Fantasy Books

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, Eye of the World Wheel of Time. Ah Terry Brooks, another I need to buy books for. It's a dilemma between buying new books and 'back-filling' series you've enjoyed reading. If you're a fantasy fan though there's just something about having a complete series (or group of series in a world) on your bookshelf. It was overtaken by A Song of Ice and Fire after Jordan's death as my all time favourite series, but having all the Wheel of Time books in hardcover in a row on the shelf does look good. Now I love my tech toys, but as a geek into fantasy books a Kindle or the like, no matter how many books it can hold, will never have the appeal that a physical set of books does.

As for the Greyhawk books if you haven't read Gary Gygax's one's of Gord the Rogue they are worth getting, though hard to get some of them now, as long out of print and were smaller print runs then Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms.
Thanks Andre- I'll look them up because I did like GG's books. Abe Books and eBay might be worth looking at if you're missing a volume or three.

Through my late teens and early twenties I bought so many books. Was moving around so much that they were permanently stashed in a number of boxes. Just got sick of lugging them around so sold them to a 2nd hand bookseller. To be honest I love readers. I npw have more books than I ever had they are just on my tablet.
Dragonlance chronicles were the first true fantasy books that I read back in early high school. Went from them to the wizard of earthsea trilogy (as it was then) then on to the Magician. Great days except for my mates bagging me about reading fairy books lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Through my late teens and early twenties I bought so many books. Was moving around so much that they were permanently stashed in a number of boxes. Just got sick of lugging them around so sold them to a 2nd hand bookseller. To be honest I love readers. I npw have more books than I ever had they are just on my tablet.
Dragonlance chronicles were the first true fantasy books that I read back in early high school. Went from them to the wizard of earthsea trilogy (as it was then) then on to the Magician. Great days except for my mates bagging me about reading fairy books lol.

Poor you. You should've told them you were trail-blazing, not reading fairy books!! People who don't read the same stuff just don't understand, do they? ;) The Fantasy genre has exploded over the last ... I don't know- 20-30 years.... hasn't it?

I actually started with Vol 2 of Stephen Donaldson's Illearth War, which I borrowed from a camp up in the Goldfields (WA), so I could read it on my flight back to Melb. I then bought the rest of the series, one at a time, trying to read each one overnight as I was studying for my final Uni exams... I still don't think I've ever read Vol 1.
My sister then gave me an old copy of The Hobbit that she was about to toss from her class library set because it was falling apart. Of course I had to then buy the boxed set of The Lord of the Rings.

My single bookshelf (which I nicked from work) in my donger in the Goldfields has now given way to 6 bookcases - I think there's about 1500 books now and I'm struggling to fit them in, despite double-stacking them.

Going back to your post- there was a second-hand bookseller here in WA who had to get out of the shop he'd been renting for the past 25 years. It was devastating- he put all of his books up for sale for $2 each and, after 2 months, he still had over 10,000 books left. (I helped him out a fair bit- must've done 10 visits and bought 300 books.) In the end, he was throwing stacks of books into the skip- I only heard about the specialty books going and am not sure what he did with the fiction, etc. He couldn't even get charities to come and pick up- either they said they had too many books at their shops or they asked him to box the books up for them and they'd come and get them. It was a huge job and he was disabled and his wife was pretty old. I felt so sad for them. Tried to get something sorted to help them but they refused help- then it was too late and they ran out of time.

Using my iPad to read on has turned me into a T-Rex, with short forearms. I can't believe how sore I got from reading in bed and I couldn't stretch my arms out!! lol

I'd be interested in hearing how other posters here kicked off their fantasy addiction ;)

+1. Books for me, too- but I don't like the smell of stale books that you sometimes find in the public libraries. I used to buy most of mine new but am happy to read decent second hand books nowadays (as long as they aren't smelly!!).
Local libraries here are OK - The Illearth War is an awesome book,!

I do miss 2nd hand book stores. 18 months ago I was still going to one around the corner from home. Buy one read it and then take it back and get a discount on the next. They shut shop a year or so ago. Not many around now.
Believe it or not I only read the first book of the chronicles of Thomas Covenant 4 months ago. Was good but the writing style was so old (compared to modern fantasy). I think we are spoilt now in that modern writers know they have to grab you and write accordingly, whereas 30 years ago it was all so knew. I feel a little ruined in that I struggle to enjoy older fantasy which blazed the trail for the modern writer. Tjay beong said I am definitely going back to read more Stephen Donaldson.

I do miss 2nd hand book stores. 18 months ago I was still going to one around the corner from home. Buy one read it and then take it back and get a discount on the next. They shut shop a year or so ago. Not many around now.
Believe it or not I only read the first book of the chronicles of Thomas Covenant 4 months ago. Was good but the writing style was so old (compared to modern fantasy). I think we are spoilt now in that modern writers know they have to grab you and write accordingly, whereas 30 years ago it was all so new. I feel a little ruined in that I struggle to enjoy older fantasy which blazed the trail for the modern writer. That being said I am definitely going back to read more Stephen Donaldson.

Local libraries here are OK - The Illearth War is an awesome book,!

I find that at my local libraries that some of the older less amazingly popular books disappear. I understand that there's only so much space but it sux when I'm looking for something specific and it's not there anymore.

My iPhone edits OK- but I don't use Tapatalk. I find it a bit embarrassing sometimes, when I can't download the page fast enough to edit my error, so I rush to the computer (if I'm at home) and try to load it up there and fix my error before anyone sees it ;)

I find that at my local libraries that some of the older less amazingly popular books disappear. I understand that there's only so much space but it sux when I'm looking for something specific and it's not there anymore.

A lot of public libraries are linked on the Internet and you can search for a book and order it in, if you're prepared to wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be interested in hearing how other posters here kicked off their fantasy addiction ;)

I remember The Tripods by John Christopher being one of the earlier Sci Fi books I read and Fantasy came after that, not sure where exactly I started though there's every chance it was the Belgariad (Eddings) and Feist's Magician series. The King's Buccaneer was a new release the first time I read it.... a simpler time :rolleyes:

The kings buccaneer and Prince of the blood were great books between the two series. Been thinking about reading them both for ages. Might have to start a to read list and read them in the order they are put on.

Just finished it. Loved it as much as the first book. Flew through it.

I thought the ending was maybe a little rushed, but plenty more to come in this series. Apparently another 8 books!
Just finished it, MC. Had your post about the ending being rushed in the back of my mind, not sure it was so much, more me rushing to get to the end!:D
Storyline developing beautifully.:thumbsu:

Just finished it, MC. Had your post about the ending being rushed in the back of my mind, not sure it was so much, more me rushing to get to the end!:D
Worth buying the first book, then?? I've been looking at it in the bookshops but have been trying not to buy too many new authors as I have so many other series to complete.

Worth buying the first book, then?? I've been looking at it in the bookshops but have been trying not to buy too many new authors as I have so many other series to complete.

I loved the first one and the second one is the next thing I'm reading. Definitely worth it.

Buy it NOW!:p

Good stuff! I've read Sanderson's Mistborn series as well...it's good (not as good as Stormlight IMO), but the common theme is that he gets extremely epic at the end of books!

The only part I felt a little rushed was the wrap up, i.e. after all the epic fighting and such (trying to be as vague as possible for people who haven't read it haha). But it's barely even a criticism given how long there is to go in the series.

Just looking on wikipedia, the 3rd book, Stones Unhallowed is slated for late 2015! Not too far away at all if he manages that. And where the first book focused on Kaladin and the 2nd on Shallan (in terms of backstory), the 3rd will focus on Szeth.

Just finished the Robin Hobb books of the Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders, the Tawny man and the Rain Wild Chronicles. Had read all of them before except the last 2 in the Rain Wild Chronicles. Really enjoyed them. Over the last almost 20 years I've read them but there was so much time between each series that I couldn't remember all the details of the previous trilogy. Whilst they are all individual stories, reading them together gives you so much more of a clearer picture of how everything relates. Can't wait till August for the first book in the Fitz and the Fool trilogy. For me there is one big unanswered question and I'm hanging to see if I'm on the same page as RH. Will be starting Words of Radiance tomorrow, just need one night to appreciate what I've spent the last 4 months reading.

Happy to hear there will be more Fitz and Fool on the way, I haven't read any of the rain Wilds yet but the three trilogies before that were great.

I thought the Soldier Son Trilogy was a bit of a missed opportunity, some parts were good and the colonial setting was a nice change from medieval but over all it ended up a bit average (imo).

I agree with what you said about the Soldier Son books. There were good parts and I did like the ending but the story moved a bit slow at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back