Expert warns of AFL demise

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess who was on the front/back page of EVERY Australian newspaper after the Socceroos won against Japan in Germany? They even printed a late edition because of it!

Hint: It wasn't Chris Judd. Or Lance Franklin, for that matter.

This is all I could find in the Latrobe Valley Express.
Nothing on Tim Cahill.

[FONT=&quot]Round ball game takes off[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 Jun, 2006 09:59 AM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GIPPSLAND Soccer League (GSL) officials are revelling in a boost to the sport's popularity courtesy of the World Cup which began in Germany at the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A GSL spokesperson said the game has experienced a huge boost in participation and enthusiasm which could increase even more when A-League side Melbourne Victory heads our way. Melbourne Victory will bring its `Country Roadshow' to the region on Saturday 1 July. Several Victory players will accompany the Roadshow to meet local junior and senior players and spectators.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The GSL has planned a fun day at Latrobe City Soccer Stadium, Crinigan Road Morwell from 10.30am where players can register and join in the activities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The League will also acknowledge its state representative players who have gained selection for the upcoming national titles for their respective age groups.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All members of the community including school children, teachers and parents are welcome to experience the "world game" on the day, the spokesperson said.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]World cup splits family[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LEAH METHER [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]26 Jun, 2006 12:32 PM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WHEN the Socceroos take on Italy in the second round of the World Cup in Germany on Tuesday morning, the allegiances of Traralgon's Tripodi family will be split.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While Australian born Joe Tripodi will be cheering on the Aussie boys, his Italian born father Damian will be barracking for his homeland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I have great feeling for Australia but the heart says Italy," Mr Tripodi senior told The Express on Friday after the Socceroos advanced to the knock out stage of the tournament.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It's going to be a special day. My heart will be pumping blood of rainbow colours with the red, white and green of Italy and the green and gold of Australia.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We (Joe and I) are father and son, we agree on everything, but I will be barracking for Italy and he for Australia."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But while Italy may have Mr Tripodi's heart, he said whatever the result, he could not lose as he barracked for both teams.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Timmy Cahill has a higher profile nation wide then any Aussie Rules player.

I wouldnt doubt that at all. He's a fantastic soccer player. I think he would have made a very good small forward in a footy team:footy:. The problem for Oz soccer is that guys of his quality will never play for a club in this country.( before he's about 38y.o:eek: anyway). That is why the local A-league will never trouble the other codes. It will always be a poor product, having to hide in the winter. play in the summer & hope that big FAT BLAT can come over & help it out.

I wouldnt doubt that at all. He's a fantastic soccer player. I think he would have made a very good small forward in a footy team:footy:. The problem for Oz soccer is that guys of his quality will never play for a club in this country.( before he's about 38y.o:eek: anyway). That is why the local A-league will never trouble the other codes. It will always be a poor product, having to hide in the winter. play in the summer & hope that big FAT BLAT can come over & help it out.

Nobody doubts that. I prefer watching footy over the A league, as the A league doesn't contain elite players. Nothing to do with the sport itself, just the standard of the league here. As the A league runs in summer, I can enjoy both . I do prefer the EPL to the AFL though.

Anyone who claims that they do not know who or what timmy cahill looks like are delusional. Been on thousands of weetbix ads, was plastered all over the news when Aus played at the world cup and also when we beat Japan at the G this year.

I was one of those fast asleep at the time not watching that match. How can you say delusional? I don't know what he looks like. I only watch commercial TV for cricket, AFL, F1/MotoGP or NFL. Other than that I only watch ABC or SBS.

In terms of media profile, Socceroos reign surpreme, over any Aussie Rules club, although not over the AFL as a whole (as one would expect). Australia vs Italy at the 2006 World Cup had 2.2 million viewers, despite being telecast at 1am in the morning.

Anyone who claims that they do not know who or what timmy cahill looks like are delusional. Been on thousands of weetbix ads, was plastered all over the news when Aus played at the world cup and also when we beat Japan at the G this year.

I know who he is, but if he walked past me in the street I would not know who he was.

I don't think that is delusional.
Someone who says that 60% of Australians live in the triangle between Woolongong, Newcastle and Canberra, that is delusional.

Yes, if by media interest, you mean "media bias".

n669677886_769343_7373.jpg

How can it be media bias? Surely if there was enough demand for soccer news then the media would supply it? People in Aus don't particularly care about Soccer unless the WC is on, then we'll watch it for the few weeks Australia plays and forget about it for the next 4 years.

How can it be media bias? Surely if there was enough demand for soccer news then the media would supply it? People in Aus don't particularly care about Soccer unless the WC is on, then we'll watch it for the few weeks Australia plays and forget about it for the next 4 years.

They go out of their way to bury it, to appease the AFL and NRL.

At the end of the day, across the whole nation, streets and bars were packed to watch our socceroos in action at the world cup. I didn't see too many news reports of streets and bars packed in Sydney to watch St Kilda vs Geelong in the AFL grand final this year.

Luckily, Australia jagged three late goals agaisnt Japan to keep the interest alive - and the ref turned a blind eye to an obvious Cahill penalty.

Otherwise, it was all over red rover before it had even begun.

Next year, Germany will take three points in their first game, and that will be that.

They go out of their way to bury it, to appease the AFL and NRL.

as BZ said, if there's demand, the media will provide it - they don't intentionally create loss making situations for themselves.

Speaking of media bias, Australia has has a publicly funded station dedicating about 10% of its airtime solely to soccer for almost 30 years.

Such taxpayer generosity in the media is unchallenged in Australian sporting history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as BZ said, if there's demand, the media will provide it - they don't intentionally create loss making situations for themselves.

Speaking of media bias, Australia has has a publicly funded station dedicating about 10% of its airtime solely to soccer for almost 30 years.

Such taxpayer generosity in the media is unchallenged in Australian sporting history.

I'd have to agree with this about the Soccer Before Sex channel, absolutely disgusting that a government channel can be so biased to one sport.

It's probably more like 25% of air time actually.

That sums up my viewing habits.

That sums up my viewing habits.

Whenever there is top quality soccer on TV (eg world cup matches, olympic games, EPL etc), Aussies watch it in droves, all over the country. Quite naturally, the lower standard A League attracts far less viewers - it isn't even in the 20 best football leagues in the world. Just imagine the sort of viewers/crowds the 20th best AFL competition gets, and you have an accurate comparison.

Whenever there is top quality soccer on TV (eg world cup matches, olympic games, EPL etc), Aussies watch it in droves, all over the country. Quite naturally, the lower standard A League attracts far less viewers - it isn't even in the 20 best football leagues in the world. Just imagine the sort of viewers/crowds the 20th best AFL competition gets, and you have an accurate comparison.

How well do you reckon the EPL rates??

How well do you reckon the EPL rates??

Well enough that every news service seems to include the scores in their sports section. Wouldn't do that if people didn't care - you don't see them reporting the scores for the NBA or NFL, do you?

Well enough that every news service seems to include the scores in their sports section. Wouldn't do that if people didn't care - you don't see them reporting the scores for the NBA or NFL, do you?

That actually didn't answer the question.

You can look up the Fox ratings very easily - and the EPL ratings are way down there with the A-League ratings.

That actually didn't answer the question.

You can look up the Fox ratings very easily - and the EPL ratings are way down there with the A-League ratings.

Ratings are obviously linked to when telecasts are on. Considering that EPL games are telecast at 2am, 4am etc for the most, they rate superbly.

Ratings are obviously linked to when telecasts are on. Considering that EPL games are telecast at 2am, 4am etc for the most, they rate superbly.

At the start of the EPL season, you will find games on at around 10:30 and 11pm - doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

But let us consider this even further.

Let us say the EPL rates superbly, and continues to grow - is that somethign for Australian soccer fans to hang their hat off?

Where is the money going in relation to that? All off shore.

Why do Australian soccer fans try and bathe in the reflected glory of the EPL? So that we can end up like Malaysia? Soccer is the number one sport, but the NT is crap, the local league is crap, and everyone follows the EPL.

At the start of the EPL season, you will find games on at around 10:30 and 11pm - doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

But let us consider this even further.

Let us say the EPL rates superbly, and continues to grow - is that somethign for Australian soccer fans to hang their hat off?

Where is the money going in relation to that? All off shore.

Why do Australian soccer fans try and bathe in the reflected glory of the EPL? So that we can end up like Malaysia? Soccer is the number one sport, but the NT is crap, the local league is crap, and everyone follows the EPL.

Don't forget, the A league is only four years old. I estimate it will take approximately 20-30 years before it approaches anything resembling the quality of say the EPL. That's how the FFA have planned it. As I said in a previous thread - I watch footy over the A league when the two are on at the same time (which doesn't happen much generally). I do prefer to watch the EPL over the AFL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back