was worth exploring.***
***I have not mentioned Melbourne because they are unlikely to play finals.***
***I have not mentioned other teams as none have been publicly implicated in the scandal.***

Players, officials and coaches should be banned as soon as proven guilty. If any guilty play or official has competed this season the club should be stripped of this years points and be put last at each round in the draft (should probably exclude them from rounds 1 &2) Oh and those banned should be banned from participating in any sport at any level and not be allowed to work in the AFL media.

Cheats should be thrown out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back