Father - Daughter Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

What is it with Australians and their love of nepotism?

I don't get it.

It's not really nepotism unless the person being selected under the rule isn't good enough to be worth what the club is giving up for them. It is especially not nepotism if the parent is no longer involved in any official way with the club.

I don't the idea of a mother son rule for two reasons.

Firstly it's giving an unfair advantage to the foundation clubs in the draft. If they are going to introduce it then it should only be implemented and games counted once all the teams have a woman's team.

Secondly the draft is already complicated or compromised as it is. Adding a whole new bunch of mother son draftees is going to complicate and compromise it even more.

I don't the idea of a mother son rule for two reasons.

Firstly it's giving an unfair advantage to the foundation clubs in the draft. If they are going to introduce it then it should only be implemented and games counted once all the teams have a woman's team.

Secondly the draft is already complicated or compromised as it is. Adding a whole new bunch of mother son draftees is going to complicate and compromise it even more.
No different to how the father son rule favours older clubs over the likes of Adelaide, west coast, Brisbane etc

Given the small number of games played, there will be minimal difference between clubs in now, and clubs joining in a few years. The problem will be with clubs that do not join the women's comp at all. My view is, bad luck.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Now that the women's league is full steam ahead, is it time to introduce a mother-and-son rule? Or would that be considered too much of an advantage to the foundation clubs? Personally I am in favour of such a move.
They've already flagged that it's probably going to happen. Father-daughter is already confirmed, they're looking at mother-son and mother-daughter going forward.

What happens if this scenario ever unfolds.

Child of parents whose mum is eligible to club and the father to another.

Does 1 take precedent over the other or does the child choose

What happens if this scenario ever unfolds.

Child of parents whose mum is eligible to club and the father to another.

Does 1 take precedent over the other or does the child choose

Probably exact same as happened with Bailey Rice in last year's draft. Dad had played 100+ at two clubs, he had to nominate which one he wanted to go F/S to I think.

What if the mum becomes a dad further down the track? surely father son comes into effect.
200_s.gif

No different to how the father son rule favours older clubs over the likes of Adelaide, west coast, Brisbane etc
I'm not sure of this but I think with West Coast and Adelaide they could take players under the F/S rule if their dad played a 150 games for certain clubs within their state league before they joined the AFL and I think Brisbane could of claimed F/S from sons of players who played for Fitzroy when they merged (again I'm not 100% sure of this). There isn't really a disadvantage for those teams with the F/S rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That cycles out after a generation though

This is a permanent bias as not all clubs will have affiliate sides

Given the current season will be 8 games long, that's a career of 12+ seasons to qualify.

Can't imagine too many of the current crop will play 100 games to be honest
Talking about Father-Daughter not anything else. Should just change it to Father-Child with the same restrictions.

Mother-Child is a completely different thing and wont really be relevant for at least 10-15 years.

Talking about Father-Daughter not anything else. Should just change it to Father-Child with the same restrictions.

Mother-Child is a completely different thing and wont really be relevant for at least 10-15 years.

Some are arguing mother son should be eligable after six games

This is a mother-son question.

Let me get this straight, does this that a AFL club that has a woman team with the mother playing x amount of games would mean her son would be eligible to go to the same club in the AFL as apart of the mother-son rule? If true that is the stupidest, most unfair PC crap I've ever heard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back